4.0 out of 5 stars A definite change for Avenged Sevenfold
Avenged Sevenfold's influence passed through my music taste a few years ago, but still I find myself intrigued whenever they bring out new material, so, around once a year I still put a new Avenged Sevenfold on the speakers and see whats new.

Published 13 months ago by Smatch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, just not great
Like many other people have already mentioned, this album sounds more like a mis-matched collection of tributes to their heroes, rather than a single piece of work by the band.

When you compare this album to their previous output, I'm sorry to say (in my opinion), it doesn't come close. No tracks really jumped out of the speakers and gripped me, and after 3 or...
Published 13 months ago by thetincanman

‹ Previous | 112 13 1417 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hail to A7X, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hail to the King (MP3 Download)
Drummer Arin Ilejay joins the lineup in this album which is also the first without any contributions from Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan. However, this has had no ill effect on the bands musical prowess. With a chilling rain soaked start to complex melodic piano and guitars to finish, this album is another sound addition to any music library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, excellent, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
New to Avenged Sevenfold but this is the best album I've bought in a year.
Had it on loop on my player and in my car for weeks and it does not grow old.
Let a friend listen to it and he bought it too.
Absolutely excellent. Really classy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every song is amazing, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
One of the best albums they have ever done. Every songs a winner it's difficult to choose which one's the best. Hail to the king is epic and crimson day fabulous. I have it on the car cd all the time. It's one of those albums you never get tired of.

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid change for the band, 26 Aug 2013
Smatch (South West) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)

The first notable thing is that this is the first album where Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan's influence is no where; he was such a huge influence on the music you can hear that loss of input. I think it was remarkable that the band carried on after such a massive loss, both musically and emotionally. They did, and this album once again marks another change in their musical style.

I wasn't that impressed when hearing the single for the first time as it didn't feel like it was painting the right picture for the album; it was painfully simple, not very dynamic and just very formulaic. After giving the whole album a listen it was clear there was much more to it than the single promised.

It opens with 'Shepherd of Fire'. A very dark, moody baritone brass intro mirroring the chords and a thudding drum riff. This song sets the tone for the rest of the album and reveals straight away how much this album is influenced by previous legendary metal bands.

After 'Hail to the King' comes 'Doing Time', probably one of the weakest on the album, it really is quite forgettable, even a stylish Slash/Dimebag hybrid of a solo can't really save it.

'This Means War' is unashamedly a direct descendant of Metallica's 'Sad But True', from every element possible: drum, guitar and lyrical timing. Thats not to say it isn't an enjoyable song, and a couple of underlying guitar harmonies do colour the song nicely and the solo is not a Hammett rip-off at least.

'Requiem' is a slow plodder of a song and leads smoothly from 'War' and presents the first full wah solo Synyster Gates has done I think. The lyrics are are as epic as the semi-ridiculous Latin chanting that opens the song, but again I think it ties together as a good song.

'Crimson Day' takes a cue from James Hetfield's clean guitar tone from 'The Black Album' and is a soft ballad. I actually enjoy Shadows' voice when harsh and loud but it isn't versatile enough here to give anything but a rather flat dimension to a softer song like this, and he has to rely on some vocal layering to thicken it up a bit.

Too many elements close to the end of 'Heretic' are extremely similar to the verse from 'Buried Alive' from previous album 'Nightmare', some of it is almost note-for-note, especially the harmonious guitar leading up to the solo, which is actually a good one: raw at the start with a very iron maiden-like harmony to close it out. (It actually reminds me of the solo from 'Hanger 18' by Megadeth.

'Coming Home', again has a very prominent maiden influence, the verse especially. And its full of solos. Its a good fast song.

'Planets' exhibits simple thudding drums, with a trombone again underlining the chorded intro and later in the song (its actually a bit James Bond-like in places), its quite a dark sounding opening riff and typical of this album the opening chords are translated into muted thuds for the verse.

'Acid Rain' is doubtless the most surprising song on the album. Avenged Sevenfold have attempted ballads before, but none as good as this; with a piano/strings intro which is threaded throughout. Its waltz-like (the timing is in 3/4) and the tone in Shadows' voice is surprisingly impressive in all aspects, notably in in the chorus.
This song sounds like a ballad Guns n' Roses could have written if they were in original dominant form today, which is not a knock in any way as it has a definite originality and is, for me the song I'll most likely play again over the next couple of days.

Being a guitarist myself I should talk about Brian Haner's (Synyster Gates') solos; they are radically different from anything he's done before, visceral in places, from a classic tapping Van Halen influence to very bluesy vibrato reminding you of early Guns n' Roses Slash, and still with a big lean towards the raw leads of Dimebag. And then of course the classic Avenged Sevenfold harmonies. That all being said, his solos still retain the uniqueness that stands him apart from the majority of modern rock/metal guitaristgs working today.

Its a stripped back album, with clear influences of eighties and nineties metal throughout, but not produced in a way that inspires a very raw feeling in my opinion, it may well be a little too over produced, it doesn't really have that grit that Metallica's 'The Black Album' had.
I think that even though a little derivative at times it isn't a bad a thing that their influences are so discernible either, because they mostly pull it off. I enjoyed the album, but there is nothing groundbreaking to be found here. It makes you wonder if the band are ever going to stop changing their sound, or whether they'll settle on this and refine. I'll be ready for the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hail To The King, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
Hail To The King is A7Xs 6th Studio album and is a welcomed and solid effort.
Stand out tracks for me are Acid Rain,Requiem and This Means War.
If you're an Avenged Sevenfold fan.. buy it you won't be disappointed. If you're a Metal elitist (with your head stuck up your a$$) then buy it too.. but keep the receipt so that instead of whining you can return it and exchange it for yet another copy of Waking The Fallen. I'm sure A7X won't mind.

6th album.. A bit of a change in direction.

Great stuff!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull is an understatement, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
So you liked Avenged Sevenfold's previous intelligent, unique and energetic albums, and want more? Well, you've come to the wrong place. This album is the most awful disappointment an Avenged Sevenfold fan could expect from a new release.

Prior to Hail To The King, Avenged Sevenfold's music was thoughtful, technical and really quite progressive within its genre. Here, however, we have none of that whatsoever. Listening to the word 'boring' repeated for a boring 60 minutes in a boring monotone voice would be less boring than the songs on Hail To The King. There is not a shred of Avenged Sevenfold's innovative edge here - instead we are treated to the most boring riffs from Metallica's 'discard' pile, dull song structures a la Justin Bieber, and, every now and then, a helping of Synyster Gates recycling his old solos. Every now and then they try and do something different, such as the choral Latin intro of Reqiuem, but it just comes across as so awfully cliche it is embarrassing, it almost sounds as if they're parodying themselves.

If you can find anything of interest on this album, I applaud you. I for one could not. As I am writing this I am listening to Save Me from Nightmare, a song into which Avenged Sevenfold managed to fit more material of any worth than if they wrote another 1000 'Hail To The King's. I am hoping this is nothing more than a lull in Avenged Sevenfold's otherwise shining discography, but it seems with Nightmare they have peaked. Perhaps it is the absence of the song-writing genius The Rev, perhaps they just got lazy. Either way, this album is dreadful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hail to the Kings, 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
I am very impressed with this album by Avenged Sevenfold, I am a new listener to the band, but these guys know how to rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars A headline act, 17 Aug 2014
T. Nicholson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
A very strong album which led to the headlining the download festival. A7X are a must for any modern metalhead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Aug 2014
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
All good, not the best album they made but CD turned up early and well packaged as always

1.0 out of 5 stars So so so disappointing., 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hail To The King (Audio CD)
I was quite excited about the release of this album, but when I heard the single my expectations dropped rapidly. They did say that this album would be stripped back and quite raw in comparison to their other work, more straight forward 'metal'. I seems to me like they have just become very lazy and quite careless. I'm probably completely wrong, and the guys might have worked really hard, but the music itself just screams lazy.

Every song is too similar to one another, I found myself ridiculously bored after the 3rd song, but I made a point of listening to the end. There is really no stand out track to me, as it all merged into one painfully boring song.

The reason I liked Avenged Sevenfold in the first place was the blistering energy and intensity of their music, the fast and furious riffs, backed by some crazy drumming! But with this album, all that has disappeared. Its just moderately paced, not very dynamic and really just quite plain and simple, too simple. I hope they go back to their early stuff in future releases.

I know its all personal opinion, but I would really have a listen before you buy, be warned.

‹ Previous | 112 13 1417 | Next ›

Hail To The King
Hail To The King by Avenged Sevenfold (Audio CD - 2013)