5.0 out of 5 stars Different and brilliant
I've followed the blog that is behind this book for a few years after coming across it looking for some vaguely Middle Eastern recipe.

Since then I have made many of the dishes that Bethany has featured on her site - and they have always been delicious.

Published 12 months ago by Mr Ian Clifford

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cover encloses a very poor cookbook.
The cover will attract many; it is gorgeous. The contents are very disappointing indeed. There are exceptions but in the main this book is not going to get you an authentic experience, or practical help. We are experienced cooks who love recipes from all around the globe but have found that so far the recipes in the book are bland and not worth the necessary effort...
Published 5 months ago by flycatcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and brilliant, 24 July 2013

I knew nothing about this type of cuisine but I gather that her recipes mix the traditional Middle Eastern classics, basics and methods with a little bit of modern interpretation. Wherever she is getting her ideas from, it's working. Refined yet simple to cook dishes full of new and tantalising flavours.

And, with the news that she had been asked to write a book, I was ready and waiting. If anything, the book is better than the blog. Stuffed with great food to dive into it's a visual feast of ideas. I only received it yesterday but have been drooling over it constantly since. Tonight I am tackling 'Auntie Anwar's Mansaf Risotto' a sharing plate of lamb and rice hopped up on spices. Can't wait, but there are many I want to try.

If you're open to new food experiences Bethany's cooking is a great window on a cuisine that we don't usually embrace in the west - and her book is a brilliant resource.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great traditional Lebanese food, 6 Sep 2013
Long-time food blogger Bethany Kehdy has long sought to bring Middle Eastern food to the British Isles. Forsaking the current fusion craze, Kehdy argues that delicious, basic Lebanese food has not been properly introduced to the British. As a result, The Jewelled Kitchen focuses on a broad range of the foods of Kehdy's childhood in Lebanon.

Kehdy branches out beyond the Middle Eastern appetizers that most people are familiar with (or mezze as it's called in Lebanon.), although the recipes for the obligatory hummus and baba ghanoush are in there, the variety of seafood, poultry and vegetarian dishes shows that there's an amazing variety in flavours - definitely not the dry, bland food I would have envisioned from supermarket hummus.

Kehdy is the founder of Food Blogger Connect, the only specific food blogging conference outside the US, the creator of Taste Lebanon (a food tour of traditional and modern Lebanese cooking) and her blog Dirty Little Kitchen Secrets serves as a to-do guide for Middle Eastern cooking novices. She also represented Lebanon in 2002's Miss World competition. Only time with tell if The Jewelled Kitchen is at the forefront of a Middle Eastern cooking revolution - but it's certainly poised to become the go-to guide for Irish cooks looking for an easy and authentic Lebanese experience.

Stand out recipes: hummus (easy and authentic, Kehdy notes tinned chickpeas just won't do it), minced lamb and onion pasties (puts the Cornish pasty to shame) and mussels in arak (a lovely spiced taste on an Irish staple).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic addition to the Middle Eastern cookbook market, 6 Aug 2013
Having grown up with a Greek Cypriot father above a Greek restaurant in London, I'm well versed in the cuisine of the Eastern Mediterranean. As such, it's a pleasure to find a book like this - taking the familiar yet adding the author's own personal touch, taste and flair into each and every recipe. Whether it be the duck shawarma, the venison nests with cherry, or the delightful orange salad which lights up the front cover, the flavours used are both nostalgic yet contemporary and fun.

What's more, the photography is fantastic throughout, bringing each recipe to life while the author's background introduction is a fascinating tale of ambivalence; longing for a homeland which has known so much conflict and using cooking as a way to express that feeling. Reading it brought shivers to the neck and an understanding of what the Lebanese might diaspora experience through the medium of food!

5.0 out of 5 stars Middle Eastern adventure, 30 July 2013
For someone who is mostly used to East European cuisine, like me, this book will be a true adventure. It will most likely change the way you look at the Middle Eastern cuisine and might make you experiment much more.

You might not like sweet stuff with your meat, have no idea what `sumac' is or it might seem crazy to you to prepare rice dish with `crispy bottom' (not mentioning, that traditionally, it takes two hours to do that) and you say that parsley is good for soups only, right?

Well, get a bottle of wine (preferably lebanese), open this book, find some recipe with your favourite ingredient and cook it.

I bet, you'll end up like me - finishing very easily portion for four people of Stuffed squid with fennel - all on my own, with no shame and great pleasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookbook I have ever owned!!, 30 July 2013
Bethany Kehdy has created a beautiful cookbook with great illustrations and easy to follow recipes.

This is so important to me when trying to cook something I have never cooked before. Mouth watering dishes with wonderful exciting ingredients.

I just love all the recipes and will en-devour to work my way through the whole mouth watering dishes.

Thumbs up for this book and I cannot wait for the next one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 25 July 2013
Just received this today. Really good book with lovely recipes and detailed explanation of the various sauces, spices mixes, pickles, etc. to get you going. I have Ottolenghi's Jerusalem; along with this book, I think I'm pretty much sorted for Middle Eastern and North African cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars A journey through a culture, 17 July 2013
I've always been fascinated by Middle Eastern cuisine and I had been searching for the perfect book to start cooking. When I first opened this book I could instantly feel a love for a culture by the author. The recipes are inviting and authentic, a true journey through Middle Eastern culture. In the back of the book are easy to follow recipes for the basics like herb mixes and breads, you only really need one book on Middle Eastern food and that is this one, and maybe a sequel if there were to be one!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Middle Eastern cookbook to have and cook from, 30 July 2013
Although I photographed this book and might sound biased for that reason I can honestly say it's a book to have if you want to learn about Middle Eastern cuisine. Written with passion and pure devotion, backed up by deep knowledge this book will take you on a journey through out the region, exploring spices, flavours and techniques of authentic and traditional recipes, some of them with a modern twist.

I tested many of the recipes (some of them many times) before the book was published, but now when I finally have my own copy, I continue discovering wonders of the cuisine with a child-like excitement. It's really hard to pick a favourite recipe. Stuffed squid, kishk soup, venison and sour cherry nests, tuna tartare with chermoula, dynamite chilli cigars, meaty ratatouille or teta's smokey musaqa'a are just a few to mention. Every time I cook from the book my list of favourites expands. My latest addition is Sea bass with spiced caramelised onion rice. Even my boyfriend who doesn't like spices like cinnamon and allspice is savoury dishes devoured the rice and went for seconds. What I really appreciate about this book is that the recipes are easy to follow and they work! If you want to impress your friends or family with new flavours and delicious Middle Eastern food, this book should be on your bookshelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes..., 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Jewelled Kitchen: A Stunning Collection of Lebanese, Moroccan and Persian Recipes (Kindle Edition)
I thought I'd treat my Kindle library to a new cookbook, and went for this as this type of cuisine is close to home in terms of my background. It's a lovely book, however there are many recipes that do not have accompanying pictures. This is very important to me as I like to have an idea as to what the end result should look like. I'm debating whether to return this and get a hard back copy instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lebanese Food at its Best!, 30 Oct 2013
I've been following Bethany Kehdy's food blog for quite some time and was thrilled to see she had published this beautifully photographed book of Middle Eastern cuisine, specifically focusing on the foods of her childhood, growing up in Lebanon.

All the recipes are easy to follow and nearly every one has an accompanying, stunning photograph. There are several traditional recipes but each has a twist of their own- like Auntie Anwaar's Mansaf Risotto and Chicken & Preserved Lemon Tagine or Jewelled rice. In the back of the book, Bethany gives also gives you the basic recipes and methods for many additional items like Harissa, Paneer cheese and Couscous. Plus, she has also included a listing of items to keep in your pantry to make creating Middle Eastern & North African dishes a breeze!

If you are looking to make authentic, easy to create, home-made middle eastern dishes, then Bethany's book is for you.