5.0 out of 5 stars Great ghost story - ignore the haters
This book is based on the screenplay of the forthcoming new 'Woman in Black' film and is from an original idea by Susan Hill. Even though she hasn't written this, she's clearly on board with the project.

Although it's being called a sequel, it's not really as it follows a different group of people. Only the setting of the house and the woman in black feature...
Published 6 months ago by Pink-Lady

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Dire
OK, I had high hopes for this book, after all I've had friends rave for years about the much loved Woman in Black by Susan Hill and as such hearing that there was an authorised sequel released gave me the chance to sit back and get that wonderful chill up the spine during the dark winter night reads that I had planned.

Unfortunately what I got was a title that...
Published 10 months ago by Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog

4.0 out of 5 stars As Sequels Go....A good attempt., 14 Jan 2014
No matter what anyone did nothing could ever come close to the original Woman In Black by Susan Hill and that is where reviews will falter. However I think this was pretty good considering it was not Susan Hill who wrote it, the author seemed true to Susan Hill's style. I enjoyed it and I am hard to please, I thought there was enough scare factor there. People who love the original I feel will always feel something missing but I honestly enjoyed this. Having read books I had been bought for Christmas by authors I love and found them disappointing this was the first book of 2014 I enjoyed and read within 48 hours, It was very easy to read. If you can accept the original is in a class of its own and be prepared to keep an open mind, this is a good read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing sequel novel is disappointing., 12 Jan 2014
G. Cossins "Wallet" (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm sorry, but this is just a very badly written book. The plot itself is okay, or rather there are some interesting set-pieces: a rotting, black mansion, a desolate causeway, an abandoned village. In theory they should make for an atmospheric read, but in practice these elements are underused and rendered flat and empty. I might have missed something implicit, but this book did not seem to build upon or expand the mythology of the original. Instead it seemed content to parade out the same back-story from some slightly different sources.

On a sentence level, Waites seems to lack the ability to build tension. In place of the slow creeping sense of unease that permeates through the text of the original, he seems to try for cinematic 'jump-scares', which do not transition well into the format. The result resembles a ghost story written by a child: lacking in sophistication or mood and anchored in a realm of dull physical objects. There's a shadow over there. It's a ghost! You are now afraid.

Perhaps I'm unfair. I read it in a night. It's serviceable pulp with Dan Brown-esque micro-chapters every three pages and recognizable character archetypes. It's essentially a novelization of a film which is yet to be released. If I seem disappointed it's because Susan Hill's book was genuinely written and this is no fitting legacy.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book, sinister spooky and a little scary, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Woman in Black: Angel of Death (Hammer) (Kindle Edition)
I have read the majority of reviews that you have all written, and felt that I wanted to contribute my own.
Having just finished the woman in black by Susan Hill, I wanted to read this book, the sequel.
Okay it isn't completely based on the original book, buy hey, they are different writers and want to get across to us a different story. I feel that if you read the book, and you haven't made up your mind before you do so, you will enjoy it.

The war is in full earnest, and the streets of London, are dangerous. A group of school children and there two school mistresses set off to the countryside for safety. They are taken to Eel Marsh House as there is no one left in the village and it is all decayed and ruined. The house is still there in its monstrous forbidding hold on the small island.
On arrival at the house, it is in an even worst state having long been abandoned to the weather. The teachers and children try to clean up as best they can, but no way can they remove the damp black rotten patches. The lady in black soon makes an appearance and two children die, Eve Parkins the teacher decides to take them away, and with her handsome beau Harry, they go to his workplace, a make believe RAF base. The bombings happen over Eel Island and one of the children Edward disappears.

It is a haunting book, scary if you let your imagination run with the book, and sad because the lady in black is taking away the children, as her child was removed from her at birth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful Hammer, 3 Jan 2014
Gra (COVENTRY) - See all my reviews
I have been a massive Hammer fan since I was a boy oh and Mr Waites don't be embarrassed to have a large collection of Hammer films on dvd and Blu-ray just enjoy them. The T.V production scared the life out of me in the 80s. The play made me jump out of my skin . The original book terrified me . Yes I am talking about THE WOMAN IN BLACK the brilliant ghost story written by Susan Hill. Now the sequel is the follow up to the Hammer film version of T.W.I.B which had its moments but not very scary . The problem I have with it is the story is a bit obvious I mean where is the worst place you can send a bunch of evacuees?. Yep to a place that could not be more dangerous for children Eel Marsh House .As for Jennet Humfrye she pops up all over the place sometimes less is more .The last chapter I saw coming and had no shock value whatsoever. The trouble is as I read the book I could see the film and with more than one sequel being talked about I am thinking careful Hammer how far can you take this story ? Remember Dracula & Frankenstein even though I love Hammer films the quality of some of the plots where a little poor (Scars of Dracula , Frankenstein created woman).From the plot of the book I could almost see the negative reviews of the film . Just be careful OH, HERE SHE IS AGAIN I do not want that for THE WOMAN IN BLACK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtley chilling, 18 Dec 2013
The book read's very well and has a strong enough link to the original to be a welcome treat for those familiar with the original. Like the original, the malevolence is more suggestive then overt full on horror, with the woman in black appearing sparingly and more often by suggestion. The scene where she appears at the far end of the corridor is a real throw back to the original and is genuinely creepy. The description of the continued decay of the house and the now abandoned and derelict village strengthen the feeling of isolation and reinforce the sence of twisted betrayal emanating from the spirit.

Martyn Waites has delivered a good story which does full justice to the original while also creating a solid stand alone novel. I look forward to seeing if Hammer can do it equal justice in the transition from print to the big screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned ghost scare!, 11 Aug 2014
The woman in Black is my favourite book, play, movie and was excited to see there was a sequel. After reading rather negative reviews I was put off and left disappointed; then I heard the movie was being filmed near me and decided to give the book a go; so glad I did, the book have me chills and left me half wanting to keep reading, and half put it down in fright. I loved it and is a great sequel! I recommend if you're a fan of the original!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super story, 15 May 2014
This was an excellent read I really enjoyed the storyline and could not put it down !! It was an excellent sequel to the original.

4.0 out of 5 stars Woman in Black Angel of death, 18 Mar 2014
I thought the original Susan hill book was excellent, also enjoyed the film although it differed from the book quite considerably. This book will probably work well as a film ( I understand it is being made currently). However, while it is an easy read, it is not a patch on the original so a bit disappointing overall..

3.0 out of 5 stars so so book, 21 Jan 2014
Didn't expect much from this , and I didn't get it so as I expected then. Some good plot action but the woman in black is over used, losing the tension of the first film. This is a sequel to the film not Susan Hill's book. Quite short so a quick read for a WIB fan, otherwise don't feel you have yo rush to get this.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Childish Attempt at a Classic Sequel, 30 Dec 2013
Although the idea is a good one - unlike Susan Hill's book it lacks any feeling of terror or horror and is for me unbelievable as a ghost / horror story. Which for me is a BIG fail. I wonder just how bad or good the film version will be . . .