5.0 out of 5 stars An important and extraordinary book
This is mostly about Science, but the author/reseach scientist writes in such an exuberant, engaging way that you get caught up in the excitement of his amazing discovery - that the cells in our bodies aren't just programmed by our genes as previously believed, but respond and adapt to everything around them - including our thoughts and ideas...
This confirms the...
Published on 20 July 2012 by Georgia Sands

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting science but disappointing follow through
Published on 25 Jan 2009 by Joyce Murphy

5.0 out of 5 stars An important and extraordinary book, 20 July 2012
This confirms the link between body and mind that the alternative therapies use all the time but orthodox medicine has largely scorned.
Wisely the author doesn't go our of his area of experience and start telling us how to use this link (well, he does mention one method - using kiniesiology)- there are plenty of other books which do that.
All in all it gave me even more confidence in the body/mind link.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 1 May 2012
The research and description of the cell, especially the cell membrane, and how outside influences play the major role in gene activation helped me see the topic more clearly since I had come across the idea before. The chapter on the effects of stress on the mind, body and cell activity was also exceptional and I learned new information that helps to reiterate that stress reduction is very important. I had come across the importance of stress reduction via the research and explanation of the meditation and breathing program Éiriú Eolas which I have been practicing for some time.

The author in another chapter describes how as children we are programmed with habits, beliefs and that as adults we are reactions machines just playing back these programs. I found the description spells out the state of the individual pretty well. I'm not sure if the author is aware of the teachings and work of G. I. Gurdjieff. Gurdjieff laid out this fact in a full explanation of the subject over 70 years ago. The book `In Search of the Miraculous' I think gives the best and fullest version of Gurdjieff's Fourth Way teachings and is an in depth description of man as a reaction machine, so if you find the chapter interesting you will want to continue on to Gurdjieff. It's interesting to find that science with its discovery of the adaptive unconscious, see the book `Strangers to Ourselves' for a full treatment of the subject, that is mentioned by the author is just now catching up to Gurdjieff and what I see as the best explanation for the actions and state of man as a whole.

I have to respectfully disagree with the author's epilogue that pretty much states that individuals just need to find love and also that the evolution of man will lift us out of our current sad and degrading state. The universe and existence may be based and lead to a "higher state of awareness" for man, but not without conscious work and a basic understanding of what makes up humanity and it seems only a very few individuals are willing to make the effort and acknowledge the darker aspect of our reality - psychopaths and the role they play in society and personal relations. The author and readers would do well to research and learn about the role psychopathy has to play in why we live in a violent and dog eat dog reality based on Darwin's survival of the fittest. This fits all too well the aspects of psychopath that lets them thrive. If you give psychopaths nice thoughts or love they will basically maul your being without a second thought, so knowledge of their existence and the part they play in the chaotic and evil nature of the current state of affairs on earth is in my mind essential. (Books - `Without Conscience', `The Sociopath Next door', `Puzzling People', `Political Ponerology' to name a few that are vital to understand this topic)

Overall give this book a chance. I think it will surprise you and lead you to other understandings if you let it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bridge Between Biology, Quantum Reality, and YOU., 17 Mar 2007
P. Sweeny (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I'd put this book up there with Pert's "Molecules of Emotion", various of Chopra, and others based less on the esoteric nature of things, but more on scientific fact.

The book shows that there *is* another way to look at things, rather than just accepting blindly the [scientific] dogmas of our predecessors. If you're looking for that link between science and spirituality, then start here.

The book takes the reader on an exciting journey of discovery and revelation, challenging long-held beliefs on certain aspects of Biology and Physics, to arrive at a radically new and different explanations for how our DNA - and ultimately our very being - happen to be.

The author has taken a few knocks in life - as have most of us - and this comes through in the writing. However, those 'knocks' have clearly realigned his traditional academic conditioning and outlook on to a course of independent, pure creativity within his area of expertise, without the constraints of academic funding or peer-review looking over his shoulder all the time. Spending time in the Caribbean obviously gave him this break, and while other academics would probably look down on this judgmentally as a retro-step, it provided the fertile ground for this type of change to take place.

The book gave me the Biology 101 overview that I so desperately needed. As a physicist, I was able to fill-in the blanks when it came to the Quantum Mechanics side. As a spritualist, it all made such wonderful sense when the two came together.

Fantastic, A-1, thanks for such a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one book that really will 'change your life', 1 Feb 2008
MaxC (London, England) - See all my reviews
This book by a cell biologist updates you on what you thought you knew about DNA, RNA and the behaviour of cells. It could have been dull academic reading, but Bruce Lipton's style and attitude make this a refreshing and fascinating read.
I have shelves full of self-development books claiming to 'change your life'. This book explains to me, at the level of cellular memory, why they don't work, what's missing from the formula. And what I can do about it.
More importantly, it is a wake-up call to orthodox doctors, drug companies and genetic engineers who are meddling with life like Mickey Mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice. Their science is, it is claimed, based on a Newtonian, Darwinian mechanistic view that was outdated science 70 years ago but is still being accepted without question today by graduates of the life sciences and medical schools.

It is a life-affirming, fascinating book and I am actively promoting it among all my friends. I thoroughly recommend this important book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting science but disappointing follow through, 25 Jan 2009
Joyce Murphy - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the scientific content of this book and I found the idea of the cell membrance reacting to the environment fascinating. However he went on to explain beliefs and programing promising throughout the book to give instructions at the end how to deprogram the subconcious mind and when it came to it there were no instructions or anything in the whole book telling us how to do this, only be better parents. Very disappointing from this point of view.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliantly written and accessible, 11 Nov 2012
This was a great read and I chose a copy in large print which meant I could really enjoy it. What a writer , and what a subject. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine cell biology could be so absolutely fascinating. I was riveted from start to finish. This book has certainly altered the way I look at people and the world we live in. Every bit as good as I hoped it would be. Do yourself a favour and get a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Power of Thought, 1 April 2009
Colin Whitby (UK) - See all my reviews
Bruce takes us on a journey into the strange and fascinating world of micro-biology to illustrate his discoveries around how thought can (and does) impact every aspect of our lives.

We travel with him on his own personal discoveries which show us that it can be challenging to follow our instincts rather than follow conventional thinking, proving the world is round when everyone else thinks it is flat.

I loved the examples he sites of how thought or belief can impact how we heal, something that as a healer I have often pondered. Why is it that patient `a' can experience a full and miraculous recovery when patient `b' , with the same problems and treatment, does not recover or improve.

In one of the stories a surgeon decided to test which of his techniques helped his patients the most. He routinely carried out knee operations to relieve joint problems, using two different techniques together. Which of these was the most effective, did he need to use them both? He decided to carry out three controlled tests, one with the first technique, the second with the other, and a third without doing any surgery at all (he simulated the operation).

The results surprised and confused him. All the patients reported improvements, even those who had no effective treatment. Their trust or belief in him and his methods appears to have played more than a small part in their recovery, it was fundamental to their healing.

If you have an interest in how the biology of belief impacts our lives this is an excellent read, it's not too technical for those of us who are not micro-biologists and gives an insight into some of the new thinking going on in the medical world.

2.0 out of 5 stars Proceed with caution if you're looking for self help techniques., 24 Sep 2009
In a nutshell: If your mother was stressed-out or otherwise in some kind of unhappy/angry/fraught/traumatic state when she was pregnant with you, or your parents (if together) were often violently arguing, and then once you were born you were deprived of any love/affection/encouragement/support, then sorry, but the die has been cast and you will have an unhappy life, always be a failure, never succeed at anything you want to do, no matter how intelligent you are or what good ideas you may have. Something will always get in the way or otherwise prevent it from happening.

If you try a plethora of self-help and positive thinking techniques/affirmations, whatever, you will merely be at war with yourself and suffer dreadful anxiety as a result.
In fact, he mentions a movie to illustrate his point, whereby a gifted pianist, trying to overcome the deep-rooted fears put there by his over-protective father (victim of Holocaust) that he would only be safe if he never strayed far from home, the pianist managed to travel the world, presumably fears overcome with positive thought, succeeded in giving the performance of his life, only to go insane immedietely afterwards and never recover, because, according to Lipton, he had dared to try and overcome the negative 'programming' laid down in his mind since birth.

So, in spite of the talk about cells being affected by thought, he states that once any bad, early, instructions were fed into you, (example: you're worthless/never amount to anything/you're not loved, etc) then sorry, but the damage is now done, you're beyond hope and doomed to have a traumatic, unhappy life and nothing you can do about it. Positive affirmations won't work because nothing reaches the subconsious, not even any self-help techniques you may try - oh, except for one thing! - And that is something that has been 'invented' by his friend, but you've got to go and buy his friend's book to find out how that works. Then you will have to sign-up for one of his friend's courses because Lipton points out that the book alone won't be enough.

The book in question is 'Psych-K' and the bad reviews for it seem to say it all!

So, to sum up, what Lipton appears to be doing, apart from repeat the view that thought can affect cells (hardly a new concept nowadays) is to sell you the idea that if you were already unfortunate enough to have been neglected/abused/starved of love & affection, always put down or otherwise criticised/blamed, you are doomed, and the only technique that can 'save' you is what his friend is going to tell you about in his book, but then, really you have got to attend his expensive courses as you really cannot do it yourself!

This seems to me to be yet another excercise in some author trying to cash-in on people desperately looking for ways to improve their lives.

Lipton mentions much in the way of truth, but then I don't need him to tell me about the fact that pharmaceutical companies are among the richest organisations in the world, and that prescription drugs are big business for those behind them (doctors in pockets of drug companies, etc) dangers of medically-prescribed drugs, etc, etc, I would have thought that most people are perfectly capable of working that out for themselves, it doesn't take a genuis to see all this if you only stand back and look at how the 'system' works, (or rather doesn't work) surely most of us can see quite plainly what a racket it all is, (invent names for variations in personality, create a drug for it, and so on, it's called the medicalisation of normality) Lipton says all this too, and I agree, but then I already worked it out for myself, I didn't need to buy a book just to see the author agree with me; what Lipton does is say all this, which is true, and he explains the damage that could have been done to anyone through bad parentling or traumatic early experiences, promises to tell you what you can do about it, but then goes on to say that actually you can't do anything about it, but that it can teach you not to do the same to any kids you may have, to give them a chance of having a good life, but you can't alter what damage may have been done to you, unless for the one thing that may help - his friend's 'Psych-K' techniques.

Sorry for writing a negative review, I would much rather say something good if it warrants it, and I so much wanted to feel positive about this book. I had to wait until I got to the epilogue before Lipton even mentioned anything that could be done to help people already damaged, and then it was only to try and sell his friend's book and get people signed-up for the course.

Really, if you're looking for ways to overcome inner self-sabotaging problems, you'll be better off buying a good book on Energy Pyschology, EFT techniques, (Emotional Freedom Techniques) though avoid Carol Look's book unless you already know all about EFT, as her book presupposes that you know exactly where to tap and if you have not learnt about it first, hers is not a good book to start with.

As for the book being reviewed here, (Biology of Belief) starts promising but ends up disappointing. You could even feel very depressed, thinking you were going to find answers, only to be told you're actually beyond help.

I can recommend "You Can Heal Your Life", and "I Can Do It", both by Louise Hay, far more positive and hopeful and helpful, and the latter comes with a very good CD too.

Another early book on similar lines to Lipton's, though may be difficult to obtain now, is "The Unknown Spirit" by Jean Charon. It was one of the first books I read on these kind of metaphysical matters, and is very interesting, though there is no mention of anyone being damaged or beyond help, it is mainly about the nature of 'everything, and how mind, spirit, and matter are all intertwined and how the electrons may contain more than we realise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cell biology for beginners, 13 Sep 2008
H. Baar (IOW) - See all my reviews
Nicely written, easy to read hardback. Concentrates on giving the non-scientist some background on cell biology and what the important parts do. Couple of nice visuals to explain the theory. Liked the explanation of why the quantity of DNA variations does not necessarily equate to greater intelligence - did not fully appreciate the author's epiphany and could not work out how cell walls equal the existence of god and reincarnation - unless he meant that we are god and reincarnation could mean being part of a plant after we've moved on. Spirtuality aside, I'd love some serious research into the whole passing on of the cellular memory (there was a programme about some Scandinavian records showing that people in famine situations had children who developed diabetes in later life over a 100-200 year period or similar which could be related). Incidentally I've tried the suggestion of getting a biologist to learn a bit about quantum physics but he was not at all keen (think it was the maths that put him off). Any how, 3* only because it got a little confusing when god walked in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trumping both nature and nurture, 26 Sep 2010
N. Marik "Neelesh" (London) - See all my reviews
Bruce Lipton puts you and me squarely in the centre of evolutionary unfolding -not through mystical enjoinment alone, but through scientific argument -quantum mechanical principles of observer-centricity woven together with the `New biology' of epigenetics and signal transduction.

In a compelling crusade against the conventional belief that genes control life - Lipton contends how it is in the narrow interests of the establishment (governments, the pharma industry, the medical profession etc) to keep the normal population subservient to disempowering beliefs about destiny and free will. And that all it takes to unshackle ourselves to freedom is a fully conscious mind, which trumps both nature and nurture.

Using both the power of scientific method and as astonishing array of little known/often ignored facts Lipton proves how our belief system can be a double-edged sword:
* one third of medical cures in the world can be attributed to the placebo effect
* the brain of the cell is NOT in the nucleus but the cell membrane
* A `growth' response cannot usually co-exist with a `fight-or-flight' response, and hence we have a choice: believe the universe is friendly, or hostile
* The child's physical and emotional health begins to be strongly influenced in the months preceding conception
* The information processing power of our subconscious is a million times that of the conscious mind

In the epilogue Lipton professes his subscription to the unity of science and spirit, and propounds a new rule called the `Survival of the most Loving' for which he offers two fabulous metaphorical expositions - the prismatic refraction of white light, and the compelling logic of fractal evolution.

Finally we are introduced to the practice of muscle testing (kinesiology) called PSYCH-K offered by Rob Williams that can be used to re-program our subconscious!

This book is at the bleeding edge, no doubt.