5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent return to form for Harvest Moon
So glad this game has fnally come out.

I'm a fan of the series, but I've been disappointed that the 3DS hasn't had it's own proper Harvest Moon game.

Published 18 months ago by Davey B

2.0 out of 5 stars About the game...
The shipping was very fast, the problem is the game in itself: big disappointment for what concern the graphic, expected a lot more. I personally think that the 2007 version for DS "Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness" had better graphic and story, and that says it all.
Published 29 days ago by Alba

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent return to form for Harvest Moon, 23 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
So glad this game has fnally come out.

A New Beginning puts that right - this is huge improvement over the last game (which was a just a port of the DS game) - all in full 3D, with great visuals and detail on the environment, characters and animals.

The best thing is that the game has been really expanded. The game world is much bigger, and much more customisable - yu can totally change the town and yur farm however you want just by picking up buildings and dropping them to move everything around.

You can also change your appearance, and the more your farm grows the more people move into the town, to make it a much more involving and long-lasting experience than the previous Harvest Moon games.

I think I prefer this game to Animal Crossing as there's more of a story to it, and it feels like you can play for longer periods.
So far, I think this is my favourite 3DS game of this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it, 12 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I'm not new to playing Harvest Moon games and "A New Beginning" is the one I would definitely recommend someone who loves farming with a purpose. You have to work real hard to earn enough money for many town renovations and building constructions so the once-empty village will become a better place to attract potential villagers. The village looks so deserted when you first move in but with time and effort, the game becomes addictive as more and more villagers start to move in and you find yourself occupied trying to catch up the new goals and people. Brilliant game in a different style and totally happy with it! Delivery was also good and fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I don't normally write reviews, however this game was the one that finally convinced me to get a 3DS. I am, admittedly, a huge Harvest Moon fan, having played them since 'Friends of Mineral Town'. The premise is very similar to the previous titles, but the way the game goes about it makes it seem fresh and interesting. Not only do you have to look after your farm, but you also have to build/rearrange/decorate the town in order to bring more characters to the game. Normally, there are only one or two characters that you have to wait until a few seasons into it to meet, so I found it really refreshing to only start with a few and in order to get the others you need to fulfill requirements (so if you want to meet that certain character, you need to work with the other villagers). There are new crops and animals to raise, which in turn leads to more things to be made.

This game is not for everyone, but I believe that for those who have never played an HM game but are curious, this is a very good starting point. For those die-hard fans, there is plenty new to keep you occupied :) All in all, a lovely relaxing game that goes on as long as you want it to. Plus, with the new character customization options and house interiors to choose from, you can finally play as the person you want to be. In the words of the Mayor: This is your life. Find something you want to do, and do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE, 1 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
i was given this for christmas and i love it, if your a harvest moon lover it doesnt get much better than this , its basic things to expect but better graphics and you have more customisation for your character that ive been waiting for so LONG!

all i can say is buy it

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, if a little tedious, 5 Feb. 2015
N. Briscoe (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I'll start by saying that I am new to the Harvest Moon games. Well, I had a game on my DS lite but i didn't really get into it that much so I considered myself a beginner and shall review this game as such.

If you are a big fan or an experienced player I can imagine the tutorial will irritate you. For me it was actually great because I had no clue what I was doing. But it's long, although you do get the chance to skip some things if you know what you are doing. Let me tell you now that the first month of the actual game is the most horrendously boring experience ever. I can see why people give up, but having read previous reviews I knew that there was much more to come so I stuck with it. My tip for month one is just
to gather things in the forest, lake areas, ship them and go to bed. Pass that month as quickly as you can but do build a bit of money in your pot and store some useful things such as rock and lumbar as you will need lots of this later.

After month one the game gets more interesting and you can start to unlock various things and expand your farm. My main interest in this game is the farming; I like farming simulation games and this is fun to play. You can also do things like get to know the villagers and forage for materials to build buildings and things to improve your farm. What I like about the game is you can do as little or as much as you like. If you just want to plod along with your farm at your leisure you can, or if you want to power through and unlock everything quickly then you can also do that.

Sometimes some of the challenges are a bit frustrating, for instance when you need certain materials to build things but you can't get hold of them, and you are sort of stuck in a rut until you can. But mostly this is a fun game that allows you to edit your farm, build it as you like, have crops, animals, pets etc and eventually get married and have kids. I haven't got to that stage yet!

I don't have much to compare it to but I enjoy the graphics, although the 3D makes me feel sick after a while (not just on this game I must add) so I tend to switch it back to 2D.
Great things- the edit mode, the farm, the animals, making money is fairly easy.
Not so great things- when you can't get a certain material you need the game can feel a bit tedious, the animal sanctuary is boring- wish you could drop animals off and return to your town, the grooming of animals takes forever and uses a lot of energy, Neil in the village is a stroppy idiot!

All in all I am enjoying the game and I would recommend it to people who like farming style games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
My daughter loves it, she has most of the Harvest moon games, the game is great for children and adults alike. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 22 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I've enjoyed quite a few HM titles, the first being HMGB, HMAWL and a few of the DS/wii titles.

I find the game to run smoothly and havn't noticed any bugs or unsightly textures. The visuals of the game are pleasing, I like how trees and forests grow and appear, the ability to move the camera at will and although not providing a 360 degree view, it is not needed and the games camera does a very good job of displaying the game. Entering and exiting areas/buildings is quick and smooth and doesn't break immersion. The interface is pretty well done although being able to add and remove items from the same screen rather than swapping between two would have been nicer. The touch screen is really only for the games map for accepting and declining and the 3D is alright but I'm not someone who plays 3DS games in 3D although it is nice to turn it on and be Wowed once in a while.

I had read the start can be a bit slow and to some degree it is a little more drawn out as it try's to explain the mechanics of the game, which it does clearly. For anyone new to the series the start would help, there is also the option to skip tutorials.

Being able to build up the town and re- arrange/create your farm is really cool too.

So far I am really enjoying it and although it shares the nice friendly look and colour scheme of animal crossing, the game is vastly different as It is based on farming. I remember a previous HM game recomending a good knowledge of English is required to fully enjoy the game and certainly understanding the language the game is being played in helps quite a bit (when it comes down to building relationships with the games characters and the events) however the actual farming should be quite straight forword.

I've found the sound of the game to be in good shape and uses familiar effects from the previous games. I've read you can also create a music player? My only gripe is I'm rather fond of HMAWL's music and wish there was some in there.

Overall for me it does exactly what I wanted it for, a fun good looking and smooth farming game with improvements. I was not really impressed with the previous ds titles and pleased for the most part I missed them out, this game feels like a console game on handheld due to its visuals and gameplay and I think I will have lots of fun with it.
I am happy with my purchase. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I've always been a fan of the Harvest Moon series and A New Beginning is a great addition to the franchise. Having got this for Christmas, I've had plenty of time to really get stuck in.

Though slow-paced, it is completely charming and really rather addictive. It does what it says on the tin - you run a farm. It's as simple as that, but with a number of different crops and animals with different needs, dynamic characters and new areas to unlock and explore, all while breathing life back into the small town, there is still plenty to do.

Being virtual life, there is no right or wrong way to play. Grow what you want, layout your farm how you want, choose your husband/wife and your outfits, take your time or rush on through. It's your chance to pwn a farm without having to hardly lift a finger and as far as handheld editions go, this one is the winner by a mile.

5.0 out of 5 stars My granddaughter loved it., 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
I don't know a lot about gaming I only know my granddaughter has spent most of her time since Christmas playing this game, so it must be good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutly awesome!!!, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS) (Video Game)
Great upgrade to the old titles of HM this one has everything!! i don't regret one bit purchasing it i really love it. New animals, personalise your own farm and town, garden space really it is great any fan of HM will love A new beggining!

Harvest Moon: A New Beginning (Nintendo 3DS)