on 31 July 2013
My Dell XPS was in serious need of some help. It ran very hot and I had to re-install the OS to get it working a little while ago. I decided to but this 'mechanic' to ensure I could fix the XPS and keep it running. Installed, no problem and did a deep scan which highlighted 8 major issues, i think 2 were 'critical' and t button that said 'click to fix all' Obviously i pressed it thinking this was great, however all hell broke loose.
My system restarted and asked me to remove the disk from the drive and restart, it then said it couldn't detect the HD at all....I restarted and booted from the Windows 7 disk but while it did recognize the HD again it refused to boot and 'beeped' like crazy.

I am no techie, which is why I bought this software...wish I didn't now. I might simply be unlucky or it might be that this product isn't quite all that it claims to be?

A previously working if not slow and noisy lap-top is now dead and I am £20 lighter...I hope you have better luck than me.
on 5 May 2014
I got a copy of this from Serif for £9.99 delivered. It is going back - if it had not been for the 30 day guarantee I would have happily taken a pair of scissors and cut it to pieces. I have wasted hours trying to get it working on two machines - it crashed one of them . Then when it was up and running - joke - and my free copy of Advanced systems care 7.2 found both machine had the same problems they had to start with. Personally I would say DO NOT BUY IT. IF YOU REALLY WANT TO WASTE YOUR TIME DO NOT BUY IT - DOWNLOAD THE FREE - I SAID FREE - COPY FROM THE INTERNET AND TRY THAT. At least you will not have parted with you cash and have nothing to loose except a couple of hours of wasted time.
on 5 August 2014
I have been using System Mechanic for about 4 or 5 years now, getting free upgrades to the new releases each year by keeping my licence in date; it is cheaper to do it that way, especially since Iolo often do discounted licence renewals/time extensions.

I currently use this with Windows 8.1 Pro on my labtop and it really does work wonders on my computer. I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 and then ran SM before installing anything else and I was surprised to find it picked up a huge amount of "faults" from registry proplems to so-called "critical issues". I clicked "Fix All" and SM burst into action. I do believe that it keeps my computer quick and running smoothly over the years that I have used it. It's so simple to use and you can either let SM fix all proplems in a oner, or you can go through them individually yourself and tell SM what you want it to do.

I tried the Professional/Premium version once (which adds Firewall and AV) but didn't like it that much and reverted back to using Norton Internet Security and SM.
on 7 June 2014
I have used it for several years now and while people who are PC savy will say you can do a lot of what it does without this product, but you do need to know your way around some hard to find settings.
This makes important tasks easy to perform and to reverse them should there be a problem.
on 10 May 2014
an excellent product, rapidly sent and easily installed. Does what it says on the tin, keeps our computers ticking along nicely. and the unrestricted domestic installations is just great.
on 28 May 2014
Brilliant, works! The reall jem is that you can you it on all your PC's in the house. Recommend to me by an IT professional
on 13 January 2014
Got it installed on two desktops as well keeps them running nicely without problems.
I`ve been using System Mechanic since I saw it in a magazine reviewed in 1998.
Buy a copy every year without fail. I would recommend this product without hesitation.
on 22 January 2015
Because I read some scary reviews I was skeptical about System Mechanic. I decided to give it a try because I used a previous version in the past and it worked fine. However since the reviews of the new version weren't good I performed a little test.

I tested this software by using System Mechanic for repairing and cleaning my computer. After the fixes where made I uninstalled the program and installed a different computer repair software. The new software found no major problems.

In conclusion:The software does a good job on repairing the most common computer problems like defragmenting registry, optimizing the system drive, defragmenting memory, backing up registry, removing Internet cache files and the Windows temp files and so on.
on 10 March 2015
Bought a copy then found out that you MUST be connected to internet at ALL times, i.e. to install and to run software.
It advertised that it fixes internet connections, - but if you cannot install it how can it fix a machine that is not connected to the internet?
It was also advertised that it could be installed on all your machines (but it forgot to highlight that they needed to be connected to the internet).
Further to that it crashed. Complete waste of money and time.
Give it a wide birth.
on 15 April 2014
I think this programme is more or less a waste of money. I does nothing a legion of freebies does. But it does spend ages doing unnecessary defrags.