on 8 October 2014
A valuable reminder of the debt we owe to Bomber Command. Whatever the rights or wrongs of the WW2 Bombing Campaign there is no doubt of the courage with which the crews went into terrible danger and hardship night after night. It is quite possible, I would say probable, that the Nazis would have won the war without their efforts.

I have no family connections with the RAF but that does not diminish my huge admiration for those guys and my sadness that, for political reasons, it took so long for their contribution to be acknowledged.
on 29 December 2015
A good read and shows such bravery form these men
on 11 December 2013
As a contributor to the book - I am truly delighted with the completed fascinating individual stories of a collection of fascinating characters who flew with RAF Bomber Command. Ron
review image
on 25 June 2014
Always of great interest that so many former aircrews relate their experiences.
It cover not only Bomber Command but other areas such as Coastal and also other theatres of war.
on 19 February 2013
A real insight to the sometimes short lives of our airmen. Training, heavy conversion, gelling with other members of the crew, and off course the opps. A good read.
on 7 June 2014
I found this book easy to read, containing several air men's accounts it kept the mind focused, I recommend you read it.
on 18 January 2015
I didn't actually get to the end of this book as I found it irritating to read. The dialogue was amateurish in the extreme, especially the poor old flight engineer who would never ever be given that title in dialogue. His rank, yes, but Flight Engineer? Never! Especially from paratroopers on board his Stirling bomber during the D-Day flights. Somehow the book just didn't ring true and to try and fill in the first-hand account gaps with fiction was an error too far. I can see what the author was attempting to achieve but it just didn't come off. I'm afraid his own pride has done a great disservice to his undoubtedly brave real-life relative.
on 11 July 2014
An excellent book telling the remarkable stories of men who 'did their bit' for their country. I particularly like personal accounts and to see their stories brought up to date with recent photos added to the book. Definitely recommended
on 9 February 2014
I was expecting stories of the standard featured in Martin Middlebrook books. Unfortunately most of the stories in the book were not up to that standard and not very exciting to read.
on 10 June 2015
A good varied account of different airman's experiences in Bomber Command during the war in Europe.