4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to astronomy
Very good book on astronomy. I wanted a review of astronomy without getting into the heavy tech stuff. This book did just that - very enjoyable read.
Published on 8 Sep 2010 by Allan

2.0 out of 5 stars Above me!
I'm sure this is a great book for those with more interest or knowledge than me! Being a complete novice I found I too advanced and returned it for a full refund.
Published 5 months ago by G. Cook

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to astronomy, 8 Sep 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 15 April 2011
Not being the brightest spark, this book requires some mental effort but it's definitely worth it. If you're new to astronomy and really want to understand how it all works then this is a must. There are other books that will give far simpler explanations but leave you with a lot of unanswered questions, not this one. I also love the tests at the end of each chapter which are a real boost when you realise how much you've taken in and also let you know which bits to read again! I bought this initially on Kindle but it's just too difficult to navigate to the maps at the back so would recommend the physical book. As my husband said 'I was after the world and got the universe'! Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good reading, 19 Oct 2010
Mr. R. W. Morris "bobka" (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is very well written and covers a lot of topics of interest for amateur astronomers of all kinds. Makes an excellent reference book

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful primer for any astronomer, 20 Dec 2010
I was pleasantly surprised by how the author has managed to present a condiderable amount of knowledge without the confusing depth provided by some text-books. This is not to criticise the latter but simlpy to say I think Astronomy - a self teaching guide is a straight forward and useful place to start.

4.0 out of 5 stars I think this book is really well written, 23 Aug 2012
This is a really well written book; especially if you are reasonably new to astronomy and wanting to go down the teach yourself route.

The chapters are well sequenced and there is a number of opportunities to review your learning with some questions at the end of most of the sections.

2.0 out of 5 stars Above me!, 27 Mar 2014
G. Cook (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars fully meet requirements, 28 Oct 2013
this book was well written and fully met my requirements. good good good good good good good good dont ask for more words

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book, 8 Sep 2013
easy to read and understand. has test questions to ensure that you have understood each section. this book is required for my astronomy evening class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version - Astronomy: A self-Teaching Guide, 1 Jun 2013
Very well reproduced to be read electronically, although a paper version is always going to be better!

The book itself is well laid out and goes through the subject in a methodical manner with:
Aims/goals at the beginning of the chapter
The subject material
Worked examples for mathematical formulas [if applicable]
Self test questions on the chapter [with answers]

This has/will help me with Astronomy exams coming up next year.

Well recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars A self-teching guide to Astronomy, 26 Dec 2012
A very good book, full of questions & answers but i would be nice if it was written & published by some one living in the UK. but still full of information for any nationality.