4.0 out of 5 stars Succeeded to make reader rethink about the nature of terms advantages and disadvantages
“David and Goliath” by Malcolm Gladwell is not only what its name is suggesting - the book about how small can beat big, those that are considered to be less capable those who are the stars – but also a book that convinces the reader that there are no unbridgeable obstacles, and strange nature of our advantages and disadvantages that can easily become...
Published 9 months ago by Denis Vukosav

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite pull it off
Gladwell has a formula: he picks a grand thesis - in this case that what are ordinarily perceived of as disadvantages might not be wholly negative - and then carefully arranges around it anecdotes of such simple humanity that one is forced, between dabbing the tears away and spontaneous rounds of applause, to swallow the damn thing whole.

There's a circle of...
Published 5 months ago by boggisbitesvampires

‹ Previous | 17 8 913 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 26 Aug 2014
Not his most in depth book but some good points raised.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 26 Jan 2014
really interesting counter intuitive thinking arguments that challenge the presumptions we build on our own experience which shape our thinking

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, good stories, engaging characters but a few annoying tricks, 9 Nov 2013
Malcolm Galdwell does not need an introduction. He made his name by popularising various psychological concepts and by connecting them to everyday life situations. David and Goliath benefited from an impressive global marketing campaign but at least this is a good and engaging read. The style is very good and talks you thorough the argumentation of the author. The substance revolves around the argument saying that what appears to be strength is often a weakness. The entire book is then dedicated to the exploration through the ages, the fields and continents of this idea. I have enjoyed the book but my only criticism is that I have found it difficult at time. In a great effort to sink in his key point in the reader's mind, Gladwell indulges in a rather annoying fashion of repeating himself. I have read all his books and I have found David and Goliath to be its least powerful opus.

The book is structured as follows:
* Introduction
* 1 Vivek Ranadivé "It was really random. I mean, my father had never played basketball before."
* 2 Teresa DeBrito "My largest class was twenty-nine kids. Oh, it was fun."
* 3 Caroline Sacks "If I'd gone to the University of Maryland, I'd still be in science."
* 4 David Boies "You wouldn't wish dyslexia on your child. O would you? "
* 5 Emil "Jay" Freireich "How Jay did it, I don't know."
* 6 Wyatt Walker "Der rabbit is de slickest o' all de animals de lawd ever made"
* 7 Rosemary Lawlor "I wasn't born that way. This was forced upon me."
* 8 Wilma Derksend "We have all done something dreadful in our lives, or have felt the urge to."
* 9 André Trocmé "We feel obliged to tell you that there are among us a certain number of Jews."

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far?, 31 Oct 2013
Andrew Sercombe (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants (Kindle Edition)
I love Gladwell's books. Easy to read, yet satisfying too. This one feels deeper and gets my five star review. If you need courage or feel a lone voice in a big world, tuck yourself up with this for an evening or two and drink in the inspiring chapters. Read the end notes too. They are good! Just what I needed anyway.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 26 Sep 2014
good book but it is not the book I thought it was

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker from Gladwell, 30 Jun 2014
How does he do it? Another brilliant mix of stories, statistics, and challenges to my assumptions and beliefs. I see that my fellow reviewers are underwhelmed, but I always put Gladwell on my Christmas list and am never disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 12 Sep 2014
Very inspiring, Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Sep 2014
Excellent product and service

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Sep 2014
Great Read and good ideas!

3.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining essay ruined by being dragged out into a book, 13 July 2014
As with all of Gladwell's books, this is a reasonably good page turner as he knows all too well that anecdotal stories are entertaining. However the stories in this book are far far too drawn out and one wonders what is he trying the say or indeed achieve. At times I wondered if the headline of David vs Goliath had anything to do with what he was talking about.

There are some excellent thought provoking points such as is questioning if it is actually worth going to a top university. However overall it seems this was an essay that was dragged out into a book.

If you liked his previous books, I would still say it is worth a read as it will give you food for thought and another way of looking at things. Just not his best effort.

‹ Previous | 17 8 913 | Next ›