5.0 out of 5 stars 'Good morning, neighbour.'
Published 12 months ago by A Wilkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing
I did n't expect much from this book but I have to say I couldn't put it down. I had to know what happened to Chris and Michael. It was disturbing to think that people could be quite so violent but unfortunately, there are some as crazy as Dean in the world we live in today. If you're looking for a short read, I would recommend Crash by Michael Robertson.
Published 8 months ago by miss l arthur

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Good morning, neighbour.', 6 July 2013
This review is from: Crash (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
I generally like to think that society prevails because we are inherently good and that deep down we wish to live as harmoniously as humanly possible. But perhaps we are just safe, safe from our own human nature and it is the status quo that provides that safety. Crash tells us that we are on the brink. That human nature is an unstable force which must be contained by the status quo.

If the structures that we hold so dear were to fall apart, what faith would we then have in the people around us? Our whole lives are governed by a kind of unchallenged civility. It is functional. Would the casual 'Good morning' we say to our neighbour each day hold any meaning when faced with a murderous sociopath wielding a gun. Perhaps the truth of this behaviour is just as apathetic and brutal as the world of survival in Crash.

Fear or compassion, which is it that motivates you? Crash forces us to look inwardly with discomfort when faced with the depraved potential of our basic desire to survive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Review of Crash by Michael Robertson, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: Crash (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in one sitting. It was truly relentless.

Once you start, you really won't be able to stop. I genuinely felt anxious for the characters and I had to keep going because their plight seemed so real and plausible that I simply had to know how each new chapter was going to unfold as soon as possible.

Yes, there is graphic violence in this book but it is superbly described and executed to flawless perfection. I felt like I was literally in a horror movie and forced to sit alongside the protagonists, as they contemplate how despicable the antagonists are and how bleak their situation is, yet they still keep fighting and never giving up hope, despite the chaos of the world unfolding around them.

The dynamic between the Father and son really made me feel empathy for Chris and I also love how his son is called Michael too.

To witness how the world changes Chris and how he interacts with his son, you kind of watch it in bemused terror as each new development unfolds. This story was told with panache - each revelation of back story provides temporary relief before the next layer of tension kicks in resulting in a wonderfully paced read.

There are comedic elements in this story, which lighten its harrowing tone, bigoted sentiments of Chris's boss and Chris's wife also seemed perfectly realised and seemed both hauntingly familiar yet starkly original.

Michael reminds me of Charlie Higson, as he writes fresh metaphors and deftly handles both the explosive impact of the violence, whilst punctuating it all with humorous moments of brevity.

Michael deserves a ton of attention for this debut and I simply cannot wait for the next one, I am sure that you will feel the same - highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a shocker, 2 Sep 2013
This review is from: Crash (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
This book was more than a bit unnerving for me, reasons being

1. Set in England and in an affluent area, so close to home.
2. I am that fat, 16st fifty something in a suit
3. I work for a bank , though to be fair my job is generic and I don't see money or customers and I'm not rich
4. We are only 48h from complete anarchy, the riots in the major cities like Manchester, Bristol & London a couple of years ago are an example of the police being overwhelmed by rioters from the "less fortunate than ourselves" community
5. The crisis with PIGS is not going away and will have far reaching consequences .

Next instalment please. Would have 5 stars if it was a much longer book, completed in just short of 2h

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Crash (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. I found myself gripped and really felt for the lead characters throughout. The author has put a lot of effort into the characters and very quickly and thoroughly allows the reader to understand them.

I polished this off in a couple of hours as I could not put it down. Looking forward to the next one...

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Crash (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
How refreshing to see an author who doesn't make the endings all happy clouds & people hugging trees. This is a far more brutal & realistic portrayal of how events would more than probably play out.
I always think about a discussion at work one day when people were saying crap about "even if I were starving, I wouldn't eat certain things." What utter dross! they'd eat it & be happy they had got something. I applaud Mr Robertson for daring to show the cruelty that humanity can stoop to. There is plenty of evidence, its called history! I thought it was a brilliant idea to keep the story set in geographically small area. That set the scene of tension & the lack of escape beautifully. Just about to download the second installment. Keep up the reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: Crash (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
not my usual type of book,but am glad I tried it excellent read,well written and thought out very good author

5.0 out of 5 stars I won't be able to sleep, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Crash (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
It's a story so terrifying that I found it hard to believe the implications involved. It made me think deeply about the possible consequences of a total economical breakdown and a war between the dispossessed and the hitherto wealthy population. When the London riots erupted in 2011, I couldn't believe my eyes while watching the news, the loitering and the senseless destruction as an unreasonable act of vengeance. The author is very clear and awfully graphic while narrating the results of greed and the increasing welfare gap after a recession that still hits. Let's hope the situation described is being kept as a work of fiction as it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read,brought would may still happen home., 28 May 2014
This review is from: Crash (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
i loved this book, and it is not for the faint hearted. It does raise an important question what would happen if soceity broke down>. The Greece effect could have gone the otherway in reality, the only gripe i had was it was a bit short but that is just me moaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intense., 12 May 2014
This review is from: Crash (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
I've always been a fan of post apocalyptic fiction and this book has definitely made me want to read more of Michael's work. The difference between this book and the majority of other post apocalyptic fiction is that this explores the reality behind what could happen if the banks and government did crash. I loved the intense and raw emotion Michael portrays, I was really hooked and just as Chris couldn't watch Charlie get harmed, I felt myself not wanting to read the harm of the dog, mimicking the characters' emotions, but I kept reading because the magic behind this book is that it keeps you hooked. Definitely worth reading. Thank you to the author for sharing such a real story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Crash (Book One) (Kindle Edition)
This story is intense, realistic & dam right horrifying It's given me nightmares, yet I can't wait to read book two. This could actually happen & that's what's frightening.

Crash (Book One)