4.0 out of 5 stars Great computer with a crap os that needs a kick in the pants
Published 3 months ago by Mr Snuffulufugus

3.0 out of 5 stars Power supply not up to the job!
Published 5 months ago by annyvials

3.0 out of 5 stars Power supply not up to the job!, 2 Nov 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: HP Envy TouchSmart 15-j002ea 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, TB HDD , Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
I purchased this laptop at the beginning of October after much research and when I discovered it was nearly 200 cheaper on Amazon than HP's website, Iwent ahead and ordered. As I was new to Windows 8, I was apprehensive as to how I would like it. I loved it although you do get a sore arm after a while with the touchscreen. You can also use the standard desktop and scroller with left and right clicker if you want to. The laptop itself seems fairly well built but I can't comment any further as, after three weeks, the power supply is broken!! It has a pin in the laptop end of the cable, like the old co-axial tv ariel fitting and if you're not very careful, the pin bends and the cable will not go into the laptop. I consider myself as quite careful. My children (teenagers with their own laptops) don't use this machine and therefore it hasn't taken much to break the power supply. I contacted Amazon and was given the choice of a total exchange or partial refund. As I didn't relish the idea of having to clear everything off my machine, I opted for the refund which will mote than cover the cost of the new power supply but the whole experience has been very inconvenient. Final judgement, laptop ok as far as I can see, Power supply, completely substandard and not good enough from a company like HP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great computer with a crap os that needs a kick in the pants, 23 Dec 2013
Mr Snuffulufugus (Aussie ex-pat, UK) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
The computer is great so far with the obvious exception of Windows 8 which is a horrible travesty of a thing. With time and patience the os can be beaten into a usable format i.e. remove the bloatware, boot to desktop and switch to the program list burying that god awful tile based start screen somewhere it won't be seen again. Be a bit careful cause installing an incompatible anti-virus meant having to do the massive and slow download for Windows 8.1 twice. Also there was a setting somewhere that needed adjusting so Chrome works on the desktop not as an app (big problem with which being that as an app you lose your taskbar at the bottom of the screen and switching from say the internet where you found a picture to a word doc where you want to paste it becomes a hassle).

Not massively keen on the drag pad but I normally use a wireless mouse anyway so no biggie. I can notice the difference when working with more complex programs such as Adobe Creative Suite in terms of processing time and it copes well with a heavy workload in general. The touch screen has been occassionally useful as I suppose it will continue to be but anyone who thinks it is a good idea to control their laptop by touchscreen on a general basis really ought to go have another look at the concept of ergonomics.

Overall a fast efficient computer.

ARRAY(0xaef45954)