‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Drenge (Audio CD)
Saw them on Jools Holland - reminded me a bit of a cross between Nirvana and earlier Black Keys (which would be a pretty awesome combination). Great sound but lyrically a bit crude

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs a Bass Player, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Drenge (Audio CD)
Like some of the other recent great bands Drenge are a two piece, taking Rock back to it's best stripped down basics. The difference to the American greats of this genre such as The White Stripes and the Black Keys is that they are writing and singing with a British slant in their ouput. Great singing and playing from this young duo who I reckon have a great and hopefully long career ahead. Backwaters is the high light for me of the 12 original songs featured, well strictly speaking 11 because one I Don't Want to MAke Love to You has a Willie Dixon influence evident and rightly credited.
Good value, looking forward to the next one lads!
PS they are great live too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Drenge [VINYL] (Vinyl)
A good few 4-star tracks, a few 3-star, but the last track alone is worth owning this album for. What a beauty!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bluesy Debut, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Drenge (Audio CD)
The debut album by Drenge is a heavy blues rock work. It's based on the same template that the White Stripes have most notably used, a guitar, some drums, and a set of vocal chords. As far as implementation goes, they have far better drumming to the White Stripes, but lack that flair that Jack White has. Of course, if you have a secret dislike of the White Stripes and wish they could drum better then this album will be perfect for you. Another similar band that springs to mind is the Black Keys, who have really impressed me in the last year or so. Drenge are starting from not a bad direction and place.
What this album has in abundance is energy. A kind of raw energy that isn't the same with any other genre. The fact that they're from Sheffield also surprises me a little bit. I'm not familiar with the area, but it doesn't hit me as a blues rock hotspot.
My favourite track is 'Backwaters' which has a very heavy guitar that reminiscent of something the Black Keys would come out with, and the vocals are clear and have a wonderful bluesy tone to them. The drummer knows what he's doing and you can hear it on almost all of the tracks. The guitar solos aren't as screeching as I'd perhaps like, but other than that it's really good.
This is a great debut by Drenge. It's got fistfuls of energy and life, and manages to have an identity of it's own, which isn't easy. Any blues rock fan will really enjoy this album, and I would love to see them live. Hopefully they'll come north and I'll get a chance soon. I really do wish these guys get some recognition as this is a seriously good debut, and I look forward to good things to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drenge rock like a beast!, 25 Oct 2013
The Old Dead Pig (northwest england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drenge [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
Love this to bits. Like the White Stripes only with a drummer who can drum and a singer whose voice doesn't annoy the bejesus out of me. And with some real emotion. Standout tracks are Backwaters, whose riff has nearly made me crash the car as I drum along to it, and Let's Pretend which has a couple of anguished roars in it which still give me goosebumps after a couple of dozen listens. Saw them live at Lancaster Library a couple of days ago and they were louder, more distorted, and even more wonderful than on record. Hopefully they will be enormous in 2014!

4.0 out of 5 stars Teenage rage (revisited), 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Drenge (Audio CD)
Really enjoying this album - this 40something reviewer enjoying some proper teenage anger. There's not enough teenage anger in music these days. For a two piece this is a fairly fulsome sound. Curiously, for an album described elsewhere as 'punk' the guitars remind me of some of the hardcore riffing that Helmet used to serve up (40somethings, eh?) Very good album indeed and getting better to these ears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Peak Sound, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Drenge (Audio CD)
Firstly, this band are NOT FROM SHEFFIELD....for all the lazy journalists who can't read a map, these two brothers are from Castleton which is in DERBYSHIRE. There.

Oh, and they make riff-heavy noisey grungey blues rock. Having watched them in action in a pub in Camden last night, the guitar work reminded me of Daydream Nation era Sonic Youth. It's raw but it should be (they're only young lads). A great antidote to a lot of current stylised tosh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw and catchy punk-grunge, memorable lyrics, 15 May 2014
This review is from: Drenge (Audio CD)
These boys definitely know how to write a catchy tune, lively drums, raw guitar coupled with some pungent, darkly amusing lyrics which aren't easily forgotten. :) The CD comes in a card sleeve with a small foldout leaflet with all the lyrics on.

I agree with another reviewer that their sound reminds me of early stuff from the Black Keys, and one of the track's riffs really reminds me of The White Stripes. If you're a fan of either or both of these bands you won't be disappointed. :)

I love six of the tracks just from this one album, which for me makes it a great one, and has gone a good way to patch over the disappointment I had on listening to the Black Keys latest album, Turn Blue... (euch...lots of falsetto whimpering and forgettable riffs, nothing like their earlier raw sound which I loved so much...)

Drenge are playing Glastonbury this year, and have won an award, they are definitely going to get more famous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 21 April 2014
This review is from: Drenge (Audio CD)
Perfect. I mean. I don't have ALL this time. It was all very good and I'm very happy to buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch UK blues rock, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Drenge (Audio CD)
I immediately need to know how to play Backwaters on guitar. This is epic, I had heard bloodsports on the radio and knew i needed this album. I was not wrong. It really evokes the area in Derbyshire where the brothers originate from.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Drenge
Drenge by Drenge (Audio CD - 2013)