4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed the movie and I had read the first woman ...
I saw the reviews for this book on my kindle and wasn't sure. I really enjoyed the movie and I had read the first woman in black and thought it was ok but anyway I bought this book and really enjoyed it. I found it a lovely and easy read and didn't want to put the kindle down. so if you like the first book I recommend this book. I thought it was good value for money I...
Published 3 months ago by sian Pritchard

3.0 out of 5 stars The odd moment of creepiness but a poor sequel.
'The Woman in Black - Angel of Death' isn't written by the same author as the original 'The Woman in Black' though it's set in and around the original ' Eel Marsh House'. In this book the plot has moved forwards in time to 1940 and the time of 'The Blitz' during World War II. A group of school children along with their teachers are evacuated to the house with horrific...
Published 4 months ago by JK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 58 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Scarily bad, 30 Oct. 2014
I realise anyone following up from Susan Hill's classic terror tale would have a hard time but this really does read like someone took the script and novelised it, rather like those books Alan Dean Foster did back in the 80's for various films.

No hint of plot or character development-it is literally 'he said, she said' as it plods towards a predictable 'twist' finish which has no power to shock or thrill whatsoever.

Totally bland and forgettable-is it any wonder the film version seems to be much delayed?

5.0 out of 5 stars sc norfolk, 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Kindle Edition)
I love ghost stories and this was brilliant. It kept me in suspense and I couldn't put it down. I had read Woman in Black and had seen the film which was amazing and scary. I personally think this serial story is better than the first one and now I hope to go and see the film . I would have given it 6 stars if I could.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable, 3 Jun. 2014
Annalie Wood - See all my reviews
I started reading this book with an open mind but a few pages in and I put it down in disgust.

This is poorly written and clumsy.

It is a shame it shares a title with Susan Hill's masterpiece. It shouldn't.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Childish Attempt at a Classic Sequel, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Kindle Edition)
Although the idea is a good one - unlike Susan Hill's book it lacks any feeling of terror or horror and is for me unbelievable as a ghost / horror story. Which for me is a BIG fail. I wonder just how bad or good the film version will be . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars look forward to the next visit, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Kindle Edition)
Angel of Death, the follow up to Susan Hill's hugely popular Woman in Black, is, as I understand it, the book version of the screenplay. Set during the evacuation period of the blitz, the action begins quite quickly as a group of young children and their two teachers are sent to take `refuge' in Eel Marsh House.

The gloomy, foreboding atmosphere kicks in as soon as the doomed group steps off the final train of their journey. For the first half of the book, the spooky goings on are centred on Eve, the younger and softer of the two teachers, and little Edward, who is mourning the recent death of his mother, and so beings a steady stream of haunting scenes that had be reading at breakneck speed.

The climax had me gasping in a few places and gripping onto the book as I desperately turned the pages. Although it only took my one evening to finish this book, I thoroughly enjoyed my brief revisit to the misty, boggy marshes of Eel Marsh House and, as the ending is left clearly open for a third installment, shall look forward to the next visit.

Reviewed by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of BestChapLit.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, 28 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Kindle Edition)
After looking at the reviews I wasn't 100% sure whether to buy it or not. I was glad I did, it had me addicted from the beginning. A well put together book that made me jumpy at night time. Well worth a read.

2.0 out of 5 stars no angels, 22 April 2014
was very disappointed in this book did not seem to create a chilling atmosphere and was inclined not too finish it

1.0 out of 5 stars A cheap and fear free 'return', 2 Sept. 2014
Sequels like this should not be allowed. The Woman in Black is a classic story and to tout this as a sequel to it is a joke to be honest. The plot and writing are very poor indeed. I felt no sense of anticipation or fear when the woman in black appeared and the characters were like one dimensional cardboard cut outs. In fact there was no palpable fear anywhere from either the characters or the reader. If someone was to attempt a sequel to the Woman in Black it needed to be a writer of the calibre of Susan Hill. This ain't it - 'hammy' indeed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on Hill, 27 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Kindle Edition)
After finding that this sequel was not written by the original author of The Woman In Black, Susan Hill, I had much trepidation about this novel. However, my love for the original persuaded me to try the latest addition to The Woman In Black universe.
The novel does not continue Hill's Neo-Victorian style or her ambiguous narrative concerning Jennet Humfrye, and seems to continue from the perspective of the Hammer film of the same name. To avoid spoilers I will simply say that it is badly written but full of fantastic ideas concerning spectrality and the motives behind the hauntings.
If you are looking for answers concerning Hill's Jennet, then you will find none here. If you are looking for a scare and enjoyed Hammer's film adaption of The Woman In Black, then this is definitely your sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sequal, 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Kindle Edition)
Definitely did the first book justice!! As I hoped, it really scared me. Jeanette is vindictive and terrifying yet again.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 58 | Next ›