5.0 out of 5 stars Stemming the flow
I'm fast finding that DE shaving is becoming a bit like a new hobby. You buy the latest camera, then a case, then filters, lenses and cleaning materials. Then you need a bigger case to hold all of the stuff you've just bought.

Published 12 months ago by Hampton Caught

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad packaging
The alum block itself is excellent and certainly adds to a more comfortable shave, however I specifically chose this one because of the Perspex case only to find it cracked in several places and no longer fit for purpose so now just have an alum block which I could of bought cheaper in the first place
Disappointing
Published 15 months ago by jpk00

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Stemming the flow, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Osma Bloc - Alum Block (Soothes Shaving Irritation) With Clear Perspex Case 100g (Personal Care)

I have been DE shaving for a month, using the Edwin Jagger De89bl razor and have been delighted with the overall experience. I have, however, nicked myself a couple of times and have then found it difficult to stem the blood flow, relying on large quantities of petroleum jelly which usually ends up on my towel, the mirror and my clothes.

Someone mentioned Alum blocks (a naturally occurring mineral) and I picked this one from Amazon primarily because of the perspex case which makes it useful for travelling, but also because of the glut of five star reviews.

I used it for the first time last night, having nicked myself twice. I rinsed the shaving cream off my face with warm water (I felt it would be best to keep the pores open at this stage) and then held the block under the cold tap before applying it to my skin. Cue a sharp intake of breath as the stinging sensation hit me - more strongly over the cuts, but also on other areas that had obviously suffered slight razor burn. The stinging only lasted a few seconds, but to my amazement, the blood flow had stopped. Completely stopped. I was left with a slight tingling sensation all over the face which left my skin feeling very clean and refreshed.

I left the alum on my face for a while before washing off with cold water and applying some moisturiser. The block itself, which feels very solid, doesn't seem to soak up any water (at least, not on first use), so I left it out to dry for an hour or so and then put it away in its little box. Although the price seemed fairly high, I can already see that as long as I look after it, the block will probably last me a number of years.

After just one use, this is already an essential part of my shaving regime and I loved the way it made my skin feel immediately after applying. Please don't be put off by my references to the stinging - I'd liken it to a nettle sting, though it only lasts a couple of seconds before reducing to a very pleasant 'tingle'. Had I rinsed the shaving cream off my face with cold water (to close the pores) and then applied the alum, there may have been less of a sting, but I'll have to experiment with this. Whenever my Mum used to give me medicine that was unpleasant or ointment that stung, she would say "That shows it's working" and maybe that's always stuck with me, as I liked the sensation on my skin. This morning - ten hours after shaving - there is absolutely no razor burn to be found anywhere and the cuts are barely visible.

One thing that cannot be disputed, is this product's ability to immediately stem any blood flow from shaving cuts. Watching it in action in the shaving mirror last night, was almost like magic and while I half expected the cuts to start bleeding again shortly afterwards, they never did.

A great addition to any DE shaving kit and for most, probably an essential item (it's either this or a styptic pencil). Just one word of warning - keep it away from the lips when applying, as the unpleasant taste is definitely the sting in the tail. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my shaving experience., 21 Feb. 2014
I use the Alum block primarily as post treatment when wet shaving.
After rinsing with cold water, wet the block and rub it over the area just shaved. The Alum is an astringent
which seals up little nick's and cuts. The amount of stinging also highlights areas of the face that may be more sensitive and gives a guide to where you should ease of next shave.
I also use this block as a pre- electric shave treatment, as it tightens the skin, givinga closer shave.
Alum is also an anti-bacterial so can provide some protection to the face when using a razor which has been sitting exposed in the bathroom for a while.
Love this product and it's now a part of my routine wet or dry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential if you use a double edged razor, 15 Aug. 2013
RtheB (Stockport UK) - See all my reviews
I've been using a double edged razor for quite a while now and, even though I am getting better and better at it, I still have the odd nick that won't stop bleeding. This is where the Osma Alum Block comes in. Wet it and wipe it over your face after shaving and any small nicks soon stop bleeding. The perspex case that comes with it is handy for storing it away after use - as long as you make sure it's dry first and, although it's only a small block, it should last for a very long time. It stings slightly when used, but that's a small price to pay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essentilal for wet shavers, 1 Aug. 2013
Having used styptic pencils for years I tried this block, it works much more efficiently than the pencil and does not dry leaving white powdery marks on your skin.
Wet your face with cold running water to close the pores, place block under running cold water and rub gently over the shaved face. This will instantly help close up nicks caused by the razor and also you will feel by the effect, slight stinging and redness, the areas that you have caused razor burns, enabling you to work out where you shaved incorrectly.
I also find that a good quality after shave feed gives the finishing touch to helping you skin rehydrate and return back to normal .
I would suggest that George Trumper or Edwin Jaggers skin products are essential and compliment using this block.
A first class product for all new users to the dual edge razor system.

5.0 out of 5 stars good antiseptic., 2 Dec. 2013
If you nick with blade get this. Antiseptic properties.

Arrived well packed and next day. Does sting abit when applied to skin.

Lasts a long time. After shave wet and apply to skin.

Good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird but works, 28 Nov. 2013
G. J. Knight (Dunmow Essex) - See all my reviews
Never used before but found my change to DB razor resulting in closer shave but with the odd nick, did not see this working but it does soothes and stops any bleeding...but try to avoid getting in mouth yuck

5.0 out of 5 stars Ease the cut away, 9 Nov. 2013
Can't fault this product as it does what it say's it does, when you get small cuts and nicks this stops the bleeding, better value for money than a styptic pencil as one of these will last years(providing you don't drop it).

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 16 Oct. 2013
A standard alum block at a reasonable price. No complaints. Comes in a little plastic case, handy for the bathroom and travelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alum Block, 6 Oct. 2013
Started using these 6 months ago. Have used the one form exec. shaving. It is tiny and doesnt last a long time. This is a good block. Doesn't fall apart when wet. A couple of months in and it is lasting well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Product, 25 Feb. 2014
MattL (Wales, UK.) - See all my reviews
I'm new to DE shaving and invested in one of these. Love it, love the feeling it gives post shave. seems pretty good at stopping any nicks from bleeding. no idea how long this will last, but will defo replace with another when the time comes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›