5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly impressive headphones.
Published 20 months ago by Ian Wantling

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, let down by design
Published 18 months ago by Paul Fillery

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishingly impressive headphones., 21 Sept. 2013
Ian Wantling (The North West.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Creative Sound Blaster Evo Wireless Bluetooth NFC Gaming Headset with USB and 3.5 mm Analogue Connection (PS4 / PC / MAC / Smart devices) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used and been impressed with various Creative pc speakers over the years I was more than curious to discover how their newly released headphones performed. The Evo Wireless arrived in a nicely presented black and red box, worthy of being displayed in any respectable audio store. In the box were the headphones, a black pvc draw string storage bag, phono lead, a corded usb charging lead and a quick start guide.

After downloading the SoundBlaster Evo latest software, registering the product and charging the headphones you're good to go.

After using and testing for most of the day I concluded these headphones fall into, and perform differently in three different catagories - wired for audio and/or voice commands to a tablet or mobile phone, wireless via Bluetooth for the same functions, and wired via usb or phono lead to a pc.

Now to the test. For wired and wireless I used an iPad2 and a Galaxy S4.The music I sampled was mainly from a Ministry Of Sound compilation album ONE,which has a high bit rate and can really push headphone drivers to their limits. I also listened to tracks by K.D. Lang, Jeff Lynne and Elbow. I compared the Evo's to another impressive set of Logitech UE 6000 Headphones - Black.

The reason I used two sound sources is that the iPad doesn't have the frustrating EU volume limitation enforced on it in the way mobile phones annoyingly do.

The headphones were straight forward to pair via Bluetooth. The playback controls are all on the right hand ear piece. There's a power on button, next and previous track buttons (that only work via Bluetooth) and a volume up and down scroll wheel. Via Bluetooth the playback results were good, (what I would describe as a 'nice warm' playback) but not impressive. I had half expected to be under-whelmed by the playback via Bluetooth as I have yet to hear anything that comes anywhere near exceptional using wireless.

Next, I disabled Bluetooth I used the phono cable to test the headphones on the iPad, and that's where they turned into an entirely different beast. From a purring cat to a roaring lion would be a good description. I don't know if it's because the headphones are able to draw power from the source unit, or that music sent via Bluetooth loses something in mid-air, but the sound from the headphones when they were 'wired' was astonishing. The bass blew me away; drums had that punch you normally only feel at live performances, mid range was smooth, treble was tight but not tinny and vocals were silky smooth on the quieter tracks. I asked my son to give them a go and his reaction was, 'Whoaaa.... Awesome....'

I'm still in the midst of testing these on a pc, as there are some features I've not yet mentioned that need to be covered and I'll update this review shortly.

So to conclude.

Fabulous, amazing sounding headphones for music playback. Voice activation commands work well, phones calls are clear and distortion free. I'd recommend using the Bluetooth function/playback for use in public as the volume won't be loud enough to become annoying to those around you. But when the time is right use the the phono cable and wire these headphones into your device (preferably one without the EU volume limitation built in) and they will blow you away.

Awesome. Totally recommended !

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - better if you like customising your sounds., 10 Oct. 2013
Russtafarian (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So, whip these out the box and charge them up via USB to iMac. Seemed to take forever. Used the USB-Mains adaptor from my iPhone and it went much quicker. (Not a surprise).

After charging, used the wired USB connection to connect with the IMac. Connects fine, but needed to install the driver (which I took from the website - you don't get a CD with this). That was simple enough.

Then fired up iTunes, turned on the cans and started listening to some random albums (various forms of dance/club music). Thought things were sounded a little false and vacant. That's because the Dolby 7.1 and Bass Boost are all on by default - instant annoyance!

So, go into the software and realize that you can customize the equalizer and extra effects cans for various sound types/sources. These come under Music, Film and Game (all self-explanatory). Within these options you have preset equalizers that you can choose on the fly. You can also set-up your own variations and save them.
Aside from the equalizer options, you can choose to use Bass Boost and virtual Dolby 7.1 Surround, and adjust central listening positions, and so forth. These can be saved, too.
So after dabbling with these while listening to music, I set everything to the plain old "flat" setting, turned off the surround sound (this made things sound hollow and vacant) and stuck with the iTunes equalizer that I've already got set-up. If, like me, you've already customized iTunes, you may well want to do the same. However, the Bass Boost was quite nice for my drum'n'bass tracks, so I'll use that from time to time.
Once the sound was put back to basics, things sounded so much better (in my opinion!). I don't need a billion options, but for the audiophiles among you, I'm sure there's plenty to whet your appetite

Then I unplugged the USB and tried out Bluetooth. Once you have it set-up (takes 30 seconds) your iMac and the cans will connect whenever they're together. You can stop this in the settings. The connection around the house was good, and didn't loose any connection over my home's two floors, or in the garden. Result!

Then connected via Bluetooth to my iPhone 4s. Piece of cake - takes 30 seconds. Again, connection fine, although in this case you don't get any of the equalizer options compared to being connected to an iMac.

After all the love of wireless connection, I used the standard phono cable, and it mildly transformed into a standard pair of headphones. There is some difference in sound quality (it's a little richer), but unless you have an absolute ear for perfection, there's not enough between the two to complain about.

The right earphone has buttons that allow you skip tracks and adjust the volume, and power on/off. The main disc also acts as a source-switch button, which I found quite sensitive - so if you accidentally knock it, you have to press it twice to get back to your device. (In my case it switches through iMac-iPhone-nothing). So be gentle with your fingers when you want to changes tracks/adjust sound.

I've also worn these on my commute to work (via train and tube). You can turn up the volume without upsetting your fellow passengers, I've found, and obviously this works at home (wife watches TV while privately raving next to her). It also works the other way around - the rest of the world goes pretty silent, so be aware of your surroundings and don't' step into the road until the green man tells you!

Visually, these look quite nice. When in use, you have the option s having a red light on the ear-cups - turn these off. You'll look like a right pillock, no matter how down with the kids you are. (Turn these off in the iMac settings).
Comfort-wise, I've worn these happily for a couple of hours, but then my ears start to ache. I have a "medium-sized head" and smallish ears. My ears sit fine within the perfectly round cups, but I think it's the squeeze of the overall product that causes the discomfort. The weight is fine, too, and the headband sits comfortably over my head with little adjustment.

Lastly, this comes with a little bag to help store the cans in. It's a cheapo drawstring PVC-fake-leather number, and nothing to write home about.

Note that there's a few features I've not tried out, and won't ever get round to doing: Use them on a Windows PC, use to watch movies or use chat with.

Although I like the sound, shape and general quality of these headphones, I feel that these are trying a little too hard (for my needs) with the wonders of Bluetooth connectivity and customizing options (and stupid flashy lights).
Yes, I can now run around the house with my headphones on and not get yanked back by a cable, but I'm honestly not going to need to that often, and as I said, I've already use the iTunes equalizer settings.
Instead, if I were going to make this purchase again, I'd opt the next model down - the non-wireless Evo that come with a standard phono cable. You get the same quality but without the frivolous extras, plus get to save about £40 in the process.

Overall, if you want options - this is for you. If you're like me, it's a good purchase, 4/5, with too many extras/gimmicks, so get the wired version.

These are the non-wireless ones:
Creative Blaster Headphone Analogue Connectors

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound and connectivity but some small issues, 23 Oct. 2013
Mark H (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Here are a quick list of the pros and cons I found with these headphones, followed by a quick summary.

Pro
- Sounds quality is very good, particularly when wired. Bluetooth though is also surprisingly good as not every set of wireless headphones I've tried have been very good. These are the best I have tried. Overall these headphones handle all types of music well. I tested out 'Beethoven Late String Quartets' by the Tokyo String Quartet, 'Wise up Ghost, by Elvis Costello and the Roots and 'Electric Ladyland' by The Jimi Hendrix Experience. All picked up well, the detail in the classical music was well balanced in particular. Bass is clear and punchy, treble is nice and crisp without being hissy and the mids are warm and lovely.
- Use with PC is brilliant. Probably the best quality sound I have had out of my PC for gaming
- Noise isolation is good. Did some testing and people were unable to hear my music even at quite high volume levels. So good for a commute or public use.
- Range of connectivity is good. With Bluetooth, NFC, USB and wired options I don't think there is any device that couldn't connect to these headphones.
- Remote controls work well - Designed and placed well on the right headphone they do the job simply and effectively when connected wirelessly.

Cons
- Microphone is not great. Sounds quality in conversations was judged to be somewhere between acceptable and poor by people I talked to. Probably not the headphones for you if you intend to use them for conversation.
- Comfort could be better. After having these on for a while my ears where a bit sore and sweaty. They are slightly smaller than my normal headphones so maybe that is the issue.

All in all these headphones offer excellent sound quality, particularly when used with the PC for gaming. Detailed sound is picked up well and they offer a good range of connectivity options. However if you are going to be using them to make phone calls or conversation whilst gaming I would look at other options.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, bad fit, 21 Oct. 2013
Amazon Customer "maria2222" (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Overall I'm quite happy with this product although there are also some misses that means that I might consider other products in the same price range, but first for the positives:

- The sound is really clear and enjoyable - the louder, the better
- The wireless works really well (once I found out how to use it! The instructions that come with the product are very basic and pretty much only covers the function of the buttons etc. on the headphones, but not how to e.g. pair using Bluetooth - or even information that you need to install a software on your mobile phone to use the Bluetooth function. It might be obvious to other users, but as this is the first time I've used Bluetooth, it wasn't immediately clear to me and I didn't find any really useful information about it on the company's website either, so there was some trial and error for me at first). But once it is installed, it is great not to constantly get the cables stuck on the bag or bus doors or whatever else I pass on my way to work!
- It folds to take up less space than a normal headset and it comes with a bag to protect the product which I thought was a nice touch
- The battery life is really good and it is charged via USB, so you can continue listening to music while you charge it.

There are, however, also some negatives and the most important one for me is the fit which really isn't very good. It sits awkwardly on the ears - not quite covering them like my old Sennheiser headphones (which I love) nor are they small enough to really warrant this downsizing from a standard headphone fit. They are quite hard on the ears and very "wobbly" meaning if you jump or run, they are likely to fall off or at the very least end up half way down your face which is frustrating. Also related to the fit is the fact that every time I take a step, there is a corresponding sound in the headphones - probably because they are moving over my ears. This obviously is not as apparent at loud volumes, but it is extremely annoying when I'm just using them around the office.
The only other negative thing I have to say is not so much related to the product as to the before-mentioned lack of information provided with the headphones. Even if they wanted to save on the paper included in the packaging, they should at least provide a useful website that the user could access without the trial and error of Google searches or phone calls to the company.

A good product that requires some tweaking. 3.5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great...., 20 Oct. 2013
Lizzie (Newtownards Co Down) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ok, so I'm no expert, but I do like my music. I've been using Skullcandy head and ear phones recently which in my opinion have been hard to beat. I would put these Creative Sound Blaster head phones on a par with them. in fact one of the main plus points for me regarding the Creative Sound Blaster ones is that they are sooo light and comfortable which is unusual for headphones of this size and quality. I didn't feel like they were weighing me down and the cushioned head band was very comfortable. I can wear them for a reasonable length of time and can walk around in them and they stay put. Don't know if you could jog with them though.

They came in well presented packaging which contained the headphones, case and cables along with 'instructions.' The 'instructions' were my only gripe, as they were practically non-existent. However, this is not unusual with electronics now. Having said that they were easy to set up and pair with my iPod and after charging them, I was up and running. The sound quality using the bluetooth is excellent and to me in no way compromises the listening experience. In fact, it enhances it, allowing me to potter about unimpeded around the house completely wirelessly :) I tested them with all kinds of music, classical, metal, folk and pop and it was all good :) I found the default settings good for me.

The controls are all on the right earphone and you can adjust the volume, skip and pause tracks whilst on the move.

They fold up nicely into a soft pouch. I'll be using these headphones frequently :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sound, shame about the ergonomics..., 20 Nov. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, these have great sound, as you would expect for their RRP. They are in the same quality bracket as Sennheiser which is definitely a first for Creative headphones. The bass is very impressive, and doesn't dominate vocals, even faint whispers are clear. The bluetooth doesn't sound quite as good, I am presuming this is a bitrate limitation, but it works fine and is easy to set up.

The only real problem that stops these being perfect is the basic fit. The cans fall into a size that isn't quite big enough, or small enough. They sit awkwardly on my head and don't feel secure. There is also the problem of pressure; to make them feel more solid I make the fit tighter, which just gets sore after a while. Plus, they make my ears moist, which is never a good thing. Fit is obviously a personal thing, so I recommend you measure the internal size of these next to a comfortable set you already own.

Build quality is overall very good, not professional-level, but as good as you'll find in consumer kit. The mic is a bit of a letdown, and sounds no better than what you would get with a £20 Sennheiser headset.

Overall, sonically excellent, but (for me) ergonomically flawed. Try before you buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, let down by design, 21 Nov. 2013
Paul Fillery (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yes, these sound great. I've had Creative headphones before and my experience with those, allied to the price point for this set, meant that I was expecting a decent performance. Rich and full sound reproduction, with (unusual these days) quite restrained bass performance. This means vocals and acoustic instruments become beautifully clear (I love to hear the sound of fingers sliding up a down a guitar's frets). You can use the Sound Blaster elements to boost sound reproduction, but the headphones need to be charged for this - and that does take a while. All good - isolation is decent, though the sound leakage is more than I was expecting. These won't match studio headphones, but they are a good home alternative sound-wise.

The Bluetooth connectivity is simple, but sound quality drops slightly. I just don't use it. The same with the mic for taking calls - it's not something I will ever use, though other reviewers have had plenty to say about its awfulness.

My biggest problem with these is how fragile they feel - yes, they fold down a little flatter and a pouch is provided, but their inherent "plasticky" feel means I would be worried about travelling with them (As a slight aside, why do manufacturers insist on using shiny black plastic for things like headphones? They end up constantly covered in fingerprints - drives me crazy.). They are, nevertheless, fine for home use with a laptop, smartphone, etc. but like a couple of other reviewers, I struggled with the fit on these - had to adjust them so they were quite snug on my head so that they felt "secure", but this resulted in them (a) becoming uncomfortable after around 30-40 minutes, and (b) causing my ears to overheat.

4.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite headphones, 19 Nov. 2013
A Smile and a Wave (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing you'll notice about these headphones is the bright red colouring and chunky design. When you take them out of the box you'll also notice the weight of them - these are pretty sturdy headphones and feel heavy compared to some of the lightweight ones that I'm used to, or even ear buds. Having said that, they don't feel uncomfortably heavy - just a little bit weighty, and although they're not going to be much use if you want to use them when jogging etc, they are fine for the rest of the time.

The red coloured theme continues with the supplied leads - both the USB and 3.5mm jack leads are red too, and when the headphones are turned on they actually have rings of red light around the cans which looks quite cool in a darkened room. Anyone who prefers to be more subtle can choose to switch these lights off by using the corresponding software (more of that further on) but on the whole these headphones do look good.

The Sound Blaster Evo Wireless headphones aren't all looks and no substance though - they're impressively powerful in sound too, with a rich bass and plenty of oomph. They are slightly too heavy with the bass if anything, but I found that a slight tweak of the settings to boost treble notes gave good results and a great listening experience with most music. Unfortunately some music does sound a little "muddy" (as though it's being listened to through a wall of cotton wool) which is a shame as at other times the clarity and depth is impressive. This effect tends to be more noticeable with older music (pre-1970) and most of the modern music I've listened to sounded excellent. Despite using them with different audio sources through Bluetooth, USB and also the traditional jack lead I haven't been able to correct that problem. From both the styling and the audio experience I suspect that they have been designed to satisfy the tastes of younger listeners.

It's not necessary to install the Evo software at all if you just want to listen to music (available for both PC and Mac), but if you do then you can change the settings for the headphones (for music, gaming, cinema etc) and update firmware etc. Personally I had issues installing the software on one of my computers, and it refused to work at all. However, I installed it easily on another machine where it worked perfectly (both running Windows 7). Online Creative support did offer some assistance in resolving the problem but in the end it became easier to abandon the first installation altogether and now I simply use the other machine. Setting them up with Bluetooth has been straightforward with every device so no problems there.

There is no noticeable difference in sound whichever way they are connected and they also last a decent length of time between charges. Thanks to the comfortable fit and wireless connectivity these are definitely my new favourite headphones despite the shortcomings, and if Creative can improve the corresponding software for installation issues and issue an update to correct that muddiness then I'll be back to give it five stars instead of four.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound ... but not that comfortable - and probably home wear only!, 9 Oct. 2013
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a fantastic pair of Philips in-ear phones Philips SHE9000/10 In-Ear Headphones - Black which I love that much I tend to use for everything. There is a (possibly nonsense) adage though that you shouldn't repeatedly unplug ear phones; damages the connections in the devices and phones apparently - anyway, this in mind I felt wireless might be a good solution when offered the chance to try these out.

Yes - to some degree - its pretty cool being able to switch "seamlessly" from PC to smart phone etc... but the negatives, which I'll get into, were enough that these have basically ended up connected by USB to my PC all the time and used for short periods only.

Positives first; they're lighter than I anticipated; the styling is very nice, and they are extremely high quality. They're plug & play simple (relatively!) and have all controls on one ear cup which becomes fairly easy to use when you're used to knowing where the buttons are.
And they fold small for transport. Oh and the cable connecting them is HUUUUGE, so you're not hunched over while listening - and its compatible with my Samsung Galaxy S3 so comes in very handy!
Also one charge lasts about 8 hours, which is plenty for any time Ive used them.

The sound though has to be the star when it comes to earphones - and I have to say yeah its very good; rich, deep and "echoey" in such a way as to replicate a very good effect of 3D sound. They handle a range of music genres fairly well (though certainly the sound doesn't blow away my Philips ones which, incidentally, are a tenth of the price!!) You can however manipulate the EQ if you wish(using the software you download for it) if you find they don't work perfectly on default for your music choice.
The best thing about the sound-performance though is that the cups do block out background noise brilliantly.

Negatives; To start, the Bluetooth set up is frustrating and took a lot of repeat trial and error, and for smart phones you need to download an app; not a big deal, but it means you have to activate the app to use them on your phone, which uses up more battery, shortening your listening time.
The most irritating negative for me is the software which, on my PC, has somehow installed a faulty pop-up that keeps asking me to register every time I turn on my PC - when I close it, it just reopens. Endlessly! I had to resort to disabling it on startup, because you cant uninstall it or they don't work.
They get HORRIBLY warm and "stuffy" over the ears, and I found my ears got very uncomfortable after about 20 minutes wear. Uncomfortable to the extent that I cant keep them on for say, the duration of a movie.
The headband has to be placed just so, otherwise it slides off your head - and after about 30 minutes of listening when you take them off your head feels like its been trapped in a vice!
Because of the head band slipping, despite being adjusted, and the sweaty clammy ear cups, I cant wear these for more than half an hour a time.
The volume is in a fiddly position, which you do get used to, but I often just had to take them off to change the volume.
And finally, because they slip so easily and readily - I wouldn't recommend wearing them while moving around. Which put paid to my ambitions of using them while exercising in place of my in-ear wired ones

So basically - the sound is good, but the execution is average. I'll stick to my in-ear ones for now.

5.0 out of 5 stars S'nice, 2 April 2014
I can't really comment on these as they were a gift for someone else, however. I have a pair of EVO zr's and the only difference I can see is the zr's have active noise cancelling and 50mm magnets. If you don't want to spend 250 notes on the zr's, get these instead. Be warned though. I got the zr's specifically for the 50mm magnets. These 40mm are a little small so if you have a big head these smaller ones will quickly become uncomfortable for you. These come with the usual creative gubbins, standard headphone cable, USB cable ( used for charging the headphones as well as PC connection) and a bag to keep everything safe. Also bear in mind lots of people give the creative headphone negative marks for sound quality but I have to say that it's usually down to user error. You'll need to download the creative app to set these puppies up. Done right and you'll soon have your ears bleeding from too much bass.