Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now Learn more

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 25 June 2015
unfortunately the book fell to pieces as I read it for the first time! The story was good but very disappointed with the quality of the binding
on 31 October 2013
I love Susan hill ghost stories , and the woman in black has to be one of the best...so I have been eagerly awaiting this release for months..waiting up at midnight on the 24 th oct for this story to load on my kindle I couldn't wait to get stuck in.. But and it's a big but, what a dissapointment. Having recently read the ghost choir another hammer release this book should have had all those elements and more , but it flopped badly. It started out well , but instead of the insidious creepy feelings the original woman in black caused this read more like an Indiana jones book .. The woman in black herself has been lost in what turns out to be a madcap adventure ride.she is one of the iconic ghosts of the twentieth century, but her 21st century reincarnation is not so much creepy as annoying. . An over the top incarnation. Even the story is a mish mash of ideas.. That by mid book I was flicking through the pages in a desperate search for some magical touch.. It just proves that if you can't get the original author to write the sequel , you should leave it alone. Susan hill must be very disappointed to have one of her most famous characters ruined.
I think two stars is being generous. I will be interested to see what other readers think
on 23 December 2014
Well where do I start.....

I'd like to add before you read this that yes I have read and seen the woman in black. Having been deeply disappointed at how they changed every aspect of the book for the film, I went into reading this one with very low expectations, as I do believe that this one has been written with an intention to be made straight away into a film. However around 30 pages into the book I found myself becoming extremely interested in the story, the characters and evidently the ending.

The book starts off with the main character Eve during an air raid, hiding in the London underground, a young boy named Edward losing his mum to a falling German bomb and all of his friends and teachers being evacuated to Eel Marsh house, where terror and death unknowingly awaits them....

The book as expected has a few child deaths and many creepy and jump appearances from the woman, as well as being written from many different perspectives; Eve, The headmistress Jean, Edward and some of his class mates, however briefly and surprisingly the woman in black, I feel this factor worked really well which added to a brilliant ending.

I really enjoyed this book and would be happy to say that this is a great follow up to the first one! (However I wont be going to see the film, as the first one was highly over exaggerated with the horror factor which in a way covered over the storyline and scared the pants off of me!!)
on 26 December 2014
I read the first book and thought it was good, unusual and had a good base of a story. When I started reading this one I wasn't sure how it could be better but it's just as good not better but just as good. It is very similar story just twisted a bit however still worth a read!
on 10 February 2015
Great read a truly classic ghost story with all the required shocks and jumps to keep you engrossed. Couldn't put it down
on 6 July 2015
read this book the same week the film came out and couldn't put it down, so had to see the film. really scary!!!!!!!!!!!
on 2 December 2014
I debated whether or not to buy this after reading some of the reviews on here & finally decided to take the plunge after seeing the film trailer at the weekend. I'm glad I read it now & I enjoyed it too!
on 14 November 2013
I bought this book because it had a good review in the daily newspaper and I thought it would have to be a very good writer to follow on from Susan's Hill's ghost story. I was very disappointed in this book. It was so far fetched and unbelievable. I think he just got carried away with his attempt to create a terrifying atmosphere. No sorry Mr Waites it was utter rubbish. You cannot continue Susan Hill's Woman in Black with Hammer Horror style writing.
on 12 January 2014
I'm sorry, but this is just a very badly written book. The plot itself is okay, or rather there are some interesting set-pieces: a rotting, black mansion, a desolate causeway, an abandoned village. In theory they should make for an atmospheric read, but in practice these elements are underused and rendered flat and empty. I might have missed something implicit, but this book did not seem to build upon or expand the mythology of the original. Instead it seemed content to parade out the same back-story from some slightly different sources.

On a sentence level, Waites seems to lack the ability to build tension. In place of the slow creeping sense of unease that permeates through the text of the original, he seems to try for cinematic 'jump-scares', which do not transition well into the format. The result resembles a ghost story written by a child: lacking in sophistication or mood and anchored in a realm of dull physical objects. There's a shadow over there. It's a ghost! You are now afraid.

Perhaps I'm unfair. I read it in a night. It's serviceable pulp with Dan Brown-esque micro-chapters every three pages and recognizable character archetypes. It's essentially a novelization of a film which is yet to be released. If I seem disappointed it's because Susan Hill's book was genuinely written and this is no fitting legacy.
on 4 November 2013
Susan Hill' s book The Woman in Black genuinely frightened me. This was a very poor attempt to carry on the story. I found it to be a usual run of the mill ghost story. I was determined to finish it but now wish I hadn't bothered with it in the first place. Just not scary in the slightest.