5.0 out of 5 stars Dream device
Before I start my actual review, I need to mention that this is my first smartphone. I've been refusing to buy one for many years now, as I had no need of it. Contrary to that I've been using ASUS Android tablets for 2 years now. Before buying the xperia, I was looking for a device to replace my Asus TF300 Tablet and it was then that I stumbled upon the Z ultra...
Published 10 months ago by Kriton

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
This is all about size.

Most people who see it think it's not even a phone but a tablet.

You have to be sure you want a tablet that can make phone calls and not a big phone.

The screen is very crisp but for reasons that escape me, always gets dirty - I have had a Samsung Note, then a Note 2 and never had a screen issue with their...
Published 10 months ago by Mr. D. J. Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Phone., 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sony Xperia Z Ultra SIM-free Android Smartphone - Black (Electronics)
This is the first review about any product and is purely because I feel this phone deserves one.

I suppose if your reading this the first thing you want to know about is the size. well yes it is rather big and alot of the time you need two hands but i find it fits in my jeans pocket fine, if it was any bigger then it would be a problem but even sitting down and driving my car it didnt feel a nuisance.

Ive had this phone for a couple of weeks now and been using it heavily. First is the battery life which ive managed to get a full days use out of with plenty to spare. If people manage to drain this battery within a day they need to find something better to do with there lives. the screen is amazing to look at I find myself just flicking through things just for the sake of using it, its very responsive. As for the processor, christ this thing is fast, nothing slows it down. i came from a Samsung Galaxy S2 and i thought that was quick but this thing just brings everything up in an instant. What i have noticed is the wifi and the mobile data are alot quicker. whether this is to do with the tech or google chrome im not too sure because i never used chrome on my S2. Ive heard people moan about there not being a flash on the camera with it being such a high end phone but to be honest it doesnt bother me one jot, because ive got better things to do with my time than take pictures of everything and load them on a stupid website.

The one thing i miss is a home button. it just seems slightly more hassle to wrap your hand around and press the side button. i also have a gel case on mine and you have got to press hard sometimes to get it to touch the button but thats more the case's fault than the phones.

All in all if you buy this phone you wont regret it as long as you get an idea of the size. It truly is a great phone.

Well Done Sony!

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic in White, 25 Sep 2013
bought it from ebay at half the price in white. WOW my mind is been blown away. the crispness of the picture and hd movies are incredible. This is a Full HD phone and dear me it look so good. The quickness between apps are also fast lightening. I also find that it fits in to most pockets even though people do say that it can only fit in to certain pockets. The quality of the phone is of high. Sony hasn't used any budget components on this. The screen and colour is beautiful and great to look at.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought For Use On Vodafone Ireland - Working Perfectly, 25 Nov 2013
I purchased the Sony Xperia Z Ultra as a replacement for my old HTC Desire and to meet my need for a small but functional tablet (or phablet in this case). There were no issues setting up the phone in Ireland. A quick trip into my local Vodafone store to replace my standard size SIM card with a Micro-SIM took all of two minutes, no charges involved, and as soon as I rebooted the device I was up and running on the network. So far coverage has been excellent. Setting up the mobile internet access was slightly trickier, I had to download the connection settings over-the-air, but again it was more or less automatic. The phone did it all. WiFI was the same, no different really than setting up any wireless device these days. If you know Android it is all very familiar stuff.

The screen on this phone is gorgeous and all that visual real-estate is used to the max. Web-pages and apps are now a delight. I find myself browsing more than I ever did. Indeed you can comfortably visit the desktop versions of some websites instead of the mobile-enabled versions which can be a plus. Videos, even HD quality, play perfectly. Battery life is better than I expected, two days at the max even with a lot of use.

Ok, this is a big phone. Really big. I'm quite tall and the phone still pokes out of my jeans' pocket so you're probably going to be like me and spend a lot of your time carrying it inside your jacket pockets and such like (if they are large enough). It is also a phone for large hands (which is partly why I bought it). I suspect others might find this off-putting and if you've tried the Samsung Note 3 or similar and thought them too big then this is definitely not the phone for you. On the other hand if you wished for just a little bit of extra screen (but with the same high standards in terms of software and hardware) then this phone cannot be beaten.

One sour point, and why the fifth star is knocked off, are the poor speakers. Industry reviews have described them as average or adequate. They are being generous. With the earphones in they are good (not the Sony supplied earphones which are awful) but try watching a video at the kitchen table with the kettle on and you're going to be disappointed. They are simply drowned out by ambient noise.

My phone came with a free Sony Smartwatch. It looks nice and makes for a nice replacement wristwatch and the fact that it communicates with the phone is fun. However, to be honest, the novelty soon wears off and in time (no pun intended) you soon realise just how limited smartwatch technology is. It is very much in its infant days. Still for 700 euros it makes for a more attractive bundle (October price and bundle offer).

I bought the phone with the "Krusell Malmo FlipCover for Sony Xperia Z Ultra - Black" which is ok. Protects the phone though the front cover is not kept in place with a clasp. You will however need something to protect that precious screen so it will do for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant screen, 23 Jun 2014
If you want the best mobile screen quality experience with the flexibility of a mobile, this phone is a must. Crap camera and memory.

4.0 out of 5 stars A luxury tablet with fantastic design and technology. But..., 12 Aug 2014
Purchased (after a Galaxy Tab 7") in order to have: large and sharp screen; fast processor; light weight and small size (for a tablet); high quality finish and construction. Got all!!!!
I spent a 2 weeks vacations sailing in the Mediterranean, but still in due contact with my business: it was like to have my macbook, but carrying Xperia in my shirt breast pocket!

Also paid a ridicolous price (if compared with Galaxy Note or MiniIpad): €.299,00, with regular guarantee.

The only reason for the missing 5th star is the camera mode, that is the worst I recall from many years of many devices: the photos are ok if in full light; miserable (mostly Brown and yellow) at night or interiors with low illumination.

For the rest, a beautiful device, I would still buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... have this smartphone for 2 weeks and definitely an amazing buy! it's got the total package, 30 Aug 2014
I have this smartphone for 2 weeks and definitely an amazing buy! it's got the total package. I also purchased a Samsung s5 but this one its got a premium look, amazing processor even if it's from 2013. Sometimes the touchscreen doesn't respond but that it's mainly because it comes with a screen protector on the front, so don't put another one. To answer phone calls use headphones or put the speaker loud and put your mouth close to the microphone, otherwise people will think you re very far away!

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer Phone!, 23 Oct 2013
Well, the phone is a killer, win the Olympic gold, for every category, except camera flash. IF taking low-light pictures is all you do on your phone, then skip this device, otherwise it has everything you'd every want plus much much more. If having bigger pockets is more important to you then skip this, because a phone of this premium should be kept in a satchel or similar, as it's an expensive build and not some cheap iphone or plastic device. I can now never go back to those 4 or 5" phones. I use the bluetooth headset to take and make calls and it lasts 2 days on its own. Superfast processor.

PROS: does everything it says on the tin
CONS: no flash, but no big deal for me, as I use a granular setting to capture low-light pics and it works a charm!

5.0 out of 5 stars does everything, 17 Dec 2013
i have been using this phone for about a month now and its still amazing me with what it can do.
its gone beyond all expectations i had when i when i bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic at everything!, 8 Jun 2014
I was hesitant at buying this phone, mainly due to the size, but I was wrong, it's awesome!...from the high quality screen to the effortless way it powers through games and apps with not a hint of lag....Buy it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars great phone, 3 May 2014
Good phone great screen pics look good on it but sound not so good for music also ring tones very quite had to play own songs came louder so could hear. I have Samsung mega & thing that is better