4.0 out of 5 stars Windows Laptop replacement
Published 10 months ago by S. P. Macaulay

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been so much better!
Having owned Galaxy Tabs and Galaxy Note devices, I really expected more from Samsung with the Ativ Tab 3. I was fed up lugging my heavy MacBook around when travelling with work and like others wanted a lightweight substitute. This device is definitely lightweight but unfortunately the processor ruins the device and the user experience.
The Intel Atom processor is...
Published 8 months ago by B. Frame

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been so much better!, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Samsung ATIV Tab 3 10.1-inch Tablet - White (Intel Atom Z2760 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
The Intel Atom processor is fine for simple tasks like web browsing and typing documents, but in my experience that's as far as it goes. The included S pen is a great idea but the reality is that the processor is too slow to really make writing with the pen a smooth and enjoyable experience. It really lags and the results are not as good as found on the Galaxy Note devices. In theory, a slim and lightweight tablet running full windows 8.1 is a marvellous idea, but again, the processor can't cope with such a demanding operating system and multi-tasking is pretty much impossible. Running more than one program at a time was very frustrating in my experience as it really lagged. Even opening a program takes a lot longer than you would expect.
Samsung say the battery should allow up to 10 hours of use, but not so for me. I am lucky to get 4 hours and charging with the official charger takes longer than I would have liked. There is also a real lack of quality accessories for this tab. There is a book cover and keyboard cover available for this by Samsung but I can't find them anywhere at a reasonable price. There are plus points though, the screen is sharp with good colour representation (even though the maximum resolution is 1366 x 768) and it benefits from an HDMI port aswell as a MicroSD card slot and mini USB port. I have just received a Microsoft Surface Pro which also has it's problems but it is far superior to this offering from Samsung. I will be selling mine on as it's just not powerful enough for my needs. It's such a pity, if Samsung had added a better processor, such as the newer Intel Bay Trail instead of the older (and cheaper) Clover Trail, this Windows Tab would've been really good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows Laptop replacement, 21 Feb 2014
S. P. Macaulay (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I needed a replacement for my laptop and I spend a lot of time traveling all over the world. I needed something Windows compatible and able to have 'normal' windows programs installed. This fits the bill really well and is sooo much easier to carry around in my hand luggage. Performance is good, battery life okay. Limitation is that the Camera is really poor (I thought the plastic cover was still on!) and this model has no option for 3G or SIMcard etc. Good buy though and for my needs spot on!

2.0 out of 5 stars I had to give this one back after a weekend with it, 9 July 2014
I don't think full windows is ready for tablets, what tablet doesn't allow you to keep playing music while in sleep mode?. The apps availability is really poor. A lot of then even if they are shown on the store you're not able to download, and the apps store crashes a lot, and because of is low RAM (2GB) the system crashes with simple tasks when they're done together. I don't recommend this tablet, maybe in the future Windows learn how to make the full version better on mobile devices, but no chance at the moment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 17 Feb 2014
It is very good, but it has a very slow wifi receiver. My ipad and my Samsung 10.1 runs more than ativ tab 3, when exploring internet. I believe that RAM Size: 2 GB is to little and it needs 4GB.

4.0 out of 5 stars not a ferrari but it works, 7 Jan 2014
I. A. Jakubiak "techno addict" (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a windows tablet as something to carry with me when I go to work or travel. Carrying my heavy duty laptop was a drag. But I like windows 8.1 and wanted the convenience of known environment with the added plus of small, portable, touch enabled screen.
After looking long and hard, I decided to give Samsung Ativ a try. I didn't expect fireworks, but a reasonable compromise. I considered Microsoft Surface, but it was heavy and expensive. I looked at sony xperia - beside being waterproof, nothing spectacular and no windows.
I didn't particulary like the specs. Intel Atom Z2760 1.8 Gz is mediocre. Screen resolution 1360 x 760 (or so) is also kind of last season.
And so my first impression was - no, this is not worth my time and money. I turned it on and tested the camera - and the rating went even lower. Camera, on both sides is just about good for skyping. There is a flash, but the pictures made with either of them (front or back) are not worth keeping. But then, I wanted a tablet and not a photocamera.
Next thing, I upgraded to Windows 8.1. It wasn't straight forward, because there were about 70 other windows updates necessary first, before it gave an option of downloading windows 8.1. Done.
And so I came to main reason why I wanted windows - namely Microsoft office.
Yes, it comes preloaded, home and student version, but when you try to run is first time is asks you to buy, activate or try. I didn't want to buy or try. I know office. So I felt let down. However, after referring to a tiny package of paperwork delivered with the tablet, I found an activation code. And voila! It works.
From this point, the outlook of the tablet looked better and better.
With no problem I sent copies of my pictures from my laptop to the tablet (not all of them!) via local wi-fi.
I believe it would work like that for any file/folder.
And best of all, I found a TouchPal!
One of the reasons I wanted a tablet to write documents was that I do write in 2 different languages and the Polish keyboard differs from English. There are many 'funny' signs in Polish, which makes typing on a standard keyboard difficult. And for some time now, I learnt to love SWYPE, which comes with several language packages. It's available for android and Iphones, but not for windows so far.
But now it is! it's even present in the Windows store as a link to the developers.
This morning I installed it and after few corrections, I was able to write documents both in English and Polish with no effort!
This makes my mind. Okay, most of my old games would not play on the tablet (they were not optimised for touch), but I am not a big gamer. I found some new and they are satisfactory for me.
So summarising - not a sparkling diamond, but a decent working tool. (We will see for how long - I could hardly test the battery.)

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a nice tablet and when it works it's worth using however ..., 14 Nov 2014
It should have 5 stars but I have a problem after a few weeks - read below. if it gets fixed I will upgrade my rating.

This is a nice tablet and when it works it's worth using however I have owned it for just 3-4 weeks and it is already broke on Nov 13 2014.

I have requested an immediate replacement from the supplier.

It will not turn on nor will it charge despite using many recommended techniques - except opening the case. Investigations have provided information regarding the battery etc. it appears to be an inherent Samsung problem that affects many tablets and smart phones . We also have a Samsung galaxy tab 3 tablet and S4 phones none of which have this problem.

I have requested a replacement as it is now a necessity for work.

I will update when the problem is resolved by the supplier / Samsung and it's working continuously which I expect it to

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, 24 Oct 2013
The tablet is great. I especially appreciate the pre installed microsoft word. As a lecturer it allows me to tweak documents on the go and transfer them from one portal to another without worrying about compatibility. The only thing I am unhappy about is the price. Its rather pricey, but otherwise its all I expected it to be.On another note, my first delivery was tempered with, i.e. when the package arrived, I noticed on trying to open it up that it had been opened and taped over. Inside was an an odd car back sit mirror. I was furious.
Amazon were however very swift in providing me with a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellence again from samsung, 26 Sep 2013
the samsung ativ tab is a windows computer in a tablet. Absolutely brilliant. Cant say much else really but would certainly recommend to anyone who needs to use a computer on the go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TAB, 30 July 2014
Now that I've found a case and bluetooth keyboard for it (NOT Samsung, obviously) everythig is complete.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't like the idea of taking so long to reinstall Windows ..., 29 Oct 2014
Took nearly two days to update to Windows 8.1 and then still further updates required. Screen had a 'blue' tinge to it. Didn't like the idea of taking so long to reinstall Windows 8.1. if I needed to. Returned - will buy tablet with 8.1 already installed.