5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series, well packaged
Published 7 months ago by nametag

3.0 out of 5 stars Great show flawed by stupid product design
Published 17 months ago by Phil Jeruzal

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series, well packaged, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Avatar: The Last Airbender, The Complete 3-Book Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Enough has been written about how good this series is. True, it takes a while to get going in the first season, where there are more standalone episodes, but it really takes off in the second and third. I don't watch many animated series, and for the record some of my other favourite shows include stuff like The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Deadwood and Battlestar Galactica. Don't let the fact it's a 'kids cartoon' deter you from the frequently great storytelling, animation, and characters. The spin off 'The Legend of Korra' is a pretty great follow-up so far too, with even more impressive (and HD) animation.

A note on the packaging. Previously each season was released in fold-out digipack packaging. A 'Complete Collection' was released with those cases inside a thin box, with a lid at the bottom, which post people found very cumbersome. This new release from September 2013 has each season in an individual DVD-sized case housed inside a slipcase with the same artwork. It's much neater, easier to access the discs and, at time of writing, is half the price of the previous release.

If it's of any interest, the release appears to be disc-for-disc identical to previous UK releases, containing the same special features (or lack thereof) and 4:3 aspect ratio. Each of the individual seasons also name the show by its UK title 'Avatar: The Legend of Aang' on the cover/spines, whilst the outer case calls by it's original name 'Avatar: The Last Airbender'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great show flawed by stupid product design, 12 Nov 2012
Let me be the first to say that this show is incredible and everyone should watch it regardless of age. It is aimed at children, but like any great children's show there is enough meat for any adult to happily gnaw on. I consider it an extraordinary achievement and truly a under-appreciated masterpiece(!) of modern television. It's fantastic; an incredible story, great characters, intelligent dialogue and excellent animation. That said, I am giving this product 3 stars (and that was a struggle) because of the silly choices that irked me throughout my entire experience with the product. If it were based on the show alone it would be invariably 5 out of 5 stars.

Firstly, I have waited on this boxset to become available in the UK for several years and I was overjoyed to see it had finally been given a release, years after the American version was available. That said the time incubating does not seem to be reflected in the product at all. This is not a polished item.

The boxset itself is nothing more than a cover for the three individual seasons, which is nothing to scoff at in itself, but the design is confusing and cumbersum. Instead of pulling the seasons out of the side of the box like any other boxset, you for some reason slide them out from the bottom and as the cover is not snug, unless you have a good grip, they can easily slide out and fall as you take it off your DVD shelf, which is just a needless hassle.

Seasons 1 and 2 have no bonus features whatsoever and Season 3 has 2 commentaries and a silly little video, which can easily be found online. There is nothing to do with the development or making of the show so if you are expecting that then be forewarned it isn't there. To be honest, that doesn't massively bother me personally, but it is worth mentioning since no where else seems to.

A few things that bother me with the actual content now. I don't get why I should have to watch adverts before the menu of every DVD. I pay money to buy things to watch them immediately and without waiting through 10 minutes of advertising every few episodes. If you want to support a show you actually love by spending your money on it, you would hope the publishers would appreciate that respect and give the customer as little reason to pirate it as possible.

Also for some reason in Season 1 there can often be as little as 4 episodes per disc, which is absolutely ridiculous. DVD's can unquestionably hold a lot more content, I have several boxsets with 45-minute episodes that have 4 episodes per DVD, so why I have to change a disc every 100 minutes is beyond me. This does seem to be rectified somewhat in the latter seasons, but it shows an inconsistency that threads throughout the whole product, which continues into the viewing experience.

For another unknown reason, in the middle of Season 2 the episodes begin with a largely unnecessary recap of what has gone on previously. If you are someone that binges on shows and can happily watch several episodes a day, it becomes quickly annoying.

So those are some of the issues, of course it's just a TV show so it's not like the end of the world, you still get an amazing show that the whole family will love and that alone is worth your 30. My main issues are just with the sloppy presentation, lack of bonus content and inconsistent design choices that irritate throughout the boxset. There has been plenty time for Nickelodeon to create a wonderful boxset for this wonderful show, so to wait several years and be given a slap-dash, hastily designed and shoddily constructed product is kind of disappointing. It is hard to advise on whether you should wait to buy this or not. It's hard to say if a smarter version will be released, but if you haven't seen this show before I'd thoroughly recommend you check it out cause it's awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Show, 17 Jun 2013
I don't know why people are complaining about the box the DVDs come in. I bought them to watch the show. I couldn't care less about the design.

The show on the other hand is absolutely brilliant. I love it to bits and will be happy to watch it on repeated viewings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect series!, 23 Sep 2013
Very nice DVD box with 4 discs in each case, there are 3 of them since there are 3 parts of the series. Comes with the usual paper box that you can slip the cases into so you don't lose them.

I have watched the whole series and absolutely love it. ( I watch A LOT of anime. ) Recommend the series to any action/fantasy anime lover. ( Both men and women. Young and old! ) Possible one of the best series I've ever watched. There are many strong and cool characters. The English voice cast was really great as well, something you don't see very often in these type of series. Since the series originated from the US and NOT Japan I guess it was given special treatment, luckily.

Very affordable and collects the whole series. Perfect x-mas or birthday gift for anyone who loves anime or action cartoons!

5.0 out of 5 stars Avatar the original animation series, 11 Mar 2013
Nes (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Finally the whole family could watch the series to the finale, something we missed when broadcast on TV.
Enjoyed it thoroughly

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliantly Awesome., 10 Oct 2013
I saw this neat little collection around the time I had just finished watching the series for the first time. I loved it and had to own them but read about the problems the first collection had when it was first released.

However, this new collection is your standard DVD Box with Discs inside all put into a neat little Box Container. Three Box sets for each Book, One to Three. Water to Fire.

If you loved the Last Airbender and want to own this funny and action packed, well-written show then get this collection. Not only is the DVD set improved, its also cheap. Well, I hope it still is from the time of writing this. Get it, Watch it, Love it. Enjoy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, 22 Feb 2013
E. Stafford - See all my reviews
I love this series and I have been trying to find a reasonably priced set for some time. How I wish I'd read the reviews. The whole set is so poorly designed. The DVD's fall out the bottom of the pack when you lift it, they are really awkward to get out of the cases. Also, the order was a week late and when I contacted the supplier moviemars-usa they were really unhelpful. Apparently they'd posted it and if it didn't arrive, that's not their problem.

When it did arrive, eventually, there was almost no packing around the DVD's to protect them and the box was quite damaged. I also discovered that the disks in the Fire Volume had come away from the rubbish case and become really scratched. I cannot view the end of the Invasion Part 1 episode at all. So disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars How can nickelodeon produce such a beautiful show yet struggle to make an acceptable art box?, 12 Dec 2012
Now this show is just beautiful the characters, the animation, everything. But the packaging is terrible, for some stupid reason the opening is on the bottom which means every time you pull this off of the shelf your going to be picking up each volume off of the floor as the box isn't snug. Due to the box not being snug it constantly gets damaged. You touch the thing and it's dented, creased, ripped. However it is a great price and is cheaper than buying them separately.

1.0 out of 5 stars How to cash in on a loved franchise without giving a s###, 21 Feb 2014
It has taken me a while to properly articulate a response for this product. It is awful.

Before I get into the product though I need to state: I rate 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' as one of the best TV shows ever produced.
It is worthy of 5 out of 5 stars without question.

I rate it amongst all of television, my usual taste in show being dramas like 'The Sopranos', Battlestar Galactia', and 'Breaking Bad'.
The first season starts off as just good but soon starts what is steep rise in quality that only continues to go up as the show progresses, culminating in a suspenseful beautifully told modern epic.

For just about anyone, I cannot recommend enough how much you need to watch this show... Just not on this terrible excuse of a DVD box-set.

Everything about this set is so poorly mismanaged that I am compelled to tackle each aspect of the thing individually.

Starting with the packaging. What we get here isn't a 3 season box-set so much as the 3 individually released seasons boxed together by a flimsy, non-committal cardboard sleeve.
That on its own isn't much of a problem, in fact as an issue on just about any other DVD set it wouldn't even be worth mentioning; combined with everything else wrong here though, it is just one more reason to avoid.

Moving into the case now.
Each season is split into numerous disks (5, 4, and 4 respectively), again as with the last point, this isn't something that would typically be brought up as a problem. Except the producers of the set have gone out of their way to make it a problem by including an entire block of unskippable adverts at the start of each disk. It's appalling spending full price on a product for the luxury of having it at your disposal when you choose only to be forced through crappy adverts.

Onto the disks. There are 4 languages on the Pal2 version that I received. This is good. The only praise I'm willing to give here.
There are no subtitles available though. Again, a sign of lazy design, and an uncaring rush job.

And the last thing. The worst of them all. Is the quality. The picture is blurry and often unfocused. It is downright ugly to watch at points. Honestly, you could get a pirate copy better than this.
And that's exactly what I've already started doing. I've got a version and I'm putting it onto disk. It's advert free and at DVD quality (Unlike the official product that I paid for).

Unless we finally get a Blu-Ray version I can't see Nickelodeon ever bettering this set, and that is a real shame.

Like I said near the start - Watch this show - Just do it anywhere that's not on this p### poor excuse of a box-set.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Great', 18 Nov 2013
First , the series is amazingly great and most probably one of my favorite shows of all time. With that said , the price is highly reasonable (16 for the complete series when I purchased it). The downside is there is no bonus , the box set is basically the three seasons put together.
But if did not already own the series and that you want to discover it or rediscover it , I would definitely recommend it.

ARRAY(0xa742e864)