1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Check CD 2 when your copy arrives, 21 Sept. 2013
Philoctetes (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wolfgang Sawallisch in Prague (Audio CD)
Anyone who heard Sawallisch's recording of Dvorak's Requiem will be fully apprised of his affinity with Czech music and it is instructive to learn of his productive relationship with the Czech Phil, celebrated in this 5 CD set.

I was thoroughly enjoying my exploration of the box when I ran into difficulties getting the Beethoven CD to play. At first I thought it was my new and rather nifty HiFi but a lesser model also got sick when I tried to weather the storm, so I am seeking to return the box.

Nonetheless, if you buy you will encounter superb sound and thoroughly well prepared and committed performances. I had time to delight in Mozart's Jupiter and an emotional account of Martinu's Fourth; intense choral singing in the Glagolitic Mass and blissful nature painting in the Dvorak overture. The Eben piece made me queasy - lost souls in a haunted swimming pool was the image that came to mind.

As I say, Sawallisch proved himself a worthy conductor of the Czech repetoire but the Germanic stuff here is really special and great to hear the silvery Czech sound being wrapped around it. The booklet contains notes on the relationship and a short interview. No vocal texts.

Wolfgang Sawallisch in Prague
Wolfgang Sawallisch in Prague by Wolfgang Sawallisch (Audio CD - 2013)