5.0 out of 5 stars An very enjoyable read
Published 19 months ago by Kimbles

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely
curl up with a cuppa and enjoy ,experience London life during the first world war ,a great read,very enjoyable ,e
Published 17 months ago by Sarah Fullgrabe

5.0 out of 5 stars An very enjoyable read, 6 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Custard Tarts and Broken Hearts (The Factory Girls) (Kindle Edition)
I picked this book because of its title; the play on the name tarts and it was a great choice. Nellie works at a custard factory (I was smelling vanilla custard for days after) and along with the other women work extreme hours, are paid less than men and carry the guilt of not being there for their children. Ring any bells? Those women's struggles are still with us. This story has far reaching resonance- that anyone can identify with today. But Nellie is a remarkable character, just barely out of childhood herself, taking care of her brothers and sisters, her father too. She is vulnerable, complicated and yet has a steely inner strength. What she risks with the strike made me proud to know her, be in her world for a while. From the moment I met her, I was drawn in and couldn't put the book down. The author writes in a easy languid style like drifting down a smooth flowing and bending river that just takes you with it but don't be fooled, there are some heart stopping moments, crashing over waterfalls, that leave you breathless. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything that you expect from a good saga and a lot that you don't. A Wonderful Read!, 10 Dec. 2013
Now let me start by saying that I don't usually read the saga genre. But I picked this up on a personal and very enthusiastic recommendation and I have I was not disappointed. The writing itself is at an amazing standard, smooth and as rich as honey and cream. And unlike meny of its ilk, that admittedly that I olny skim read while waiting for trains over the years, in 'Custard Tarts' it is not only the characters and their personal struggles that are given emotional weight and detail. But the world they live in is a living and breathing thing. The author has clearly research but she treats it with a rare lightness of touch, so that most of the time the reader doesn't even notice it going into their heads, so skillfully deos MARY GIBSON weave her all elements together. If anyone has read this far go and get this book! After all at the kidle price what have you got to lose. It is pennys for sheer quality! I will definitely be keeping a chose eye one Mary Gibson in the future. And buying the hardback for more than a couple of the technophobes in my family when it comes out, I hope it is very soon. A*

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating page turner!, 8 Dec. 2013
The Author has set the seen of the factory women's struggle for equality in Bermondsey so well you feel as if you are fighting alongside them. The twists and turns of the friendship, love and family keep you gripped throughout. The Characters are engaging and soon feel like old friends. A real insight into London during the first world war, a great story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Custard Tarts and Broken Hearts, 6 Dec. 2013
I highly recommend this book, it is a good read and brings back memories as I was brought up in Bermondsey and know the area very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Bermondsey Story, 8 Dec. 2013
A great story set in the heart of Bermondsey. As I was born and bread in this area of London the Author literally transported me back in time and I was able to visualize Bermondsey how it was back in the early 1900's during WW1. It gives a true sense of how the people lived, worked and the successful story behind the Factory strikes during this era. With great characters and descriptive scene settings this is a must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Club 10/10, 9 Dec. 2013
A great debut novel. Well written with fabulous characters and a griping story. A real page turner. All ten members of my book club loved it and that is a very rare thing indeed!

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, 13 April 2014
An easy and enlightening read for those of use who weren't around at the turn of the 20th century. In the shadow of the coming 1st World War this novel depicts life as it was then when conditions were hard, pay terrible and working hours long. The experiences of her Grandmother and Great Aunt who both worked at the Pearce Duff factory have been used by the Author very effectively.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 11 Dec. 2013
A great read delivered to my kindle. I would recommend this author to anyone who likes a spellbinding book. Great

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous!, 5 May 2015
A couple of weeks ago I took the decision to deviate from my usually preferred genre of Crime Thriller and aim for something more resonant, more rewarding. I am so glad I did!

I am in awe of Mary Gibson. She is the consummate wordsmith and complete master of the English language. Add to that her ability to produce a story that is so evocative of the era and which flows silkily smooth throughout, and you have a masterpiece, Her story of life in South London in the early 1900's is undoubtedly true of all the large cities at that time. Her characters are engaging, their struggles are heartbreaking and her storytelling makes you live through it all with them. Wonderful stuff!

Personally, I think her agent should approach the BBC about the possibility of making one of their wonderful series around this book. It has far more going for it than anything that Catherine Cookson has had produced.

Read this book and see whether you agree.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... my first Mary Gibson novel and oh how I loved it. Although this was Bermondsey way before even ..., 13 Mar. 2015
Janet Stuckey "oneillfan" (Gloucestershire UK) - See all my reviews
This was my first Mary Gibson novel and oh how I loved it. Although this was Bermondsey way before even my mother's time, I knew a lot of the places because this was where I grew up. Even in the 50's when I was leaving school and going to work, Bermondsey was looked upon as a slum area, because the yuppies hadn't moved in then. People didn't have a lot of money even in that time, but families stuck together and there was a lot of love. I remember all the streets that Mary names in her book, my mum did her shopping 'down the blue' my uncle had a butcher's shop there and also one in Spa Road. There was a beautiful library in Spa Road too, and I spent many a happy hour in the children's section which was at the top of a magnificent staircase.
Thank you Mary for the happy memories and I am looking forward now to reading novel #3.