5.0 out of 5 stars Fire and brimstone
All Sigur Rós's music is a soundtrack to the Icelandic landscape. Their new album, Kveikur, does the volcanoes. The record opens with the thunderous bass line of Brennisteinn ('Brimstone'), a pyroclastic flow of a song: a percussive, aggressive statement of intent. The pace, intensity and sheer loudness of this opener is sustained throughout the album. It's a real...
Published 15 months ago by Jonathan Birch

3.0 out of 5 stars A misplaced hodge-podge? Or a pre-emptive greatest hits?
I have been greatly anticipating the latest release from "Iceland's greatest export since Bjork" (as they are often undermined as... and that's coming as a Bjork fan)! To that end, I should begin on a positive note: Kveikur certainly surpasses their last offering Valtari, but sadly fairs badly against their previous offerings.

As suggested in the title (of my...
Published 15 months ago by Owen.Daniel

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars industrial, 17 April 2014
Tim Weber (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kveikur (MP3 Download)
It's Sigur Ros, but not as you know it. Gone is the Icelandic ambience music of Valtari, and in is an urban, or maybe volcanic grittiness. Simply brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual Icelandic Music, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
I heard this on Radio 6 and thought it would be good to buy it.Consisitent tracks wuth unusual beats and vocals.Will look out for next album soon

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, just fantastic., 28 Jan 2014
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
I couldn't say I have ever been a huge Sigur Ros fan, but I am familiar with their more well known work such as Svefn-g-englar, Hoppipolla & Njosnavelin (listen to them if you're unfamiliar with them!!), so this album probably was a bit of a toe in the water for me. But I was absolutely blown away by all of it & I fell in love with the album straight away (not something I am prone to do) & there is so much which is so good, particularly Brennisteinn, Ísjaki & Kveikur, simple but great drum beats, some really strange sounds that really fit & it has all the quality of just letting you drift off.

So how good is it really from someone who was a not really a fan? Well, I bought all their other albums based on this one, I am so pleased to have found something so very unique from a band who have been around for years & I have become a fan. Just buy it, you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigur Rós - Kveikur - (96%), 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
Taken from my last fm journal - http://www.last.fm/user/XfnSnow/journal/2013/02/24/5rb9kz_2013_-_reviewsratings.

I waited and waited for the mood to take me. I needed something special to accompany listening to Kveikur. The hills began to roll under my feet, as my legs became rigid pendulums, carrying me through the thick hot air on our warmest day of the year.

The album sang as I knew it would and my aura began to ring with the same colour omitted by the rural tapestry that stretched out as far as my tearful eyes could reach. I felt free, effervescent, fluorescent, Omni-present.

The haunted industrial tones, pop like compression, a voice with such emotion merely baring witness is like being rained on while cocooned in an intensely vital sepulchre. Stormur made me cry in the first 30 seconds. I washed my face in a natural spring and my feet continued to pound on.

How Sigur Ros lost a key member, but delivered one of, if not the best album any of them have ever produced mystifies. I'm reminded of how terrifyingly consistent Takk was on first listen, they're injecting every bar with something unique and genuinely magical, alien and still to this day without comparison.

4.0 out of 5 stars good buy, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
cant understand the lyrics but just love the music and sound this group produces, and the voice range of Jonsi, nuff said!

4.0 out of 5 stars back to their roots, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
Sigur ros move back to a more atmospheric and at times darker theme like a re-imagining of their 1st album Von

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best since Agaetis Byrjun?, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
This is the album I've been waiting for them to do since Agaetis Byrjun. I've followed Sigur Ros ever since the spine-tingling moment in 2001 when I first heard the soaring guitar in that album's opener Svefn-g-englar. They followed that album with the slightly disappointing '()' but it was their breakthrough album Takk, when they diversified their sound, that they attracted more mainstream audiences. There have been many moments of brilliance on each album since then (last years abysmal ambient experiment Valtari the exception) but nothing to match Agaetis Byrjun or Takk. Until now. Kveikur is the closest they'll ever come to making, for want of a better word, a `rock' record. That term devalues the sophistication of this record, but they have avoided some of the recent orchestral excesses and produced an album of both power and beauty. The first track announces it's intent sounding like a metalworks growling. Despite its opening, this album is just as euphoric as previous records and is easily the liveliest they've done. A brilliant return to form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Kveikur [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I'm very happy about that! I wanna tell that i'ts always a pleasure to buy at amazon. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars they delivered again!!, 8 Aug 2013
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
i'll be very short. This is great album. I was worried when they lost a well loved member of the band, but they did deliver and the sound + songs is simply awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigur Ros try something different, 21 July 2013
This review is from: Kveikur (Audio CD)
I was quite surprised to see a new album so soon after VALTARI, but even more surprised to discover what a bold experiment the band have undertaken. Opener 'Brennisteinn' makes it patently clear that this isn't the Sigur Ros that made 'Valtari' or 'Takk'... Full of harsh, distorted electronics and off-kilter beats, Brennistein is almost industrial, and full of menace. It announces unmistakably that Kveikur is a radical departure, and the first Sigur Ros album that you can use to frighten children (OK, maybe VON).

Yet somehow it still sounds like Sigur Ros... Jonsi's vocals are unmistakable, and there is still that dedication to crafting sound into textures - it's just that the textures includes a lot more rusty nails and broken glass than before. As much as I love the band's earlier albums (well, except VON), they must have felt that they had taken their signature style of soft atmospherics swelling to epic crescendos as far as they could go. Valtari already played around with the formula, peaking only once - near the start - then gradually petering out over the rest of the album. Kveikur takes it in the opposite direction... the default mode is full on, and it only occasionally drops to a mellower mood, acting as a sort of reverse crescendo. It's effective.

Whilst I love KVEIKUR at least as much as any other Sigur Ros album, and I hope that it isn't a one-off experiment, I also hope that it's not the end of the band's production of epics like 'Ny Batteri'. I think there is room on a single album for both styles - it will be interesting to see what they do next. Hopefully, having taken the bold step of producing something so atypical, they will feel liberated to experiment even further... but hopefully not forget that signature style that nobody else does quite like Sigur Ros.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Pop CD, Sigur Ros - Kveikur[002kr]
Pop CD, Sigur Ros - Kveikur[002kr] by Sigur Rós (Audio CD)