3.0 out of 5 stars It's the sound of today played so loud, you're in pain, 27 Jan 2014
Tim "Tim" (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Outer Space (Audio CD)
Another change of direction for the Mael brothers, this time to a kind of Kraftwerk-esque minimal synthpop. The album kicks off with their biggest US hit - Cool Places, it's success certainly helped by the inclusion of guest vocals by Jane Wiedlin (her group The Go-Go's were huge stars in the USA at this time). The song itself is breezy and slight, and not demonstrative of how utterly wonderful Sparks can be at their best. The album's other single - All You Ever Think About Is Sex is better and funnier, with classic Ron Mael lines such as "Think about the places; We've had our little fun; In the church at Christmas; Busted by that nun". With other lyrical highlights such as "And you're the only girl I ever met who hates Hey Jude; Maybe that's the reason that I'm so in love with you" (Rockin' Girls) and "I went to high school; And majored in looking real bad; I got a real ugly mom; And a real ugly dad" (I Wish I Looked A Little Better), this is definitely one of Sparks' funniest albums.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than people would have you believe, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: In Outer Space (Audio CD)
Spark 1980's output was radically different to their 1970's Island years and is much maligned in some areas. Although this album doesn't reach the dizzy heights of Kimono My House or later masterpieces such as Lil' Beethoven, it's still a very enjoyable album with some great songs. (If you can get past the quintessentially 1980's production!)

In Outer Space
In Outer Space by Sparks (Audio CD - 2013)