5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps Getting Better and Better, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Witchwood Estate - Cursed (bk3 - short story series) (Kindle Edition)
Cursed..Book 3 in the Witchwood estate series, wow, this series does get better and better. With each new book we are introduced to more spells, more danger, more excitement, and even a touch of romance. Patti Roberts actually left us hanging on book 2 and rather than head straight into what happens next in book 3 we had to wait for a couple of chapters. I was so tempted to jump ahead but I didn't, and believe me, it's worth the wait.

In this book we learn a lot more about the characters already introduced, and we are introduced to even more, this time including a handsome vampire. The book also has illustrations of spell book pages which are beautiful. Everything about these books is captivating, the characters, the story line, the illustrations and the fact that you are left wanting to read more and more. Book 4 won't be out until early next year and I am already impatient to see what happens next, it's that kind of book/series.

This series would be perfect as a gift, especially with Christmas coming up. The first two books can be bought in a set, book 3 is on it's own, and book 4 is coming soon, so you could buy the set for a friend, and they could read the first three books in time for the release of book for in 2014. Great idea :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting World, 24 July 2013
M Medler "Ella" (UK) - See all my reviews
Cursed is part three of the Witchwood Estate series, and it's just as entrancing as the first two.

I have to admit that I was a tiny bit sceptical about reading a book as you would watch a serial on TV, but it works. Each `episode' is a short read in itself, but the books are well-priced and the storyline engrossing.

There was a gap of several weeks between books, but even so, I found I could easily pick up where I left off. The author's ability to create a world rich enough and characters deep enough to stay with you is a talent not many have. As a reader, I am grateful for that. This is a series I know I can follow, and I certainly enjoyed losing myself in it.

Besides the beautiful storytelling voice, Patti Roberts has added a visual aspect in the recipe sheet from the witches' spell book, and also a good selection of bonus material, relevant to the story - from the list of characters to the witchcraft terminology and meanings of birthstones, crystals, candles, animal symbols... You name it, it's in there. Very interesting.

I wholeheartedly recommend Witchwood Estate - all three books have exceeded my expectations. Beautifully written, this series is suitable for all ages. It would certainly make a smooth-flowing TV serial aimed at a younger adult audience. I'm a fan! I want to read more. Easily 5 out of 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars entertaining serialisation of a promising story, 23 July 2013
Jeannie Zelos (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Witchwood Estate - Books 1 & 2 & 3. Patti Roberts.

Arc provided by author
I need to start with a caveat. When I agreed to review these books I didn't realise they were an ongoing series, of short novellas rather than a traditional type of series, and that's something I never read, although I love traditional series. Still, I started with book one on Saturday and quickly became engrossed in the world of Witchwood. The description covers the storyline that's going to be revealed over a series of books, and each are a reasonably priced quick read. As I said its not how I prefer to read, but I'm a quick reader, I've friends who only have limited time to read and I'm sure they'd enjoy this type of book. It's certainly worked for womens magazines for many years, I can recall my mothers ones serialising books back in the sixties so though its new to e-books the format certainly works.
Its a beautifully descriptive book, full of evocative mystery and mood setting. I really feel as if I'm one with whatever scene Patti sets. I do feel its aimed at the Young Adult market and that's a genre I only dip into occasionally, but this is so well written that it will appeal to older readers too looking for something a bit different. I enjoyed the characters, there are a lot of them and I did find it difficult remembering just who was who, and where they fit in the tale but then for an ongoing series we need lots of people to carry the story and keep it interesting. The basic plot is laid out but its early in the series so far, and though I've an idea where the story is going its very open as to what adventures are going to be revealed, and what sort of magic and mystical creatures it will contain.
What's incredibly useful is the info at the end of the book on the witches calender, the herbs used in spells, crystals and their meanings, animal symbols and a host of other interesting details that will help the reader follow what promises to be a complex series.

Even though I don't usually read books in this format I found the world and people Patti has created to be engrossing, and the writing style is just perfect for the story that's slowly being revealed. Its like drawing back a curtain to expose another world, each glimpse tantalises and seduces the reader into wanting more. Alexandria is the perfect heroine for this tale, she has a blend of innocence, combined with intelligence and a strong sense of morality. With the evil I feel is coming she will need to be able to draw on all her strengths to do the right thing.

Overall even though its not my preferred type of reading I can see how this series will appeal to young adults and others who have limited time for reading. Its an exciting story broken down into easily read bite sized instalments. Though my star rating is a three and a half-only because of my personal reading preferences, I can see that for the right reader this will be a five star series.

ARRAY(0xa7cac558)