5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a total newbie

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of its kind
Published on 11 Feb 2003 by SS ROBINSON

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for a total newbie, 9 April 2002
By A Customer
I disagree with will525252@hotmail.com in his comments about requiring other knowledge of JavaScript. I knew nothing about JavaScript prior to picking up the book and within 2 months had become fairly efficient. The whole idea is to work through the book and when you see the (p27 "but that part of the code has been omitted to save space") you should, in theory, have already learned that part earlier in the book (I had). An excellent book for the newbie. Obviously there is much more to learn after but it gives a good starting reference. And it's written in the non-technical language so even I understood it :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand and concise overview of JavaScript, 15 Feb 2001
By A Customer
After reading many books about JavaScript I still found myself confused about some of the concepts of the scripting language. This book however, is very easy to read and understand, and covers a broad range of topics. It is an excellent book for a beginner, at a very reasonable price. However if you want to cover more than just the fundamentals you may need a more advanced book. Definitely the right book to start off with though.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best JavaScript book that I have seen, 6 Aug 2001
By A Customer
I had tried (unsuccessfully) to learn JavaScript a number of times before using some thick expensive books but it was only when I worked through this book that it began to make sense. I found the examples in the book were clear and easy to understand so I could try them myself. I now consider myself to be a fairly proficient JavaScripter thanks to this book and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn JavaScript.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of its kind, 11 Feb 2003
SS ROBINSON (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The title of the book a bit misleading, there are no steps to follow, easy or otherwise. The book begins with basic explanations, and then departs into unworked examples throughout. Nothing builds, examples serve to confuse, and parts of code that should be full working examples simply do not work. I tried the book's 'browser id', 'cross browser layers', and another few allegedly working examples to no avail. From this book I learned very little. I resorted to copying code from the web for my own pages. It has put me off the 'easysteps' series, I now look to the 'visual quickstart guide' series, and have had more success. Simon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Annoyingly un-easy. Avoid at all costs, 16 Jan 2010
It sells itself as JavaScript in easy steps, but unfortunatly this is one of the worst books on the subject I've had the misfortune to buy. The method is confusing, incomplete, and, contrary to its tag line, not easy to follow. None of the scripts I've tried have worked, and none of the chapters lesson give what should be a fairly bog standard offering: the resulting script. For example,the chapter on enlarging thumbnails has 7 steps: each one goes back the former, but gives no clear description of syntax, or format. All it would have taken for this book to have been useful was a summary at the end of each lesson showing the built script in full. Utterly useless to a novice JavaScript writer, and completely miss-sold. How this ever got by a competent editor is beyond me. Avoid at all costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal summary for beginners, 27 Jun 2001
By A Customer
I've bought umpteen Javascript books (of the 1000+ page variety) and this knocks the pants off them. It lacks waffle and at under a tenner it's spot on.

5.0 out of 5 stars JavaScript in Easy Steps, 27 Nov 2012
J. M. Maden "Fell walker" (Lake District) - See all my reviews
This book was also recommended by the university and has been helpful in achieving my goal in completing my module successfully. Easy to follow and plenty of examples with the source code available from the website.

3.0 out of 5 stars JavaScript in easy steps for JavaScript programmers, 23 Mar 2002
By A Customer
When I first got this book, I was very confused as I knew nothing of any programming language, and there was a lot of implicit knowledge in the book which was hard to pick up on. On re-reading the book after learning Java for 6 months, it is actually very helpful. I think a more apt title for this book would be "JavaScript in easy steps for JavaScript programmers" since it is very easy to use and a good book if you know some programming principles, but is nigh on impossible to follow if you don't!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the (cover), 12 Nov 2009
M. Hobson (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
I now need to use JavaScript in my job, so I wanted something which would give me a basic understanding before I delved deeper. This book fits the bill admirably - I had heard of JavaScript, but I had no real idea what it did or how it did it. Now I understand what a powerful tool it can be, but with great power comes great responsibility...sorry, been watching too many Spiderman DVDs! Seriously, if you, like me, are a total newcomer to JavaScript, this is an ideal place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 10 Mar 2002
By A Customer
Definitely a must-have for the beginner javascript programmmer, 'Javascript in Easy Steps' is one of the best books out there. Even if you just want to copy the quick, practical scripts (pop-up windows, layers and mouse tracking etc), then it's still worth the [...] asking price. Although this book is very clear and concise, it would probably be best used as a step-up from a simpler book that covered the very basics.

JavaScript In Easy Steps