5.0 out of 5 stars A dramatic musical venture into the second DT cd with drummer MM
Musically brilliant, fabulous riffs and melodies all delivered with power and drama in a musically theatrical style with each member of the band pushing the boundaries of their formidable talents..... my only gripe would be that it doesn't go over 70mins. I'm sure there was room for one more song, but maybe I am just too greedy for more.
I love it though, as I have...
Published 14 months ago by Tomm Brooker

3.0 out of 5 stars A good album music wise, not so great from a Dream Theater perspective
If it wasn't for Illumination Theory - which is without a doubt one of the best songs they have released in the recent years I'm sure in a few years time I wouldn't remember anything from this album. Even Octavarium seems a great album as compared to the recent works. I know some people love this change, I don't. I miss the old times like images and words or six degrees -...
Published 3 days ago by Liliana Costa

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on track, 19 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
This is one of the best DT albums in this century. If not the best. Great songs and great playing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the beginning, 19 Oct. 2013
James (North East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Theater (Special Edition) (Audio CD)
with a new band member finally coming into his own on this album of all new songs. This band is more settled on this album and it shows. If you've never heard Dream Theatre before this should encourage you to listen to more.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing album, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
Truly an amazing album. Would recommend for everyone who loves progressive music and even those who like very melodic tunes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grows and grows, 14 Oct. 2013
P. Salmon (St Helens England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
You know a good album when you feel the need to listen to it again and again. If you liked the last one then this is more of the same but with a slight shift into clarity and that to me is a very good thing. Being able to pick out the instruments without the noise that has been present in some of the previous albums is a genuine pleasure. One or two of the songs are nodding to previous songs or other artists but thats what they do. Glad to see it rising up the charts and hopefully widening the audience.
You know you want to....

4.0 out of 5 stars Do they miss Mr. Portnoy?, 14 Oct. 2013
gururob (Wellingborough, England) - See all my reviews
I would say no.

After the 'intro' the Enemy Inside really gets the album going. Great rocking track.
Looking Glass starts off sounding like Rush (not a bad thing), reminding the listener that they often wear their influences proudly on their sleeves.

Yes, there are a couple of breathy ballads but that's to be expected.

Overall, a cracking album and I look forward to many more.
If only they could play near me at the weekend rather than mid-week, so I could get to see them live.

4.0 out of 5 stars The expected DT ingredients are all here, 1 Oct. 2013
Neil (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
The technical ability of this band is undoubted. With this new self-titled release we get a pretty representative range of standard DT fare. "Through the Looking Glass" was the first track to really grab me, one of those moments you live for in music, listening on repeat to a great track. Albeit they hashed the abrupt ending.

The first half of the album is solid, a gradiose opener, a strong instrumental in "Enigma Machine". "The Bigger Picture" is more of a straight-ahead track, but enjoyable, and "Behind the Veil" ranks as my second favourite track.

Now comes the trickier bit. "Surrender to Reason" is a good example of DT's lyrical weakness, and it crops up in several places through this album. I do feel for James LaBrie having to sing some of this stuff, and whereas last album he was prominent in the mix, this time around he seems muffled. "Along for the Ride" is another track that really doesn't resonate with me, resorting to some tired cliches.

The epic closer "Illumination Theory" contains some really sublime passages. A really nice track if you can overlook the sellotaped together sections , and the short Rudess/Petrucci frenetic and silly burst mid-song that disrupts the flow.

Generally it's a more consistent effort than ADTOE, there's no extended unlistenable self-indulgence on here that has me hitting the skip button. But it falls short of the stellar standards I expect of DT, it's nearly all good but only occasionally does it raise the hairs on the back of your neck - due to the lyrical and creative production weaknesses.

Looking forward to seeing them at Wembley Arena.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back To The Good Old Days!, 29 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
This is a trip back to 'When Dream And Day Unite', great upbeat feel to it, great instrumental 'Enigma Machine',more attack than the last album, a definite return to form. Thank You.Dream Theater (Special Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars I still miss Portnoy, but damn, this album has some good music on..., 26 Sept. 2013
Ben "Tillekaratne" (West Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
I was gutted when Mike Portnoy left Dream Theater, and even more gutted when they wouldn't take him back, but I still never gave up on their new music.

A Dramatic Turn of Events was a great album. However, despite really liking the tracks on it, I didn't "love" that many of them. I'm not saying it was bad, just not as incredible as some of their other albums. Though, this has to be one of the most difficult things for DT when making new music - living up to their own standards.

Right from the word go when putting on their new self-titled album, I was hooked. To name just a few tracks: the album kicks off with an awesome short instrumental track, broken into three parts. The Enemy Inside is probably the strongest track on the album, closely followed by Illumination Theory. And Enigma Machine delivers another really awesome, mind-blowing instrumental track. I was able to draw some comparisons to past albums - I'm sure any other well-versed DT fan will be able to do the same.

I do miss MP (and I hate to keep mentioning him even though he's not part of the band any more), but the band sound as strong right now as they ever have. I can't see how any true fan will not love this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just give it a few plays., 26 Sept. 2013
Paul "NS1000" (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
I've gone back to vinyl because I'm sick of complaining of bad sounding CD's and this sounds great, even the FLAC download burned to disc sounds good so the retail CD is probably ok, hence why very few have moaned about it.

No need to go over what over reviews have said, been a follower since Awake, loved ADToE, hated BCaSL so all I'll say is give it time.

Yes I'm getting old and my hearing may be going but this is better than 99% of the crap out there these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
Brilliant album - best so far

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›

Dream Theater (Special Edition)
Dream Theater (Special Edition) by Dream Theater (Audio CD - 2013)