5.0 out of 5 stars The best laptop I have ever used
Published 10 months ago by Ant

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing - to put it mildly
The positives first:

This is a great 'looking' laptop, with a good SSD drive, fast start and wake-up times, and an incredibly hi-res screen.

The negatives:

Published 8 months ago by Paddy Lambert

5.0 out of 5 stars The best laptop I have ever used, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Samsung ATIV Book 9 13.3-inch Touchscreen Notebook - Black (Intel Core i5 4200U 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
I love this machine, perhaps a little too much. The speed, silence and most of all the resolution of the thing is something you have to see to believe, be warned however, it will make all other laptop screens look like kids crayon drawings. I replaced my second monitor with a 2560 X 1440 one from Viewsonic as the difference in DPI between this and the 23" Asus was too jarring. Echo the other reviewer (the one who has actually used the product) - amazing laptop and kudos to Amazon, it dropped £200 a few days after I bought it and they happily refunded me the difference. I am yet to run into anything that makes it stutter and it drives the 27" second monitor with multiple windows open with ease. It looks the part too and I am very happy with Windows (8.1 was a good upgrade) though there are a couple of programs which don't like the high resolution, Chrome for one which is strange given the resolution of the Pixel so I have migrated to Firefox which looks pin sharp. Battery life is around the 6 to 8 hour mark depending on my usage, it is nice not to have to constantly plug in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, 5 Feb 2014
I spent a year figuring out what to go for. Key things for me; minimal fan noise, light, nice design , nice keyboard.
I don't play games and dont need more than 4 g ram.

the laptop is very nicely engineered. after a couple of months I still wonder at the design and feel. It's got nice smooth nice lines and is light. It feels well put together, compared to the Sony Vaio pro 13 it a different world. (I didnt go for the Sony because of the reported fan noise and it just doesnt feel nice. The screen bounce makes it feel like a toy.

the screen is rock solid in terms of bounce but its my son who benefits from this. I thought I would use it but I HATE WINDOWS 8. First I thought the tiles looked nice, different and many reports have tried to make them work for them. But I downloaded Stardock and Modernmix and never looked back. I reckon Win 9 will bypass the s***ty tiles and go back to the desktop proper like the Mac is sticking with.

I had a few issues with HDMI out (I use netflix to my TV) but a process of elimination told me it was the cable. Get a thick one...
I wouldnt bother upgrading to 8.1 because I think it makes some of the port unstable - just my opinion. I'm sticking with Win 8 and using Stardock and I' fine with this.

Bottom line, the keyboard takes a little getting used to because of the shallow key travel but I really like it now. Feels much more modern and I type just a quickly or even more so. The screen is high res but I run it at 1600 x 900 with 125% and its good for my 44 year old eyes. chrome and opera seem to like this and my photos seems just as good to my eyes.

So that's my view. It's a very nice laptop. I was seriously considering the Mac air 13 but just could make the jump. maybe next time. For now. 10/10 to samsung for the laptop but 4/10 for Win 8.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive powerful and rapid, 17 Nov 2013
Early days with this ultrabook, so my preliminary thoughts are all positive. After checking all the online expert reviews this came out highly recommended, so far I can see why, its a joy to use. As for the reviewer giving 3 star rating who does not own or use it I am amazed Amazon allow that to be posted, especially as after checking a review of the Yoga 2 he rates against it?? its performance was measured to be slower than most in class, so yes it has a bigger SSD but at the cost of slower performance! I will update this review in a week of two of use.

Update
Having used this for over a year it all mainly positive but will NOT run windows 8.1 !!!!! so dont even try as it causes a major crash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fine piece of equipment, 24 Feb 2014
Not cheap, but extremely high performing, with a beautiful screen, lovely keys and it's ridiculously light. Recommended for a top end ultrabook.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing - to put it mildly, 1 Feb 2014
The positives first:

The negatives:

1. The screen is so hi-res that you would have to have the eyes of a kestrel to see application menus, etc. The first thing you have to do is adjust it back down to lower-res to make it useable. Even then, you have to mess with applications to try and get them to look right, e.g. Chrome, but then they look blurry rather than sharp. Most applications out there simply can't cope with this hi-res a display, simple as that. Even if you get the content looking OK, the menus require a scanning electron microscope to see them. I spent ages fiddling and never got there ... so why pay for a screen you can't use.
2. The touchpad may do lots of clever stuff, e.g. pinch, etc., but it also is super-sensitive so when you're typing into Word (say) suddenly you brush it with the heel of your hand and ... woo hoo ... the screen zooms, or rotates. And, worst of all, try using the built-in (but concealed) mouse buttons. I defy anyone to reliably hit what they're clicking on. Unusable. Frustrating.
3. Very quiet on battery, but pug it in and the fan comes on, even if you're doing nothing intensive. And it's loud. Loud enough to distract even with the TV on.
4. WIndows 8. Ok, not the device's fault but shudder. And it ships with 8.0 and then makes a meal out of downloading 1.4GB+ of updates to get it to Windows 8.1 (the tail-between-its-legs-run-back-to-Windows-7). A 140MB update just for the touchpad drivers! You better have pretty fierce broadband.

In summary, £1.25k for a laptop that I found essentially unusable.

Returned it. Or should I say, attempted to return it. Why does Amazon persist in using Yodel as a courier? They couldn't organise their way out a paper bag, let alone pick one up!

Eugene the disappointed

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor RAM and Storage, 7 Oct 2013
K. Lucas (UK) - See all my reviews
Double the RAM and SSD and I would buy one. Once you hit this price range skimping is pointless.
YOGA 2 for me.