on 10 October 2013
This latest release by Tyla is so good. All songs are top class in terms of lyrics and tunes. I can't really pick what I think is the best song, there are seriously that many that could fall into that field. My favorites would have to be'it ain't over yet', 'Yeah (I love you baby)' and 'Judas christ'. But ALL songs on this CD are first class. In my opinion this could be Tyla's best work for a long time. I've not come across much that Tyla has done that I've not enjoyed, but this has touches of genius about it.
The acoustic version is just as good.
on 29 December 2013
I have to admit to being a little reluctant in investing in Tyla's solo offerings, because of the quality of The Dog's Da'mour's back catalogue (I didn't want to besmirch the bands good name), but upon hearing that the 2012 Dogs reunion tour had inspired & rejuvenated Tyla, I decided to take a chance.
So glad that I did, for "Devils Supper" is truly a remarkable record. Consisting of just Vocals & acoustic guitar, it is a real skill to pull off a strong album, which Tyla achieves with flying colours.
What make the record so good are strong vocals, great guitar playing, & most importantly a diverse group of tracks that all sound different from each other, & at 35 minutes the album does not overstay it's welcome.
There is a lifetime of experiences, which lends an authentic-world weariness (gone are is wide-eyed enthusiasm of "Graveyard of empty bottles") to the lyrics that mostly deal with love & love lost.
Along with its electric cousin, this for me is the musical highlight of 2013, from a exceptional talent.
on 31 December 2013
Electric part of Tyla's "Devil's Supper" project (although there is quite a lot of acoustic guitar on the record), & real rejuvenation in his career.
There is a real contemporary feel to this album (not just a second rate Dogs knock off), with many of the tracks having a more complex arrangement to them, with a nice blues undertone running throughout a lot of the record, a the occasional horn section throw in.
Lyrically, a more reflective & reminiscing style to many of the songs, I guess Tyla is taking stock of his life up to now.
If I were to offer one criticism, it would be at 15 tracks, the album is perhaps a couple a songs too long (I think that's what you get for not having B-sides for singles!).
So all in all a pretty flawless recording & must have for any Dogs/Tyla fan (funds permitting).
Great artwork as well.