5.0 out of 5 stars Ride Out The Dark
Published 11 months ago by A. Gardner

3.0 out of 5 stars Great songs, lovely warmth, but why not 4 or 5 stars?...
I agree this is a superb album and whilst it's not been produced too cleanly, listening to the mix on headphones, I do find the production a little muddy. Using the Thunder Runner as an example, the lead guitar, bass and vocals have all been placed in the central position with only accompanying instruments taking the far left and far right channels.

This is a...
Published 5 months ago by Mr. C. A. Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Ride Out The Dark, 12 Aug 2013
A. Gardner (Bath, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark (Audio CD)
This is a cracking album - the guitar is the thing that first grabbed me, I cant't remember the last time that I heard an instrument played so fluently and the upbeat melodies really stick in your head - add into the mix a great female vocalist alongside vaguely psychedelic lyrics and the whole thing sounds fantastic - really hope that this band get the following they deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer joy, 8 Aug 2013
Big Twink (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark (Audio CD)
This is the debut album from a great band from across the pond and has become one of the favourites of the year. What first struck me was the unassuming way the songs just sneak up on you, in a nonchalant way. Then I realised they didn't really remind me of any other band, which is extremely rare these days. They play a kind of Americanised take on British indie-rock, with tasteful bass lines and great guitar playing. The sound of the album is superb too, with just the right amount of reverb and a spot-on guitar sound - not too clean, not too scuzzy. Ultimately though, what makes this a winner is the very well-crafted songs. It's packed full of singalong bits that stay in your head, whilst remaining understated and not really commercial. Quite an achievement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly original guitar work, 7 Aug 2013
CRB "CRB" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark (Audio CD)
John Gnowski, guitarist with Houndstooth, is one of the most original new players around. He is backed up by a fine, enthusiastic band and cool female singer who provide some great songs and melodies. Hopefully they will become huge.

5.0 out of 5 stars A slow burner but in the end very good, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark (Audio CD)
Very much a slow burner but once you get to like its a very decent album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark (Audio CD)
A blisteringly great album - this band deserve to go places - the guitar work is reminiscent of Richard Thompson's work with Fairport Convention - and praise can't come higher than this. Despite the guitarist's evident talent, it's not intrusive and sounds especially gorgeous on 'Canary Island' - a track I heard on an Uncut sampler - and got me into the band. Lovely female vocalist. Let's hope they tour the UK soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Album, 28 April 2014
M. John "jerrykan" (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I'd heard one track on Radio 6 and immediately loving its loping bass and superb guitar interplay I ordered a vinyl copy of the album.
If you like Galaxie 500, Beat Happening or Band of Susans I highly recommend this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album., 11 Dec 2013
Andy (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ride Out the Dark (MP3 Download)
It's rare that I buy an album where there are no tracks that I will routinely jump past. It's even rarer that I bother writing even a brief review like this. I won't even attempt to describe the sound/style of this band - judge for yourself - but this was my album of the Summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark (Audio CD)
I bought this album after being grabbed after 1 listen to 'Francis' on an Uncut sampler. Melodic, hints of Blondie, Fleetwood Mac, a bit punky. The use of the guitar, as another reviewer has said, is brilliant - spiky, not intrusive and adds to the melodies and backs up the female vocalist magnificently.
This album is going to be worn out on my iPod but I doubt that I'll get sick of it. Classic pop songwriting but not shallow - it has substance and I am looking forward to seeing how this band progresses - thanks Uncut, I nearly missed it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 4 Sep 2013
Crispin Muir - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark (Audio CD)
What a beautiful album that reminds me at times of the Velvet Underground, Galaxy 500, Mazzy Star and Luna. I love the vocals and guitar playing and if you like the above I am sure you would enjoy this

5.0 out of 5 stars Hound....stooth, 19 Aug 2013
Mr. Stephen H. Lyall (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ride Out The Dark (Audio CD)
Unusual for two bands to arrive on the scene with similar sounding names (Houndmouth) but after hearing this I don't think they can worry about being confused with anyone else. In line with the other reviews a fine debut album with a refreshing upbeat sound which is tight controlled and bouncy. Once again praise for the fantastic guitar work, whether weaving in and out of the songs or propelling them along. The mellowish female vocal is a perfect fit for the style of music and can be heard clearly even on the 'throbbing' Francis. Here the guitar plays a prominent lead role but also darts about with little flourishes as the song unwinds. A great mix of faster and slower paced songs, nothing sounds samey and no filler! They should be going places.

Ride Out the Dark