4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite Five Stars, But Easily 4.5
Published 4 months ago by Vernal Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been so much better!
Having owned Galaxy Tabs and Galaxy Note devices, I really expected more from Samsung with the Ativ Tab 3. I was fed up lugging my heavy MacBook around when travelling with work and like others wanted a lightweight substitute. This device is definitely lightweight but unfortunately the processor ruins the device and the user experience.
The Intel Atom processor is...
Published 14 months ago by B. Frame

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Quite Five Stars, But Easily 4.5, 9 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Samsung ATIV Tab 3 10.1-inch Tablet - White (Intel Atom Z2760 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM, 64GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
This cutie is now under £180 new if you know where to look, but first things first. This is a very capable tablet, but you MUST install ALL the Samsung and Windows software updates before use or you will run into avoidable problems, as detailed by other less happy reviewers. Once done, I further updated my Tab 3 to Windows 8.1, and while this took more patience than I thought I was capable of, it was well worth it in the end. My Tab now offers a very a buoyant 10.1 screen - my previous 8 inch Voyo proved too small for my word processing needs - 64GB of expandable storage, S-pen functionality, well placed stereo speakers (either side of the screen, making Netflix, You Tube, and Amazon Prime a BIG YES!!!), decent cameras with flash, full MS Office which won't seek a painful 70 quid fee in a year from now, very pleasing aesthetics, as well as being joyfully portable. Those are all major pluses. On the minus front, I initially had to concur with other reviewers who criticised the Ativ's processing performance, but things got much better after all the updates were installed. Also, the accessories are out there, but you really have to look for them - forget trying to find the official keyboard! Anyway, at this new lower price point, this tablet is a bit of an irresistible bargain. I really am very very happy with it, plus I get a certain confidence from the Samsung product name. The even cheaper Linx 10 is a strong contender at under 160 quid, although it has fewer bells and whistles and its Windows Office license runs out after a year. Another contender is the similarly priced Asus Vivo Tab LTE, but mine lasted just one day before it died an unexplained silent death, so I accepted a refund and bought my happy Sammy instead. While I can't give it five stars at present, this may change in the upwards direction in time. I certainly think it's better than the competition at the same price. All else aside, I am especially pleased that full Windows 8.1 tablets are dropping in price generally, and we can all celebrate that!

4.0 out of 5 stars Windows Laptop replacement, 21 Feb. 2014
S. P. Macaulay (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I needed a replacement for my laptop and I spend a lot of time traveling all over the world. I needed something Windows compatible and able to have 'normal' windows programs installed. This fits the bill really well and is sooo much easier to carry around in my hand luggage. Performance is good, battery life okay. Limitation is that the Camera is really poor (I thought the plastic cover was still on!) and this model has no option for 3G or SIMcard etc. Good buy though and for my needs spot on!

4.0 out of 5 stars not a ferrari but it works, 7 Jan. 2014
I. A. Jakubiak "techno addict" (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a windows tablet as something to carry with me when I go to work or travel. Carrying my heavy duty laptop was a drag. But I like windows 8.1 and wanted the convenience of known environment with the added plus of small, portable, touch enabled screen.
After looking long and hard, I decided to give Samsung Ativ a try. I didn't expect fireworks, but a reasonable compromise. I considered Microsoft Surface, but it was heavy and expensive. I looked at sony xperia - beside being waterproof, nothing spectacular and no windows.
I didn't particulary like the specs. Intel Atom Z2760 1.8 Gz is mediocre. Screen resolution 1360 x 760 (or so) is also kind of last season.
And so my first impression was - no, this is not worth my time and money. I turned it on and tested the camera - and the rating went even lower. Camera, on both sides is just about good for skyping. There is a flash, but the pictures made with either of them (front or back) are not worth keeping. But then, I wanted a tablet and not a photocamera.
Next thing, I upgraded to Windows 8.1. It wasn't straight forward, because there were about 70 other windows updates necessary first, before it gave an option of downloading windows 8.1. Done.
And so I came to main reason why I wanted windows - namely Microsoft office.
Yes, it comes preloaded, home and student version, but when you try to run is first time is asks you to buy, activate or try. I didn't want to buy or try. I know office. So I felt let down. However, after referring to a tiny package of paperwork delivered with the tablet, I found an activation code. And voila! It works.
From this point, the outlook of the tablet looked better and better.
With no problem I sent copies of my pictures from my laptop to the tablet (not all of them!) via local wi-fi.
I believe it would work like that for any file/folder.
And best of all, I found a TouchPal!
One of the reasons I wanted a tablet to write documents was that I do write in 2 different languages and the Polish keyboard differs from English. There are many 'funny' signs in Polish, which makes typing on a standard keyboard difficult. And for some time now, I learnt to love SWYPE, which comes with several language packages. It's available for android and Iphones, but not for windows so far.
But now it is! it's even present in the Windows store as a link to the developers.
This morning I installed it and after few corrections, I was able to write documents both in English and Polish with no effort!
This makes my mind. Okay, most of my old games would not play on the tablet (they were not optimised for touch), but I am not a big gamer. I found some new and they are satisfactory for me.
So summarising - not a sparkling diamond, but a decent working tool. (We will see for how long - I could hardly test the battery.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could've been so much better!, 12 April 2014
The Intel Atom processor is fine for simple tasks like web browsing and typing documents, but in my experience that's as far as it goes. The included S pen is a great idea but the reality is that the processor is too slow to really make writing with the pen a smooth and enjoyable experience. It really lags and the results are not as good as found on the Galaxy Note devices. In theory, a slim and lightweight tablet running full windows 8.1 is a marvellous idea, but again, the processor can't cope with such a demanding operating system and multi-tasking is pretty much impossible. Running more than one program at a time was very frustrating in my experience as it really lagged. Even opening a program takes a lot longer than you would expect.
Samsung say the battery should allow up to 10 hours of use, but not so for me. I am lucky to get 4 hours and charging with the official charger takes longer than I would have liked. There is also a real lack of quality accessories for this tab. There is a book cover and keyboard cover available for this by Samsung but I can't find them anywhere at a reasonable price. There are plus points though, the screen is sharp with good colour representation (even though the maximum resolution is 1366 x 768) and it benefits from an HDMI port aswell as a MicroSD card slot and mini USB port. I have just received a Microsoft Surface Pro which also has it's problems but it is far superior to this offering from Samsung. I will be selling mine on as it's just not powerful enough for my needs. It's such a pity, if Samsung had added a better processor, such as the newer Intel Bay Trail instead of the older (and cheaper) Clover Trail, this Windows Tab would've been really good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, 24 Oct. 2013
The tablet is great. I especially appreciate the pre installed microsoft word. As a lecturer it allows me to tweak documents on the go and transfer them from one portal to another without worrying about compatibility. The only thing I am unhappy about is the price. Its rather pricey, but otherwise its all I expected it to be.On another note, my first delivery was tempered with, i.e. when the package arrived, I noticed on trying to open it up that it had been opened and taped over. Inside was an an odd car back sit mirror. I was furious.
Amazon were however very swift in providing me with a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TAB, 30 July 2014
Now that I've found a case and bluetooth keyboard for it (NOT Samsung, obviously) everythig is complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... confused by some of the negative reviews - you pretty much get exactly what you'd expect from the specs, 8 Feb. 2015
I'm a little bit confused by some of the negative reviews - you pretty much get exactly what you'd expect from the specs. it's a netbook powered (not ultrabook) tablet which runs windows 8.1 (updates after purchase) beautifully and is ideal for someone looking for a work machine to travel with. Paired with a cheap keyboard case I find it perfect on business trips abroad and for working on trains, client offices etc. It runs more smoothly than my old first series note 10.1 (which was quad core and ran the much lighter android) so all around very pleased with the device. It's not 5* because it's the best money can buy but it's definitely the most capable device at this kind of price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellence again from samsung, 26 Sept. 2013
the samsung ativ tab is a windows computer in a tablet. Absolutely brilliant. Cant say much else really but would certainly recommend to anyone who needs to use a computer on the go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating experience, 10 Jan. 2015
I am not sure if there is something wrong with it but it is giving me problems with locking up and not running programmes as it should.
I am thinking that the lock ups are caused by the larger windows updates that come through at times. It appears that the CPU/Ram cannot cope with them, or should I say it cannot run anything else when processing them. Its the first windows 8 gizmo that I have had so I am not familiar with its faults/limitations etc. Other than the updates problem I have tried to get SKYPE loaded and going, I keep getting errors and "the programme needs to shut down" message. I have not had a successful connection yet with it. Google earth is the same, it loads up and displays the earth then nothing for ages, cannot zoom, rotate, search or anything. I am usually quite good with PC's, I have tried to reduce the load on the CPU/RAM by stopping and removing programmes that I don't need buy I am still getting the same things happening. It works with all the pre loaded stuff (except when the update problem happens), I can view email, use the camera etc, which means I doubt if I would get any joy in returning it. I think I am stuck with it as it works most of the time. It just very frustrating, if I am just browsing it will most probably work but it seems that when I need it for something specific I cannot rely on being able to do it. I have had it now for a few months and I have no confidence in it what so ever. Perhaps I should have gone for apple.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 Oct. 2014
Edward Wilby (Saltburn by the sea) - See all my reviews
Very happy with it .Had a bit of a job getting Skype.It works OK now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›