5.0 out of 5 stars SHERLOCK'S SQUADRON
An absolute fantastic read. Took you to if you where actually there. An incredible insight of what these men went through. Opened my eyes , as it says an untold story, a story of the bomber crews other functions as transporters and glider tugs. Warm, Gritty and some times humorous, couldn't put it down. A must for anyone who likes WWII or aviation books
Published 18 months ago by FLYER

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately, as a retired RAF navigator, I found ...
Published 7 months ago by D. Herriot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately, as a retired RAF navigator, I found ..., 31 July 2014
D. Herriot (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock's Squadron - The Incredible True Story of the Unsung Heroes of World War Two (Kindle Edition)
Unfortunately, as a retired RAF navigator, I found this story a bit unconvincing. The book has been written by the youngest son of 'Sherlock' and, it seems, from having had scant conversation with his father about his wartime experiences. The author admits early on that he has used a fair amount of poetic licence and has included characters in his tale who he has assumed that 'my father must have met'! The tale, whilst interesting and real, lacks authenticity because it is written in a fictional style where the author regularly uses the first person in reported speech and includes conversations that he must have imagined took place rather than having words quoted to him by the actual participants (most of whom, including his father 'Sherlock', were dead at the time of writing). He also has failed to research fully the aspects of aviation that would appeal to a purchaser of the book. For example, he refers to the altitude needle rather than to the altimeter which would have been common language to those about whom he is writing.

This is definitely NOT 'The Incredible True Story of the Unsung Heroes of World War Two' but it is an enjoyable account of the life of the Stirling Bomber crews of 196 Sqn - if you are prepared to accept that it has been written with the admiration of a son of his father's wartime experience and written in a somewhat fictional style and without too much first-hand knowledge or in-depth research having taken place.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHERLOCK'S SQUADRON, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Sherlock's Squadron (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Brave Idea!, 25 Jun. 2014
A valiant attempt at personalising the war experience of the author's father which did not really work for me. I was drawn to purchase it as it describes the Stirling, surely the most risky of the British heavy bombers to operate and very much in the shadow of the Lanc. Found the description of operations moving and serves a purpose of paying respects to very brave young men.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sterling's Squadron, 17 Sept. 2013
G. O. Adamson "Owen" (UK) - See all my reviews
Great reading glad we met Steve at restaurant just outside Benidorm last March. Glad to see your dad made it though ok .

2.0 out of 5 stars Sterling's Squadron, 16 Sept. 2014
I was very disappointed with this book. Instead of concentrating on the experiences of Holmes the author tries to cover it all. Even including conversations of Hitler with his generals. It doesn't work and I nearly didn't finish the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tale with a few silly mistakes., 22 Sept. 2014
Mr. E. Bray (North-west United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a nice readable tale, but there are a few classic blunders.
First off, the character is going home on leave to Lancaster - behind a Thompson A1 steam engine of the East coast line! Lancaster would have been LMS, and they didn't have Thompson's engines!

Second, he has the crew of his Sterling chattering to each other via RADIO - nope, it would have been via intercom.

And the third one I spotted, the various aircraft in the squadron were chattering to each other, whilst en-route to the target in Germany. No way. Strict radio silence was maintained, so the Luftwaffe couldn't direction-find them, and work out how many aircraft were involved in the raid!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor!, 13 Nov. 2014
Athers (worcester, worcestershire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am afraid this is one of the most poorly researched books I have ever read. Another reviewer has pointed out some errors; believe me, that is a kind review - the errors are numerous. I fully laud the desire that the author has to respect the memory of his brave father, but if a book is to be published claiming to be an 'incredible true story' then it should stick (largely) to the truth. I do not like writing negative reviews, however I care more for the memory of those who served in 'heavies' during the war. They deserve for their story to be told well - this book is a long way short of that aspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read I ages, 11 Nov. 2014
I couldn't put this book down , I personally feel like I knew the crew. Sherlock and the rest of the crew were like a family ,and looked out for each other . And the way Sherlock adopted patch made my heart swell with happiness as patch adored him.I'm pleased he had a happy home with Sherlock and his family after the war .This book tears at your heart strings as the crew go through all those dangerous missions and lots of there friends went missing or died after getting shot down .At the end I suppose they were the lucky ones .God bless them !

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing disappointment, 27 Jan. 2015
This book is so irritatingly wrong in so many aspects of the RAF at war and really poor dialogue I couldn't even bother to read to the end. What the heck was Hitler and his generals doing in this 'faction' of a book? I'm afraid the author meant well in trying to create a story to celebrate his relative's wartime heroism but I'm afraid he has instead created a great disservice to the man. I really hate to have to give such a negative review as I can really understand the author's attempt to convey his pride to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Sherlock's Squadron (Paperback)
Don't usually like books based on the war but as my father was in the RAF thought I would give it a go. I loved the way the facts were entwined into a story that made it absolutely fascinating to read. I found myself sitting in the car waiting for people earlier than was needed so that I could continue to read on ....... following the life of John Holmes from boy to man during extremely difficult times, losing friends and comrades, reminded me why we should never forget what others did for our freedom.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›