on 9 February 2014
This is the first of three books by this author that I have read this week! It is in simple, every day, conversational french. As new words are introduced they are indicated and a translation is provided in the next page or so. It makes brushing up french a joy. There is no slogging through grammar and the plot introduces all the situations you are likely to find yourself in on a day to day basis. It also refreshes idiomatic french rather than a verbatim translation of english. There is also a complete vocab section at the back.
on 1 September 2014
This is a fantastic book for anyone learning french. I am intermediate level but felt a real accomplishment from being able to read a story in french. Easier to learn new vocabulary when used in context and helpful with grammar too. Highly recommended.
This is meant to include Part 2, which is available separately, but the book is so short that I'm not sure if it does or not. The number of pages is a bit misleading, as given the amount of translation, I'd say maybe only half is the story itself.

It's a simple story, fairly easy to read, with a glossary under each paragraph on the kindle version and also a dictionary at the end. The only aspect I wasn't keen on was the frequent deliberate French errors made by the less fluent character. I found that made me focus more on what was wrong rather than what was right, but I can see why the author did this.

I'm in two minds about this series, as I like the idea a lot, but I'm not convinced as to value for money, even on kindle. If it had been twice the length, I'd probably have been happier. I'm not sure about buying more, but maybe if they're longer than this one.

Having said that, it's definitely a pleasant, easily understandable way to read a short French story written in a style which provides many useful expressions and ways of speaking.

UPDATE - I've since discovered, only from the description here, that there's a downloadable audio of this book available, so I now give it an extra star for that. The problem there is the book itself doesn't mention the audio, and I only found it online by guessing the path after having bought French Stories for Beginners - Voyage à Marseille: With Audio and French-English Glossaries (Easy French Reader Series for Beginners t. 3) (French Edition) which tells you where the audio for that book is.
on 13 November 2013
Easy to understand with the help of the glossary. Gives you the satisfaction that you are reading in French&don't need an extra dictionary. Great book.
on 6 November 2013
I like the way the book is set out - no need to keep looking up unknown vocabulary. A good story too.
on 25 March 2015
I bought this for language practice but found I was actually interested in the story - enough to buy volume two. It helped to have a dictionary because although usually the selection of words translated was enough to get by sometimes there was one that escaped me. I found an ap on the phone worked fine.
on 14 March 2014
Helping me to become confident reader of the French language. Helpful translation of key words so that student reader is able to piece the storyline together without boring referral to dictionary.
on 15 November 2014
I am an absolute beginner and am managing to read and understand the book. I find that I am also remembering different words so am very happy with my choice of learners reading. Thank you.
on 12 January 2014
simple story well told in straightforward french. the glossary included all the words I struggled with. too short though! left wanting more.
on 29 June 2014
Was able to develop more vocab. Hope to gain more with next book, and also some grammar. Good French reader.