TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 February 2014
I had not come across this particular cast of Phillipa Gregory characters before, but will definitely read the full series now. Luca, Isolde, Frieze and Ishtaq are an engaging foursome, on a mission for a clandestine organisation to the medieval Venetian Republic which is busily indulging itself in an orgy of speculation on gold coins, which may or may not be all that they seem. Let's just say that every bubble has to burst!

There are a couple of interesting sub plots (the enslavement of Luca's parents for one), which keep the action rattling along: Venice, as always, does not disappoint as a location in which complex and dramatic situations evolve and I really enjoyed the whole book. It is character driven, and that extends beyond the key protagonists, so that the tale as it spins out is well rounded, and cohesive. It can be read as a stand alone, but the main characters are so engaging, that you do want to read more about them, the secretive Order of Darkness for whom they work, their back stories, and future adventures.

Definitely a good read.
on 22 August 2014
This book is a work of art by Gregory- it has everything! Romance, excitement, mystery, magic, betrayal...
My favourite character is Isolde, a heiress cruelly deceived by her own brother, and a close friend to Ishraq, but as you may find out, Ishraq may waver on being such a good friend to Isolde...
My only complaint of this fantastic book is that the love triangle has been executed rather... strangely. I have yet to make sense of it and I am not usually one to be confused by these things. Nonetheless, I look forward to the next book... Bring it on !!
on 5 June 2014
I love Philippa Gregory's books but I'm not a big fan of the Order of Darkness series. I had been having trouble really investing in the characters. This book is probably the best of this series though. You get a lot more character insight here and you see different sides to them as them embark on a new mission. The mission itself (seeking out fake gold coins in Venice) appears to be a slightly odd turn, or detour, from the main story, but I am intrigued the continue with the series to see what happens,
on 27 February 2014
This book is good as all of Philippa's books are. But it's not as good as the rest.. still a very good read. Just not as captivating, maybe my expectations are quite high as previously books have been superb!
on 9 April 2014
I have read all Philippa's historical novels and loved them. It awakened an interest in the Tudor period that I didn't know was there. Even when I knew the ending (Ann Boleyn's beheading) I still found myself getting anxious about the outcome.
Not so with this book. I found Fool's Gold hard going, and not at all a page turner.
I kept with it though in the hope it would get better or have a good twist to the story. I am afraid I couldn't get interested in the characters or even the storyline.
Usually I hate getting to the end of a good book, but in this case I was glad to finish it.
on 21 May 2014
Can't wait for the next book, really enjoyed reading this book. Love phillipa gregory,s books always captivating and interesting kept me hooked all the way through.
on 14 May 2014
I had read the first book of the series, called The Changeling, this was the continuation. It is the story of a gifted young man in the Middle ages, who is working for a monk who is trying to solve the mysteries of religion etc. The monk is a dark and malevolent character who plots.
I enjoyed reading it, though it was just a fraction of the whole plot which has not been written yet.
I am not thinking of recommending it to anyone. For children it would interfere with the religion which is taught at home and at school, for adults, it would have to be someone just like me.
on 27 February 2014
I was a little disappointed with this work as I have come to anticipate unputdownable books from this author. Sadly it did not provide the same impetus to read it as her previous works
on 12 July 2014
Very very slow read. Characters did not draw me in in any way and where is the plot. Kept trying to get interested but just did hold my interest. A waste of 3 pounds. Very very disappointing from Phillips Gregory who I usually love
on 16 January 2015
what a disappointment! I have read the cousins' war series and enjoyed them, i only got this as it mentioned The White Princess on the cover and thought it would be of the same quality. However not only is it number 3 of a series but it is also teen fiction which makes for rather simplistic plot and prose. I wish publishers would put what number of a series it is (i.e. 3 of 3) and put if it is teen fiction on the cover. The cover of my book, or the first few pages, gives no indication of this. If i had known it was teen fiction (especially number 3) then i would not have bothered buying the book. So another book for recycling/charity shop.