5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
A fab easy read from beginning to end & actually quite believable! So true about the state of the country.... but such a laugh! Thank you from a proud Clitheronean
Published 3 months ago by P Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars A new PM the Clitheroe way.
A lighthearted jab at local politics especially as I had a certain sympathy towards the points being raised though I did find the style slightly awkward.at times. As I know Clitheroe well it was amusing to recognise the places mentioned.
Published 5 months ago by joan Roberts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A new PM the Clitheroe way., 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Clitheroe Prime Minister: Imagine Britain with a working class welder as PM (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Jun 2014
P Smith (England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 29 Dec 2013
This was the first book I downloaded to my kindle I got for Xmas , and its a cracker!!!! I have literally not stopped reading this all Xmas.
Well Done Suttie

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read ..., 31 Mar 2014
Not finished it yet, but thus far a great read - witty, amusing, heart-felt and as I live in the area the book is set, nostalgic and simple to reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Clitheroe Prime Minister, 1 July 2013
Fantastic story, author is clever in the way he uses the power of social networking to promote the voice of the people. A fashionable read using material which is current. Intelligent wit galore, believable and it has brilliant characters.
Definately a recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A smile a page and a few lols too, 20 April 2014
Heartwarming tale, nicely written, would make a very entertaining film.
An easy read full of humour, left me with a rosie glow.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... you come from Clitheroe (like I do) then a good local connection to keep it "real", 18 July 2014
A. M. Robinson "MUMAN" (Italy) - See all my reviews
A bit of an imagination stretch but if you come from Clitheroe (like I do) then a good local connection to keep it "real".

1.0 out of 5 stars No real story, just an insular world view, 2 Aug 2014
I found this book very disappointing. It's quite funny to start with, and I thought it would be a fun, light-hearted story line, but the author soon starts to take himself far too seriously.

An entire nation apparently loses its mind and suddenly finds the ravings of a typical "pub bore" character to be irresistible. No debate, no dissent. It soon begins to feel like Suttie is using the book as a vehicle to vent his own frustration at the government and at society, with only a faint semblance of a story at all. Why do we have to pay tax? Why do we have to have foreigners here? Why don't the posh people all just get lost? Why isn't everyone the same as me? It's quite a childish, narrow-minded view of the world and becomes tiresome when you realise this is all the book has to offer. The author seems to believe that most of the population of the country comprises a sort of homogenous "ordinary, working people" who all have identical views and an identical outlook of life. This is frankly untrue and makes the author look naive and insular. Some of the previous reviewers have pointed this out but have nevertheless given the book a good rating: I can only imagine they share the opinions of the central character and so delight in the "echo chamber" effect (Google it). It wouldn't be so bad if the world view that's given was at least coherent, but it isn't; it's full of contradiction. For example, the author keeps saying that Jim's views are controversial, yet everybody agrees with him. So which is it?

I cannot finish this review without pointing out how badly written this book is. It has many spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, giving the impression it was left at a draft stage. The written style is also rather poor and clumsy.

Some people obviously enjoyed this book, but I've included this review as I think people ought to realise it's not for everyone and you should not be taken in by all the enthusiasm of earlier reviews; in fact I do suspect that many of them have been written by friends of the author. If you do read this book and enjoy it, please broaden your horizons.

2.0 out of 5 stars Try again, 28 Mar 2014
I bought this wanting to try out some of the numerous indie authors and thought it might be amusing. However, the extreme right-wing politics (death penalty, removal of social security benefits, more law and order, more prison) eventually had me curling my toes. I wanted to like it more, but failed. I wish the author a more humane insight for his next book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really did not enjoy this book, 28 May 2014
I bought this book as I was born and bred in the area and it had decent reviews on Amazon.
This was a mistake!! I absolutely hated the book. I am prepared to suspend belief when needed but the premise that the whole country would want this frankly annoying, sexist pub philosopher to lead the country is taking it too far! I honestly couldnt believe what I was reading at times! Utterly depressing that people think he is down to earth!

Parts of it gave the impression he wanted to publicise a shop or a pub in Clitheroe and then he wrote the scenes accordingly.
Book also littered with errors of grammar, punctuation and spelling. (e.g. site instead of sight!)
These are hours of my life i will never get back.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›