5.0 out of 5 stars The start of a wonderful series of books
Hearts of Gold is the first in a series of eight books following the fortunes of a small community in Pontypridd in Wales. They are set from before the second world war to just after it. Each book focuses on the same characters but from a a slightly different aspect although still entwining the story around all the characters. Through the books you follow the...
Published on 26 Feb. 2003 by Mrs L Hover

3.0 out of 5 stars Depressing
The tale is set in a South Wales mining town during the depression era, and the storyline reflected the bleakness era. I found it a very depressing read and struggled to get to the end of the book. Despite a vast amount of text there never seemed to be any real depth to the main characters. I persevered in the hope that at some stage the plot would pick up pace but it...
Published 10 months ago by Grammy

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read , highly recommended ., 11 April 2013
This review is from: Hearts of Gold (Paperback)
I have heard Catrin Collier quoted as the new Catherine Cookson , this may well be true . I have read all of the books in the Hearts of Gold collection and have found each one equally as enthralling , never wanting to put them down and yet not wanting to finish them . The characters leap out of the pages into your heart and mind . The books stand alone but I recommend reading the full series as the charscters and situations mature and evolve wonderfully .

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping family life in thirties Wales., 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Hearts of Gold (The Hearts of Gold Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this story of family life in Wales in the thirties. It shows very clearly and often amusingly the divide between the rich and poor classes, the rich seriously debating the merits of crushed or mushy ice in cocktails while the poor struggle to survive. When you think its going to be predictable there are slightly unexpected twists that keep you interested right to the end. I will certainly read the next in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Must Read' books, 11 April 2015
I somehow missed this one when I originally read (or thought I had) all the series set in Pontypridd area. You really feel you know the characters and, even though a number of the 'local' names are thinly disguised, it is a joy placing Catrin's characters in an area I know well. I also like the way you get references to characters when following a different person's story - which makes them utterly believable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend!, 8 Sept. 2014
I was looking for something to read whilst on holiday and as I usually like what I would call "sagas" that encompass several volumes this seemed ideal. I wasn't disappointed! I'm now on book 4. If you like an easy read and following a family through ups and downs over the years then you will enjoy reading Catrin Collier. I have enjoyed the first 4 books so far, I'm looking forward to the next 4!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
excellent author. depicts the era that she is writing about very well. would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series., 27 Jun. 2014
Having read the first two book on this ,the first of the series I guarantee you will want to read the rest, I have now bought all nine. Read six.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 27 Jun. 2014
What a read couldn't put it down. Get all the Hearts of gold series I enjoyed it that much thank you. And all catrin colliers books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Jun. 2014
I know want to get the whole series. Very well written and lovely family story. I can imagine all the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 30 May 2014
i started reading this series because this book, the first in the series was a free read and since have read them all.
It's not my preferred genre but Catrin had me hooked. Ive read the lot and loved them all. Very easy to buy into the characters. Looking forward to reading more from Catrin in the future

5.0 out of 5 stars Hearts of Gold, 15 May 2014
I am a big Catrin Collier fan and this book is part of a series that I am enjoying reading It is so easy to download to my kindle at a reasonable price. .

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›