5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Book
I find that this author never ceases to amaze and certainly knows his subject. As he states in his intro he's set out to write a readable true account of this fine old aircraft and he's certainly kept to his word. In my opinion, he's written one of the best books on this aircraft and though showing her early faults he has only made you admire her more...
Published on 1 Feb 2006 by steamdreamer

1.0 out of 5 stars Hugely disappointing and shallow in detail
After reading the praise for this book on the Internet and indeed here on Amazon I purchased a copy as a supplement to my well-thumbed edition of the Delve / Green / Clemons masterwork ( ``English Electric Canberra'' ISBN 0904597733 ).

Published on 20 Jan 2009 by AS BUNTING

1.0 out of 5 stars Hugely disappointing and shallow in detail, 20 Jan 2009
AS BUNTING (UK) - See all my reviews

To say that I was disappointed with Halpenny's volume is an understatement; it is the only book that I have seen fit to return to Amazon.

For example, whereas the ``Gang of Three'' dedicate 14 pages to the evolution of the design, Halpenny offers two paragraphs. This brevity continues throughout the volume, except where the author finds opportunity to recycle material from previous works ( such as the tangential prior histories of the RAF Canberra squadrons or the name of a particular wartime Halifax ). At no point does Halpenny plunge to any level of adequate detail, not even when discussing the differences between variants.

The prose is informal and meandering whilst the layout is haphazard, being dominated by ill-fitting photographs. The book's one saving grace is the chapter discussing Wallis' contributions to Canberra safety and operations, but this would barely fill a magazine article. The photographs of the loading trolleys and 5000 lb bombs are commendable, I concede.

I would recommend that prospective buyers save their money and source a second-hand copy of the ``Gang of Three'' book. It offers far, far more detail and information than this volume whilst being more logically organised and readable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Book, 1 Feb 2006
The bit that interested me the most was that of Wing Commander Wallis. This is something that other books on the Canberra have missed and quite frankly I think a very bad omission, for it's clear without W/Cdr Wallis, there wouldnt have been a Canberra now flying. Credit due to Bruce Halpenny for highlighting this out and giving proper credit to a truly great man.
The photographs are fantastic and many I've never seen before.
If you're interested in the Canberra then you have to buy this book. If you want to have just a good read then buy this book.
It now takes pride in my collection

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed!, 31 Oct 2013
Robert Goldfield (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Electric Canberra: The History and Development of a Classic Jet (Pen and Sword Large Format Aviation Books) (Kindle Edition)
I served on 13 Squadron as an engineer when they were flying the PR9, so I was interested in the general content. The dissapointment for me was not enough in therms of aircrew recollections on the various marks. This is often an issue with these types of books and if it is eciting recollections of how the aircraft flew and was operated, then you will be dissapointed. You can get a better feel from other books, such as Paul McDonalds autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Class, 13 May 2006
Got this as a Birthday present due to my working on this aircraft some, er years ago (this aircraft has stood the time better than I have). This is one of the best books I've read on the Canberra and certainly sheds light on areas that other books have missed.

If you are interested in the Canberra, which in my mind is an important part of our aviation history, then you have to have this book. To me, no other book "cuts it" as my grandson so put it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
Excellent

3.0 out of 5 stars Canberra-History and development., 10 May 2014
Most of this book catalogued aircraft numbers, squadrons, airfields, etc......which I didn't find interesting at all. The photographs were interesting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not finish, 2 Jan 2014
Paul Brundrett (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is OK but I did not finish it.
If you like lots of details about squadrons, dates and stations this will great for you.
However if you are just interested in the Canberra its self you might find it heavy going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canberra story, 12 Dec 2013
Very enjoyable book and full of information I was not expecting to read about. Absorbing and good to pick up and put down over a period of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Reading, 6 Dec 2013
It is a very good read I found it easy to follow.
Got this due to my interest in aircraft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice Book, 28 Mar 2006
Some really serious and genuine research and work has gone into this book. i love the color profiles and esp. the one of the NASA bird. cool.
i also love the easy reading style, just because i like aircraft doesn't mean i want to be bored with reams of data. this author seems to realise this and tho with plenty of data (and some thats new i think), has written a a very good book, maybe, dare i say it, one of the best on this really interesting bird.