on 2 November 2013
I purchased this laptop at the beginning of October after much research and when I discovered it was nearly £200 cheaper on Amazon than HP's website, Iwent ahead and ordered. As I was new to Windows 8, I was apprehensive as to how I would like it. I loved it although you do get a sore arm after a while with the touchscreen. You can also use the standard desktop and scroller with left and right clicker if you want to. The laptop itself seems fairly well built but I can't comment any further as, after three weeks, the power supply is broken!! It has a pin in the laptop end of the cable, like the old co-axial tv ariel fitting and if you're not very careful, the pin bends and the cable will not go into the laptop. I consider myself as quite careful. My children (teenagers with their own laptops) don't use this machine and therefore it hasn't taken much to break the power supply. I contacted Amazon and was given the choice of a total exchange or partial refund. As I didn't relish the idea of having to clear everything off my machine, I opted for the refund which will mote than cover the cost of the new power supply but the whole experience has been very inconvenient. Final judgement, laptop ok as far as I can see, Power supply, completely substandard and not good enough from a company like HP.
on 1 January 2015
I got the i7 with nvidia gt840m but I dont think there is much difference in the overall make. Previously I owned an HP pavillion machine which was portable, well built and did the job. Then I had the misfortune of investing big time in a machine like this that seemed promising initially but after a few days you start to realize what a big loss.

PROS: Slim, low weight hence easily mobile. Carry it anywhere. The display at times is very impressive. The processing overall is up to the knotch. Processing wise 10/10

BUT

CONS: You'll know that the keyboard area has a very supple plate that easily dips under weight when you tap at the keys.
Display: The display is horrendous to get used to, everything everywhere even in word seems to have distorted text appearance and it majorly suffers from the whole large resolution that the laptop screen is set at. It does not cope well with ambient lighting either so you are constantly readjusting screen settings. 5/10
Battery power: on normal use even the battery lasts upto 3.5hrs max beyond which it won't stretch further. When gaming is upto max, the battery is lucky to make it past 2hrs. 3/10
As expected with gaming laptops but not to such extent, the machine easily overheats and this is due to the cheap, inappropriate build. 4/10.
Overall build: Rather flimsy, feels like very slim aluminium or plasticky. And for a gaming machine especially one that you intend to last for a long time, you DONT wan't something so vulnerable. You can ALREADY tell from having handled the machine the first few hours that this is a laptop highly prone to breakage and compared to previous gen pavillion which are hard as brick this is an epic fail 2/10
Gaming experience: A lot of the recent games like Thief 4 and Alien rage will run smoothly inc. Hard Reset and Lichdom esp. which runs on Cry engine (Cry games are known to be pc killers). But some games will suffer on these models at lagging or matching up to the fps hence 7/10
Cost efficiency: 2/10. For up to the £800 range (assuming PC WORLD where I got mine) it is not cost effective or worth the price given AT ALL. And this is from someone who has had a lot of experience with many laptops.
Overall: 4/10.

The Pavillion series even the previous generation what with new ones coming out, are the boss of this cheaply made but overpriced model. And at a lower price too. I regret not settling for a cheaper Pavillion even without the latest gpu gimmicks. I would not recommend this laptop to anyone. BIG disappointment HP :/
on 22 October 2015
Apart from the hinge issue which has been mentioned (one of mine has come a little loose since I bought this laptop 2 years ago) this machine still warrants five stars from me. I'm a web developer and video editor, and this laptop copes very well with the powerful software I need to use to do my work. It has never overheated, the keys haven't faded and the touchscreen is as responsive as ever. It also has more than enough USB ports to connect and charge numerous gadgets, as well as a speedy 3.0 port which I used for charging devices or transferring files quickly. Considering its powerful specs and excellent condition after two years of daily use, I can see this machine lasting for many more years to come.
on 23 December 2013
The computer is great so far with the obvious exception of Windows 8 which is a horrible travesty of a thing. With time and patience the os can be beaten into a usable format i.e. remove the bloatware, boot to desktop and switch to the program list burying that god awful tile based start screen somewhere it won't be seen again. Be a bit careful cause installing an incompatible anti-virus meant having to do the massive and slow download for Windows 8.1 twice. Also there was a setting somewhere that needed adjusting so Chrome works on the desktop not as an app (big problem with which being that as an app you lose your taskbar at the bottom of the screen and switching from say the internet where you found a picture to a word doc where you want to paste it becomes a hassle).

Not massively keen on the drag pad but I normally use a wireless mouse anyway so no biggie. I can notice the difference when working with more complex programs such as Adobe Creative Suite in terms of processing time and it copes well with a heavy workload in general. The touch screen has been occassionally useful as I suppose it will continue to be but anyone who thinks it is a good idea to control their laptop by touchscreen on a general basis really ought to go have another look at the concept of ergonomics.

Overall a fast efficient computer.
on 19 November 2014
I bought this laptop and i am very surprised about the good quality for this low price. i use it to work and my son play games on it. ;) the name of the game was titanfall. i think other games should run,too. The laptop very fast! i convert videos, up and download them and work on adobe photoshop and make presentations on it. The touchscreen works very fine and fast!

So on... i bought for this laptop a second keyboard, because that is much easyer to write mails with an external keyboard.
i bought this one, because i had it one year ago with an other laptop,too. Of course i bough a very good mouse, too!

Mouse:
-----------

Keyboard:
-------------

Of course if you want to buy a laptop, you also need a case for it, because i think you want to take it with you home or to work and so on...
A very cheam but very good case is this one, because my laptop fall down one week ago with this case, but the laptop is still alive ;)

Case:
-------

If you want to make presentations on it, you need a gold-plated HDMi-cable. Why gold plated? If you have a gold plated one, your tv will recognize this laptop and switch automatically to the right hdmi port. That looks very nice and make you look, like the serious businessmen, you are!

gold plated HDMI:
------------------------

Try it, i am sure you won't be disappointed! i hope i had help you to buy a nice item ;)
on 8 November 2014
Much more powerful than my last laptop.