5.0 out of 5 stars A dramatic musical venture into the second DT cd with drummer MM
Musically brilliant, fabulous riffs and melodies all delivered with power and drama in a musically theatrical style with each member of the band pushing the boundaries of their formidable talents..... my only gripe would be that it doesn't go over 70mins. I'm sure there was room for one more song, but maybe I am just too greedy for more.
I love it though, as I have...
Published 7 months ago by Tomm Brooker

3.0 out of 5 stars Masterful playing but missing a soul!
I have been a fan of this band for 15 years and have seen them play four times. They never fail to stun me with their musical prowess and efficiency and some of the most spine tingling moments I have experienced with music have come from listening to Dream Theater.

When I received the CD through the door, I felt the excitement of what I was about to discover...
Published 9 months ago by T. Goldsmith

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream Theater Play Dream Theater Shock!, 26 Sep 2013
Ianham "Ianham" (Ross-shire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
Nice to see the usual glut of "It's not as good as the last one" reviews. I particularly like the "They were better when nobody liked them...." Always guaranteed for a good laugh. The fact is this is another belter from the band.

Everyone sounds great, the songs are rock solid. Certainly it is more melodic than riff based...no bad thing for my ears. I never understand why a Progressive Metal band is castigated for any change they choose to make. Musicians should be doing what they damn well please. Give the audience what they need , not what they want. As far as I am concerned if DT want to make an album of Western Swing then fine. If it doesn't "swing" my boat then I will wave them a fond farewell but not carp about it. Happily any thoughts of DT turning to Bob Wills seem remote, so I guess I'll be sticking around. (Actually I quite like Take Me Back To Tulsa....). To all of you who are wavering, buy the album and make up your own mind. It rocks.

I commend this CD to the House.

3.0 out of 5 stars Possible problem with bonus dvd, 23 Sep 2013
John Stout (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Folks

I opted to listen to the accompanying dvd first, to get a taste of the album in 5.1.

Unfortunately, there is no menu on the disc - just a black screen. The dvd does play the album, but you can't choose which track to play. All you can do is listen in sequence and watch a screen where there was presumably meant to be a menu or image.

I tried this on two different players, but same result.

Anyone else having this problem?

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome music, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
I was not expecting anything new sensu stricte from DT guys. The years of new experiments are over with Octavarium that in my opinion should have been entitled a 'Dream Theater' rather than present release.
Taking this into consideration I must say that the music is truly awesome here! And I am not disappointed at all. Fresh, crispy, powerful, melodic, progy. As for me much more reminding all good times than any of last 4 albums. Much recommended! The last piece: 'ilumination theory' is just mind blowing...

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm..., 23 Sep 2013
Amazon Customer (Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
Before I start, You cant question the musicianship of this band. they are at the top of their game again here.

I have a fairly recent love of Dream Theater. I dislike immensly anything pre Scenes from a Memory (The classics that most people love) and an on and off relationship with those since. Loved Six Degrees, Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and I thought that A dramatic Turn of Events was one of their best. I dislike Train of Thought and Black Clouds and Silver Linings...

Such as my DT taste is, long term fans may want to disregard my opinion here as the early DT, Images & Words, etc makes me cringe.

To an extent... so does this album.

It may well hark back to earlier DT... theres a lot of later DT there too.. it just feels immature, over dramatic and in some places really badly finished off (Whats with the end of through the looking Glass? A poor track but how badly curtailed is that!). There is an attempt to be too 'Movie Theme' in places (I blame the wonderful Jordan Rudess for that) Particularly the opener. Its not unusual for DT to adopt that approach but it often stops just the right side of being cheesy. This time it does not, and you are left feeling as embarrassed as if you were listening to an Arena album.

The second track 'Enemy Inside' was the first track that many of us heard and when I did hear it outside of the album I thought it was a weak track... same old same old. Having heard the album several times I have to say it feels like one of the stronger tracks now.

From here on through to the last track.... its all the same... little new, a selection of songs that may remind you of previous efforts.. but diluted, weakened by their relationship to each other. DT's first instrumental 'Enigma Machine' is interesting but seems to bear the eccentric almost victorian, wackiness that has been smattered across Scenes from a Memory (rather more successfully) and Octavarium and Systematic Chaos... and incidentally the opener, the boldly titled 'False Awakening Suite' which feels forced and overblown)

The epic 'Illumination theory' has nice 'bits' to it.... but thats it... It's bits connected together. Badly in most places. The drumming is over fussy at times across the album too, over showy, gaudy, something not evidenced on 'A Dramatic Turn of Events'or any Portnoy DT albums.

All in all however, its a brilliantly played album, and if you can set aside some of the cringeworthy lyrics (Particularly lazy this time around, though delivered well vocally), and you dont mind an album full of bits you've heard before in some other variant then this is for you. If you like earlier DT then this may be for you too. Give it a go... theres a lot worse to spend your cash on.

Three stars for the musicianship and because on form this is one hell of a band...

But this ones not for me... It will sit with Train of Thought and Black clouds gathering dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic grower, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
I initially posted a bad review because I did not catch this album at first. However I gave it a few more spins and it started to grow, grow, grow. Now I listen to it all the time and cannot find anything wrong with it, I even rank it among their best stuff in the recent years. The last track is a marvel of pure DT, culminating with a Petrucci grand finale that gives me the goos^bumps everytime. THere is even a short hidden track 2min 30 before the end.
Must have for all DT fans, but let it grow before you say it is c*** like I initially did.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
Ordered for my husband. He says its the best CD ever, and cant stop playing it in his car (probably at full blast). In his words "Awesome". Arrived very quickly. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHOA! ..., 29 Sep 2013
Short and sweet ... firstly, VERY disappointed with Amazon's
pre-order delivery time which was LATE; nevertheless, listened
to the album for the first time (and several times!) this evening,
and it is worth purchasing for the epic/majestic/killer 'Illumination
Theory' alone - James just SLAYS! DTXII - testimony to the fact
that Dream Theater is STILL, by FAR, the BEST band on the planet!

Thank you DT!

\m/

4.0 out of 5 stars Improvement on A.D.T.O.E., 4 Oct 2013
Mrs. F. C. Williams (South West UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Theater (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
Husband and I were very excited to see a new D.T. album in the offing and when it arrived put it straight on the hi-fi for a listen.

I judge new music by how it grabs me on the first run through. If I find my mind wandering then I feel it's not totally "Awesome". When I get "Goose bumps" its my receptor that says something is Awesome and Amazing.

I had one or two mind wanderings and two cases of goose bumps on the first listen.

After six or seven listens from beginning to end, I really like it. Fav tracks are Behind the Veil, and Bigger Picture.

As usual there are some shades of Rush and even some BeBop Deluxe breaking in. I found myself wondering why Rush arn't turning out more stuff like this then realising that Rush are now a spent force. I love the soft melodies in Bigger Picture and the meaningful lyrics of all tracks. I love a song to paint a picture in my head while I am listening. This to me is the true meaning of any song and the DT songs are telling me stories as well as being truly progressive rock.

The album compares well with earlier ones; I had a listen to A Change of Seasons to make a comparison. It still gives me that goose bump feeling. I never tire of any DT album and I think this one will be high on the playlist for the foreseeable future. Tickets all booked for the 13th February 2014 at Manchester. Something to look forward to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream Theater at their best, 26 Sep 2013
I Haigh - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
I was introduced to DT from a fairly young age and didn't think much of them at first. However, with each new listen at home or in the car, I slowly became more and more entranced by the music I was hearing. The first time I saw them live (at the Manchester Apollo on the Six Degrees Tour), I was blown away.

I quickly became familiar with everything that had come before (not including When Dream And Day Unite, which isn't great). Scenes became a fast and very firm favourite. It's just one of those albums I can listen to whatever mood I'm in and enjoy it immensely every time. Six Degrees caught me in a similar way. Then it went downhill. Train of Thought was good, but not great, then I liked each album afterwards less than the preceding one, all the way to A Dramatic Turn of Events, which is where it turned around.

ADToE was very good, better than ToT, but not as good as Images or Awake, and nowhere near the lofty territory of Scenes and Six Degrees. Then I got my first listen of the Enemy Within. I was a little underwhelmed, but not surprised. Soon, however, the song had grown on me and anticipation for Dream Theater, the album, grew. Then came Along for the Ride. I thought it was fantastic from the first note to the last!

At last, it was time for the album which I was now very much looking forward to and it did not disappoint!

Dream Theater is absolutely fantastic. There's not much more I can say, other than that I think it may even rival Six Degrees (if the title track and whole second CD of that album didn't exist anyway). Mangini has a lot to bring to the band, it appears.

Simply put, I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars THANK GOD PORTNOY IS GONE!!!!, 23 Sep 2013
Nicholas Green (London, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
The twelfth studio album by progressive metal band Dream Theater, their fourth on Roadrunner Records, comes at a time when the band find themselves in a really good position. With the induction of drummer Mike Mangini now fully involved in the writing process wheres A Dramatic Turn of Events was recorded after the music had been finalized. Also, with the upcoming release of Live at Luna Park (recorded at the end of their A Dramatic Turn of Events tour) this could be a few exciting months for Dream Theater as they embark on another chapter in their careers.

It's fair to say that, on the outside, the cover artwork looks fairly simple - no boy walking a tightrope this time around, no dark and subtle imagery that we saw on Black Clouds & Silver Linings; no it's just the fairly recognizable Dream Theater logo in the foreground, with the earth in the background. The artwork is another selling point for any band and it adds something more to the album: it can represent the album's topics in a heartbeat (Slayer's Reigning Blood is one that comes to mind) and it can also sell a budding music buyer the album in a heartbeat also (I am guilty of this).

But anyway, let's talk about the music. The disc spans a total of 68 minutes in total length. The track lengths themselves are nothing too `progressive' whilst there are some seven-minute tracks in there, whilst the last track "Illumination Theory" spans a total of 22:18. When was the last time there was a single twenty-minute song for Dream Theater? Oh yes, Octavarium's closing title-tack which was a total of 24:00 minutes in length. Dream Theater begins with the opening track "False Awakening Suite" which will also, I presume, be the tape they play on the upcoming tour as the band come on stage. It's approximately 2:42 in length. It's very much dramatic in the way it has lots of choir vocals and strings thrown in there (no doubt by the keyboard wizard Jordan Rudess) to give it that extra oomph, whilst Mike Mangini once again demonstrates why, in the end, he is the right choice to be the drummer for Dream Theater.

Whilst A Dramatic Turn of Events saw a well-rounded mix between Petrucci and Myung, especially where I could hear the bass throughout most of the album, however I feel that there is an extra emphasis on the guitars throughout this album so far. The weakest area of A Dramatic Turn of Events was the drums overall, but neither the band or Mangini are to blame for this. That's not to say that I feel that the new album is underwhelming (it isn't!), although it's only been two years since their last album was released, but I feel that - as a fan - they've come on leaps and bounds just in that short amount of time; it's fair to add that everyone has heard "The Enemy Within" by now and I think it's one of the more song-writing-by-numbers tunes when you look at Dream Theater's standards, and I would go far as to say that it's one of the weaker songs on the album. But this is just personal taste, to be honest.

When you get to "Enigma Machine", after listening to "The Looking Glass" which is one of the softer numbers on the album, it's a six-minute instrumental which allows you - the listener -- to really listen to how well Dream Theater's musicians, save for James, lock in together on this song. Not a single note is ever wasted on a Dream Theater album and "Enigma Machine" definitely sticks out to me more at this point in time. As the album plods along, unfortunately, until its end I can feel the music building up to big and epic. The music is very borderline if you're wondering whether Dream Theater go full-on prog or whether they keep their metal elements within the music. This is clearly present on the next track "The Bigger Picture with its dramatic opening with Petrucci's guitar very prominent here. Even though the song is clearly a a ballad of sorts, Petrucci's sudden intrusion of his distorted guitar jerks you into attention, and he weaves in and out of the song each time with just the right amount of playing - nothing too over-the-top and also nothing too minimal.

With a little bit of groove thrown into "Behind the Veil" which makes one of the heavier songs on the album (if not the heaviest), the next two songs - "Surrender to Reason" and "Along for the Ride" - the latter heavily lenient on Dream Theater's softer tones and a well-balanced change to acoustic guitar from Petrucci (which was also the second song to be released to the masses) and also is the shortest song on the album, also the former follows the same pattern with a heavy use of acoustic guitar. These two songs help to set up for the epic multi-dimensional finale "Illumination Theory" and it's hard to put a twenty-song into words without making a few more paragraphs from it, but all I'll say is that I've waited a long time for this and it feels almost...blissful. I hope all Dream Theater fans agree with me when I say that I'm glad Portnoy left the band when he did. The album ends with soft piano lines from Rudess and I'm left with that familiar fuzzy feeling inside...

Overall, Dream Theater, at first, felt like a disappointing album considering how much I loved A Dramatic Turn of Events which I felt like that album was a venture into Dream Theater's progressive side and drew influences from bands such as Pink Floyd and this album did feel flat at first. Now with their self-titled album fully listened to and explored, I feel that this album returns to their conventional style of songwriting, however I don't feel that this album will exactly blow me away as it's more of an exhibition of technical ability than actually being "progressive". All the same I can't help feel this album tug at my heart strings as I am pulled in all directions. Definitely a must buy album.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

Dream Theater (Special Edition)
Dream Theater (Special Edition) by Dream Theater (Audio CD - 2013)