Top positive review
23 people found this helpful
The best "Oldfield" remaster so far
on 30 October 2013
When 'Crisis' first appeared in the spring of 1983, it presented a hard fought struggle by Mike Oldfield to develop a set of songs that were both appealing to his loyal fans as well as deliver some commercial appeal to the record buying public. And in recognition all over again of these ideals, we have here (in my humble opinion) the best remaster in the "Oldfield" deluxe series. Here is the full track listing:
1. Crisis (20:57) 2013 Remaster
2. Moonlight Shadow (3:38) 2013 Remaster
3. In High Places (3:33) 2013 Remaster
4. Foreign Affair (3:53) 2013 Remaster
5. Taurus 3 (2:25) 2013 Remaster
6. Shadow on the Wall (3:10) 2013 Remaster
7. Moonlight Shadow (3:35) Unplugged Mix. April 2013 Mix by Mike Oldfield (Previously Unreleased)
8. Shadow on the Wall (3:21) Unplugged Mix. May 2013 Mix by Mike Oldfield (Previously Unreleased)
9. Mistake (2:56) A Side Single, 2013 Remaster
10. Crime of Passion (4:10) Extended Version, 2013 Remaster
11. Jungle Gardenia (2:46) A & B Sides of single, 2013 Remaster
12. Moonlight Shadow (5:15) 12" Single / Extended Version, 2013 Remaster
13. Shadow on the Wall (5:09) 12" Single / Extended Version, 2013 Remaster
Crisis Tour, Live at Wembley Arena, 22 July 1983 (Previously Unreleased)
1. Taurus 1 (9:14)
2. Taurus II (23:08)
3. Crisis (23:15)
4. Moonlight Shadow (5:28)
5. Shadow on the Wall (6:26)
6. Family Man (4:14)
All original artwork can be found in this CD remaster, together with an informative book and some extra images of Mike Oldfield and reproduction of some concert tickets and posters.
My only criticism is that the b-side of Moonlight Shadow (7" and 12" UK Singles) which was called 'Rite of Man' has been totally forgotten and left off this remastered edition. Great shame. 'Rite of Man' (2:21) should have surely been included??
Great to find a remastered version of Moonlight Shadow 12" Single (Ext Version) on this CD. This was released in the UK in May 1983 and reached number 3 in the charts. The serial number for the original 12" was VS 58 612 - I still have it! and in its famous cover that was a man looking out to sea (i.e. a blown up image from the cover of the 'Crisis' LP). I played this extended version at a party recently and everyone was singing... we all remember the super video and Maggie Reilly sitting and singing in that hat!
Note to all Vangelis fans, Jon Anderson's vocals sound amazing on 'In High Places.'
Good to hear for the first time, the concert at Wembley Arena. It took place smack in the middle of the success of 'Moonlight Shadow' and boosted the album sales for sure. The crowd are right behind Mike Oldfield and Co.
A word about 'Jungle Gardenia' - what a wonderful recording this was and remains. Again this is a highlight of the 30th anniversary edition of 'Crisis.' 'Jungle Gardenia' was released in 1984 as a single - Sad that it is only just over 2 minutes long - I hope that an extended version can be found in the vaults or someway of remixing this to extend it... the remaster is excellent here.
For many years, a CD version of 'Crisis' was hard to get. We now have a very fine, remastered, quality 30th anniversary release of one of Mike's greatest albums. When the history of Mike Oldfield is written, the biographer will be kind regarding 'Crisis' - it certainly remains a milestone for Mike Oldfield.