5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Just wow.
I was expecting this to be a great, useful business book (Kogan Page are a fab publisher and their books are usually fantastic). What I wasn't expecting was for it to completely blow my socks off!!

Published 16 months ago by Eli

2.0 out of 5 stars Too shallow
Easy to read, but not detailed enough. Has some good points but will generally leave you without real insight into pricing
Published 7 months ago by Louise Klitgaard Møller Korsgaard

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Just wow., 10 July 2013

I have to admit, I am not a particularly numerate person and I have struggled with the financial aspects of running a business for many years. This wonderful book has changed all of that. Not only do I now have a clear view of how pricing fits in to my sales and marketing activity so I understand where I've been going wrong; I also now have a simple, step-by-step plan of action for putting it all right! I have never been so excited about sorting out my financials.

What the author does so beautifully is explain everything in clear, simple, jargon-free language, without being at all condescending. I came away feeling like the pricing penny had finally dropped and super inspired to make the necessary changes in my business.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough to anyone who is self-employed or runs any sort of company. It's brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must buy" for all business owners, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Pricing for Profit: How to Develop a Powerful Pricing Strategy for Your Business (Kindle Edition)
I work with firms of accountants across the UK helping them to comply with regulations, improve their efficiency and increase profitability. I was delighted when Peter asked me to write a forward for his new book. This is what I wrote:
'There are many ways to improve the profitability of your business but reviewing your pricing has the greatest and fastest impact. And yet most business owners and their advisers ignore it, assuming that in a competitive environment there's little they can do about it. Nothing could be further from the truth. If profit improvement is your goal then this book is the best guide I have come across. Peter Hill has more experience in the field of pricing than anyone else I have come across. In "Pricing for Profit" he presents his findings from many years of helping clients improve their profits. His book is not full of business jargon. Instead, he explains pricing in clear English that is accessible to everyone. This is a "must buy" for all business owners, accountants and business advisors.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Make your business earn more money!, 12 Oct 2013
This is an easy to pick up book that gets right down to how you can improve your bottom line from the first page. It's been thoughtfully written to not bog the reader down and has some great advice and ideas on how to get more out of your business. I think the author succesfully shows you why we constantly in business, try to go for easy wins over a more tactical approach and how it can be so damaging to your profit margin. I like the way its written with lots of short case studies, action points and references to web pages/downloadable templates. It doesnt really matter whether you are a plumber, retailer or B2B supplier or whatever this book is well worth its cover price and more importantly the 3-4 hours you will invest in reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars profitable advice, 2 Oct 2013
This book offers straightforward good advice presented in a clear easy to understand manner
The author uses case studies which he has been directly involved in to make his points and as such this is a useful tool in the product pricing element of any business.
It flows well and is an easy read.
I have already used many of the suggested methods to great effect.
Thoroughly worth reading and retaining as a reference document.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pricing for Profit - Light Bulb Moment!, 21 Aug 2013
Peter Hill's new book is inspiring and a great read. It certainly was a light bulb moment for me and a very sound investment as far as I am concerned. As I leafed through the pages, I felt like Homer Simpson, when he realises that he has left his keys in the door overnight!

Written in simple English, Peter Hill delivers his message in a clear and concise way that makes you think about the fundamentals of pricing, and more importantly its impact on the bottom line and ultimately the profitability of your business.

The book has challenged me and caused me to question my own pricing strategy within my business. More importantly it has shifted some of my focus away from my competitors. Peter's view is that we need to "tip the value scales" and understand your own pricing strategy as well as your competitors! For far too long, I have been worried about the competition and what they are charging. Sound familiar?

We think we know about pricing, but do you or your staff realise the impact discounting has? I never considered this before! Have you?

There is some sound advice in this book and for me it's a good read and great value. Well done Peter Hill.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every serious business-person, 8 Aug 2013
I have just finished reviewing this book for the Professional Services Marketing Association Magazine (PM Forum). Speaking as a numerically illiterate marketing person I hadn't expected to get a lot of joy out of this book... but how wrong could I be?

The first thing that strikes you is the warm, friendly tone of voice... this man is an accountant that actually speaks in plain English! But it's not just that... although his opinions are strong they are backed up with experience and examples, rather than waffly academic theories and models. He doesn't just tell you what to do but takes the time to explain why... so that, at every stage, you're nodding away, genuinely understanding how this is relevant to your business.

As one would expect, each chapter ends with handy action points and QR codes, linking to downloads from his website. Key points are hammered home with pull-out boxes, exclaiming `ouch' in the same way that Homer Simpson goes `doh' at the point of realisation that something has gone wrong. And, crucially, the book itself ends with a whole chapter dedicated to `42 action points' you really have zero excuse for not working your way through, right away. This book may be about pricing but it is far from being about navel-gazing and theory. It is utterly and completely grounded in relevant common sense and action.

If you're sitting on the fence... get off it... how wrong you would be to pass this book by. It might just be the one read this year that makes an impact on your business's bottom line. I urge you to read it. Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than The Apprentice!, 11 July 2013
If you are a business owner or just interested in business then this should be number one your read list!
It's set up in a simple and easy to access way.
If you have a particular pricing issue you can go straight to the relevant chapter and make an immediate impact, or just start at the beginning - there aren't any dull bits to wade through - each chapter is concise and gives value. My personal favourite is Chapter 8 : Exploding all the myths about pricing.

Use the book in conjunction with the free iPad app and other downloadable resources available and you can take your understanding of your business to another level.

I was fortunate to hear Peter Hill speak at a recent business seminar and buy a pre-launch copy of his book. - If you ever get the chance to attend one of his seminars I recommend it: high energy and great content.

I'm a Senior Manager in a Bank working with businesses from small start-up to very large and I believe no matter how well you think you know your business, you will get some value out of this book.

Better than The Apprentice? Well maybe - if you are just interested in business and have seen the latest T.V. series, you can put the failure of most of the tasks down to the candidates not having read Peter's book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too shallow, 5 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book that simplifies the importance of pricing strategies, 26 Mar 2014
T. B. Verner - See all my reviews
This is the 2nd time I have read this book. I would strongly urge any business owner, senior manager or business consultant to read this book at it simplifies how and why you need to be 100% with your pricing as it effects your bottom line if you don't.

I have been implementing a few of these strategies into clients with great success.

Great reading :-)

Tom

5.0 out of 5 stars Constant vigilance, 26 July 2013
It may seem unusual and perhaps even a little rude for an author to rate his own book so publicly (I could have used a false name and hotmail address) but I wanted to share something I think is important. I downloaded my book on kindle as I was curious to see how it would look and whether it is a different reading experience to the physical book. As I scanned the book and started to re-read bits, I was prompted by my own words to think "actually we haven't done that for some time" or "that is a good idea, maybe it's time for us to push that to the next level for our business". The point being, that even with my experience and skills in this area, it is easy to drift off course and leave value on the table. So if I can still be nudged on the topic, or apply an idea differently because I am working with a new client on a project, I am sure you can get some great value if you are attacking the issue for the first time. Enjoy