5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Lightweight Everyday Camera
I won't write an in-depth technical review as DP Review etc do that so much better, but I've owned this camera for a few weeks and it's an absolutely dream.

Published 3 months ago by JennyB

1.0 out of 5 stars Charger problem
I found the charger light is always green, even the first time I used. It could't be charged. I bought a new battery, but it can't also be charged.
Published 1 month ago by Ying Chen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Lightweight Everyday Camera, 24 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm X-M1 Camera - Silver (16.3MP, 16-50mm Lens Kit) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)

I'm downsizing from a Canon 7D, and I wanted a decent camera in the 300-500 range which didn't need its own backpack to take about, just a small everyday point-and-shoot with more options when I needed them, and if you're reading this while trying to weigh up your options I can sympathise, I spend weeks before I decided on the X-M1 but having had a chance to play with it now I'm very happy with my choice. :)

I'd narrowed down my list to these 7:

Canon G15
Olympus PEN E-PM2
Fujifilm X-M1
Fujifilm X20
Olympus PEN E-PL5
Canon G16
Sony RX100 II

I think you need to decide what's the most important feature for you in your new camera, as trying to compare them on all features is like comparing apples with oranges as they perform so differently. I decided image quality was my highest priority, over bells and whistles (in-camera HDR, sweep panorama etc, which the X-M1 doesn't have).

With its APS-C sized sensor, this camera delivers image quality almost comparable to my 7D, and that's with the kit lens. I've taken it to a photo studio and the images were as good as with the 7D, which is amazing considering the price difference.

I almost went for the Sony RX100 II, but it was the ISO performance on DP Review that sold me on the X-M1. I've got a toddler so lots of my photos will be taken indoors in low light and the quality of the images on the X-M1 at ISO 3200 is unbelievable. I would have liked a faster lens, but I think the ability to use higher ISOs with minimal drop in image quality compensates for it.

You also have the ability to increase dynamic range to try to capture some detail in blown-out white skies etc, not something many of the other cameras in the same price range had, and the in-camera noise reduction can be raised and gives very good results too.

The other thing that sold me on this camera was the hotshoe, a few of the others I compared it to didn't have one and it's nice to have it so I can use the wireless studio light trigger and attach an external flash if I ever want to.

As other reviewers have said the AF can be a little slow, but that's really my only complaint, and I'm comparing the speed with the 7D which is about twice the price without a lens. I think Face Detection is on by default so once you get into the settings and turn this off it performs much faster. It doesn't have a viewfinder, but it's not something that was a deal breaker for me.

I would definitely recommend the X-M1, it would be a great point and shoot if you just kept it on Auto mode, but in manual mode you have enough options to make it ideal for DSLR users looking for a second camera, plus the image quality is phenomenal, which at the end of the day is what counts! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best value Fuji, 26 Jan 2014
the lambanana "the lambanana" (liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Excellence
==========
The Fuji X-M1 is an excellent camera. I'll repeat that, it is the best Fuji camera that I have ever owned.

It might help to explain what I was after. I wanted something light, with an interchangeable lens and hoped that is was reasonably priced. I knew if I wanted an interchangeable lens that I couldn't expect something exceptionally compact, but wanted something that wasn't "too cumbersome."

APS-C Sensor
============
This is one of the cheapest Fuji interchangeable lens cameras. I researched and researched and then researched some more. There was tons of hype about the Fuji APS-C X sensor. Did it disappoint? No. It's superb. Crisp, detailed photographs. Just perfect.

Fuji have a range of CSCs (Compact System Cameras). All seem to aim at the keen amateur to the professional. I did look at the Fujifilm X-Pro1 Digital Camera with XF18mm Lens (16MP, APS-C X-Trans CMOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD , the Fujifilm X-E1 Digital Camera with XF18-55mm Lens Kit - Black (16MP with APS-C X-Trans CMOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD , and this Fujifilm X-M1 Camera - Black (16.3MP, 16-50mm Lens Kit) 3 inch LCD.

This was smaller and lighter. Looks retro with a very modern interior.

LOOKS
=====
Along with it's beautiful retro styling is the build quality. The build quality is more than good. It feels solid and quite durable. (Although I didn't drop it, it feels like it may survive a drop or two.)

The overall size is a lot smaller than the pictures imply. If you have a chance to see one in a shop you will see what I mean. It can be held without arm ache with one hand. Mine came with the 16=50mm lens kit. The body is quite a bit smaller than the lens.

PICTURE QUALITY
===============
I use the JPEGS format and found the picture quality quite breathtaking. Low light, macro, distance, busy, not so busy- all came out beautifully. I don't use the RAW format so I can't comment on that quality.

FAST
====
Very, very responsive and quick. Turn on, point, and click and you should be taking quality pictures almost instantly. It was easy to focus, and has the standard Fuji menu (which I like)so that if you need to shoot with an effect it's reasonable quick to get to.

WIFI
====
I was able to synchronise the camera with my phone and post instantly onto facebook. It was remarkable easy to setup and the iphone app (free) was easy to use.

ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT?
=======================
Well. It's not something that put me off purchasing the camera but given that you can synchronise with your phone I would have liked to have controlled the camera this way. (As of January 2014 this isn't a feature.)

Pros:
=====
+ EXCELLENT JPEGs
+ Easy to use menu
+ Fast focus
+ Small size

Cons:
=====
- WiFi app doesn't allow control of the camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable quality at an unbelievable price., 27 Dec 2013
Pat (Mid Wales) - See all my reviews
I couldn't believe the Amazon price last week which for me, makes this wonderful camera the bargain of the year. I have an X100 and love Fuji colours so with the rebate and the Amazon promotional voucher it was a no brainier to order the XM1. It is a cracker, and whilst it doesn't have the build quality and heft of the X100, it is a beautifully made camera and looks superb. The lack of a viewfinder could be a problem for some but the LCD screen is razor sharp and as it tilts up and down, it makes the camera very easy to use.

The image quality using the kit lens is stunning, focusing is fast and accurate and the WiFi has linked to my IMac and Ipad without problem. The ability to use geotagging is a real bonus. Metering is accurate and the low light performance is excellent. The XM1 and the 16-50mm kit lens give a very wide angle for landscapes and a useful zoom. It is sharp at all focal lengths.

I read the reviews, noted the concerns of some regarding the plastic body construction and the lack of a viewfinder and went ahead and bought a truly exceptional camera at a 'be daft not too' price. Simply superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional quality in a tiny body, 28 Dec 2013
Mr. Christopher Harrison "Harry" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of the Fuji X-Pro1 and wanted a smaller backup camera for weddings etc that would also double up as my 'take everywhere' body. The X-M1 ticks all the boxes and then some. Image quality is exactly the same as the high end X-Pro1, which is hard to comprehend in such a small body (which is magnesium alloy, no less), Fuji should be credited for not intentionally holding back as Canon and Nikon do, you even get the benefit of the exact same battery as the other Fuji X bodies, making it a brilliant second body.

The lack of a viewfinder and full manual dials is a personal decision that prospective buyers will need to consider, but in terms of the dials it's still very quick and easy to access most settings, I shoot mostly in Aperture Priority, with XF lenses it's essentially no different to using an X-Pro1 as you still use the Aperture controls on the lenses, and it has a nice big Exposure Compensation dial on the top of the body. For me the tilt screen makes up for the lack of a viewfinder, for low or high shots it will undoubtably be favoured over my X-Pro1 when I have both bodies with me.

At the current price (essentially 269 with the rebates) it's impossible to do anything but highly recommend the X-M1. If it's your only camera you're getting an unbelievably high quality camera with near full-frame image quality that has all the automatic settings you could need, as well as a full suite of manual controls. If it's a backup to another Fuji X body and you can live without the viewfinder and some of the manual dials, you're getting a camera with the same sensor, same battery, same menus etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most Logical choice, 7 Feb 2014
Prior to purchasing this fantastic camera I had a Canon 5D mark iii and Sony Nex-7. Canon 5d is a fantastic camera however combined with most L Glasses it is very heavy and not easy to carry around and Sony Nex-7 is good but there are major drawbacks to it (Slow AF, Lack of quality Lenses at reasonable price and poor high iso performance). I decided to replace my NEX 7 with a fuji X series due to their great reputation. I have now carried out some tests and found this camera to be astonishing. Following is my opinion about this camera:

AF speed:
The AF speed of any mirorless camera would be slower than common DSLRs due to their design. One of the things that was bothering me with the sony was its AF speed. Fuji XM1 is however significantly snappier and more accurate than the sony. The AF speed in my opinion is also faster than X-E1 and X-pro1 (Maybe due to faster processor).

Operational speed:

The camera is very snappy and lag free compared to X-E1 and X-pro 1 and as i mentioned i think it is due to its faster processor.

Ergonomics:

This is were i had initial doubt about this camera the range finder design means that there is little grip. Sony Nex-7 is definitely far superior in ergonomics compared to fuji X-M1. However i purchased the Fuji's own hand grip and the ergonomics improved massively. Despite the fact that the camera is mostly plastic it feels very sturdy and very well built all buttons and dials have a quality feel to them compared to other cameras i have used.

Picture quality:
This is were Fuji shines and blow away the competition. Let me say that in my opinion Megapixel count is irrelevant after 10-12MPix unless you are printing your images at extremely large dimensions. This little camera inherits the same sensor as the bigger and more expensive X-Pro1 and X-E1. The image quality of this sensor is simply fantastic. High iso performance in my opinion is far far superior than Sony nex-7 and almost on par with some Full frame DSLRs. in a test that I did, colors from the fuji were more accurate than the sony and very similar to the Canon. I don't use the Kit lens in this camera so i cannot comment on that but combined with the fuji 35mm f1.4 it produces images that I sometimes cannot distinguish at the same size from my full frame camera which costs almost 5 times more.

Negative points:

Ergonomics (as i mentioned )
Lack of EVF (i actually finding it that I am more happy with tilty LCD than EVF)

Positive points:

excellent build quality
Good AF speed compared to sony
Great High iso performance (Low noise)
Small size and weight
Fabulous image quality
Did I mention image quality :)

Overall:
In overall i think fuji has listened to the customers much more than competitors and produced a camera system (x series) with excellent image quality and fantastic lenses both primes and zooms at a very attractive price (fantastic promotions). Compared to other X series X-M1 is a very attractive choice if you dont need the EVF or OVF. No need to say that i sold my NEX-7 on ebay and my DSLR is used less and less due to the high quality and comfort of Fuji.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for cost-conscious amateur entering the interchangeable-lens camera world, 19 Jan 2014
The 449 cost (minus 100 Fuji cashback offer) made this superb value.

This camera's main draw is the sensor - the same 16.3MP X-trans CMOS model found in the flagship X-Pro model (and more junior XE-1) both of which are nearer double the price. The XE-1 has been superseded by the X-E2 featuring an improved processor - the EXR Processor 2, which also appears in this X-M1 model. (The X-E2 does have a new version of the sensor).

Fuji has cut some corners with this model over its pricier siblings.
Build quality is much lighter due to more use of plastics for the body and controls. It is perfectly functional and fit for purpose though.

There is no viewfinder - and the 3'' LCD is the only way to frame and monitor parameters as you shoot.

Fuji did the next best thing though and installed a 921,000 dot screen which is superior to the 460,000 dot screens used on the pricier models. The screen can also be tilted to face up or down to aid otherwise awkward heights.

The X-M1 has fewer direct access controls to commonly used functions but retains the excellent Quick menu and a customisable Function button so having to delve deep into the menus is actually not much of a problem.

If you are used to the above features, then perhaps the X-M1 is a compromise too far, but Fuji have aimed this at users moving up from compacts and phones.

The X-M1 takes excellent shots which of course is no surprise thanks to that sensor. All the lenses in Fuji's X-series catalogue are entirely compatible and the 'kit' lens which (optionally) accompanies the X-M1 is very good for a starter lens. (It is 330 to buy on its own!).

Personally, although I shoot jpeg and raw formats simultaneously on this model, I rarely muck about on a computer with either file types because the Fuji jpeg processing is so good and is acknowledged as such by reviews. In-camera RAW processing is very useful and those interested in this camera may find that very useful: more time shooting, less time computing.

The X-M1 is also wi-fi enabled. Control of the camera is NOT a feature but transferring of files is simple to a smartphone or tablet with Fuji's app/software (free). I view my photos on my tablet when I'm out shooting.

For those familiar with Fuji's X-models, you may wish the X-M1 was more like the X-E1/2/Pro, but the differences are mainly to do with the handling experience not the final image quality, which is as good as its siblings. Then remember the price differential and you won't be disappointed . (Buy a Fuji lens with the residual and get even better results!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performer, 6 Sep 2013
Being a bit of a camera geek I did all my research (of course) and
was all prepared to get the Fuji X-Pro1, all the reviews were amazing
and the X-Trans sensor sounded great...then Fuji brought out
the XM-1...dammit!!! What to do, I'm not a pro but an enthusiastic amateur
with an eye for a good picture and wanted a camera to deliver the goods
but without all the fuss of a DSLR and the weight, so I bought the XM-1.
I'm not disappointed...it has all the features of the XPro-1 (no viewfinder tho)
but for less money! and it delivers fantastic picture quality with good handling.
Its compact, but not lightweight you really know you've got some camera in your
hands and I don't really miss the fact that it doesn't have a viewfinder.
It seems fast enough for me and I love the retro looks and feel, its nice to have dials back again!
All I have to do now is save up for more lenses!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the cost, 9 Feb 2014
Great sensor, kit lens is good outdoors but not great inside as its a bit slow. Flash is useful as it can be bounced up/ backwards. Fantastic sensor. Autofocus is fine for subjects that are not moving. This camera is transformed with any of my 14mm, 18mm, 23mm, 27mm or 35mm lenses. I'd recommend the 27 or 35 with this camera especially the 35 for the combination of cost, sharpness, low light ability (f1.4), size, and being able to change aperture with the aperture ring.

How I would recommend to use the x-m1 for general shooting:

1. Buy the 35 f1.4 lens.
2. Set the camera to aperture priority and auto ISO (with 1/125 sec minimum shutter speed and 3200 ISO max.
3. Now you can change aperture on the lens aperture ring and exposure compensation with the compensation dial

No going into menu's
No worries about using flash (although it's still available)
Fast shutter speeds
Great quality from the x-trams sensor
You can concentrate on framing instead of settings

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CSC, 4 Feb 2014
After pretty much wanting to get a compact system camera for around 2 years I decide to take the plunge and go for the Fuji X-M1. This was partly due to the offer that was on at the time of 100 cash back and 100 credit into my Amazon account although this was not the deciding factor (image quality was) it made the decision to buy pretty much risk free. I have been very impressed with this camera since purchasing and as I do already own some high quality Canon gear,L lenses and full frame camera body then I do know quality when I come across it.
The high ISO performance from this camera is superb,having done some sample images comparing against my Canon 5d at the same ISO the Fuji holds its own and then beats it in the higher ISO range,impressive stuff.
As for build quality,then as many have mentioned it is plastic,but it does not feel cheap,it actually feels very well built as far a I am concerned so please do not worry about this in the slightest.
Focusing is more than adequate in normal conditions but can hunt a little in low light but then so can my Canon 5d!
I also decided to add the XF 35mm lens to my kit a few days later as I was so pleased with what I had seen from the kit lens and camera. I have only been outdoors with the camera once (due to constant rain) and used the kit lens to take some close up wide angle shots of some swans on a local loch and the results were excellent at iso 800,aided by being able to use the flip out screen to compose low angle shots without lying down on my stomach,a real bonus! The rest of my shots have been indoors,just trying out the camera and it`s settings.
I have only used jpegs straight out the camera so far but the results are fabulous and needed virtually no editing at all and have not ventured as far as raw yet so cannot comment on that.
As I said before image quality was the main reason I bought this camera,so the fact it does not have built in HDR (do not like it anyway) or panoramic function ( I have software for that) and lack of touchscreen did not come into the equation,all I need is quality files from my kit and this has it in spades for such a small camera.The camera also performs a sensor clean upon power down,something I have never had on a camera before,having had to clean my 5d sensor manually.
I can see me adding more lenses to my Fuji kit in the not too distant future once the wallet has recovered from buying this and the 35mm lens of course. If you are going to buy a lens then of course do look at the xf 35mm as the quality it produces is superb.
I did loads and loads of research before taking the plunge on a compact system camera,looked long and hard at the Canon version with cash back and eos lens adapter, but decide that even though I am a Canon user there were not enough reasons to stick with them for this purchase,( lack of lenses being one of them) who wants to use a full size lens on a csc body? It defeats the purpose of having a csc as far as I am concerned.
There have been firmware updates for the body and lens and so you may need to update them,as I had to,( you can check in camera to make sure) but the process is pretty simple and straightforward and can be found on the Fujifilm website under the support section.
The deal available on this camera now is also superb, with Fuji offering a free xc50 -230mm ois lens worth 379 via a claim form,(if purchased from Amazon.co.uk and not a 3rd party seller I hasten to add,just in case you do not realize that!)which is a fantastic offer,maybe even better than the deal I got!
If you are looking for a csc and are debating getting this then please be assured that if image quality is what you are after then you will not be disappointed with this camera and superb accompanying ois kit lens, whether moving up from a point and shoot compact or as a sidekick to a DSLR it fits the bill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan-dabby-dozy, 17 Jan 2014
David Stewart "boulder100" (Oxford) - See all my reviews
I went travelling in 2012 with a Fuji f600 exr which had a manual mode but as it was only a compact superzoom, it was very limited in what it could do and this was how I got into photography. Wanting to hone my skills and take better images as well as RAW images, I researched for months over what to take away for my next trip, but couldnt afford the 500+ pricetags of comparable cameras. Then I saw the offer before Christmas which equated to getting 600 worth of camera for well under half that and snapped it up.
I confess, I'm not someone who blows megabucks on cameras and kit, but have to say, the images compared to friends DSLR shots. It has a bulb mode which I love as I am always messing around with sky shots and torches.
I also bought a third party adapter to M42 thread and a cheap Pentacon f1.8 prime lens. You have to use manual focus, which can be a bit tricky sometimes, but provided you aren't in a rush, you can get some incredible shots with fantastic depth of field for less than 40 quid.
Overall, the camera is fantastic. Easy to use, and if you've used Fuji before, you'll get on with it very quickly. I won't eschew the spec as you can read that yourself, but to use, it is solid, pretty light, compact and the battery life is fantastic. I've well exceeded 500 shots a few times. If your bugbear is the lack of viewfinder, that's your choice, but you'll pay another 100 minimum extra, plus you have the added size and weight. I don't really miss one as the screen is beautifully clear and sharp.
If you can get a deal on it, you are getting one hell of a lot of camera for price of a superzoom with sensor 1/4 the size. Don't dilly-dally; buy it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›