5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read
I bought 'Little Beach Street Bakery' as I was looking for a light, easy read on my Kindle and it definitely didn't disappoint. I found myself being pulled into the story and really caring about the characters - it was sad in places, happy in others and made me laugh out loud more than once. A lovely read - especially for a holiday!
Published 6 months ago by Brownie_Queen

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and a bit depressing!
Published 2 months ago by Jilly V

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read, 7 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable reading, 30 Mar 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Beach Street Bakery (Kindle Edition)
This is a lovely story and has a real feel good factor about it. The main character, Polly, is written about in such a way that you actually begin to care about her and what happens! I loved the descriptions in the book - made me want to move house nearer the sea...

This book is light reading and enjoyable. The kind that you want to read in one sitting.

Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel good factor, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Little Beach Street Bakery (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book and didn't want it to end,for me it had everything beautiful Cornwall and the little puffin which somehow managed not to be naff,all the characters were believable and you wanted a happy ending for them all

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and a bit depressing!, 12 Aug 2014
Jilly V (Warwickshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
SPOILER ALERT!!! Hmmm - a bit disappointed with this book. I really like Jenny Colgan but this felt very like RHSOD (tortured hero, girl going it alone in a shop, irascible elderly person); also like TLCSIP (amateur cook becomes overnight success, likeable character written out for no good reason except to torture the hero and heroine a bit more) and it went on FOREVER. It was also absolutely far fetched beyond belief. I enjoy lots of romantic fiction so I can happily suspend my disbelief but there were elements of this book that were so silly that I just lost patience...... the heroine's ability to transform a derelict building into a working shop by sweeping the floor, her being given a million pound oven because she made some pancakes for a rich man, the heroine being able to single handedly bake enough bread to feed an entire small town, the dialogue, the plot, and don't get me started on the puffin! Actually I am now thinking that three stars may be generous, but it was nonetheless an enjoyable read and had some romantic moments. I just don't think I can forgive JC for killing off one of the best characters in the book, shortly after giving him a personality transplant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give more than a 5 star rating :0), 3 April 2014
This review is from: Little Beach Street Bakery (Kindle Edition)
If there is only 1 book you read this year then it has to be Little Beach Street Bakery. This novel definitely has the 'feel good factor'. There are lots of interesting characters in it & my favourites were Reuben & his relationship with Kerensa, Jayden & of course, the wonderful Neil! Please Jenny write a sequel

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely light hearted read, 5 Jun 2014
Missd (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Beach Street Bakery (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, i was swept away by the story and was smiling most of the way through, Pollys life goes from bad to worse from the breakdown of her long term relationship, no longer able to afford the flat she lived in she has no choice but to move away to a sleepy little village in Cornwall where she knows no one and has to live above an abandoned shop in a run down flat. Trying to make the most of her days since there's not a lot going on in the village she picks up a old hobby she used to love which was baking bread. Soon she has all the locals talking and they all want to sample her baking but not everyone is happy about her hobby, mainly her mean looking landlord who happens to be the local baker. This really is a lovely light read with a touch of romance chucked in too, it had me laughing out loud in places, mainly due to her rescued puffin bird which was so cute and funny and my favorite parts of the book. I would recommend to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great summer read if you like heart-warming, feel good stories, 14 Aug 2014
J. Mcglynn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Beach Street Bakery (Kindle Edition)
This was my first Jenny Colgan novel and I could not have picked a better story. This is the kind of feel-good book you can eat up in one sitting, because the characters and the storyline just flow and mould together so well.

Polly is at a tricky point in her life; the business she ran with her ex-boyfriend Chris, has just gone bankrupt and as she has no money and no job, she is looking to make a drastic change. Cue her move to the small island of Polbearne, miles away from everyone she knows, where she takes up residence in a rickety and rundown flat about an old bakery. Slowly, Polly begins to rebuild her life, and when she starts indulging in her favourite hobby of baking bread, she has no idea it is the catalyst which will completely change her life for the better.

I thought Polly was an incredibly likeable character, the sort of person you just warm to from the word go, and I was rooting it to all come good for her in the end. There weren't really any 'bad guy' type characters which I also really liked. Jenny Colgan seems to have captured the highs and lows for all of her characters in a way that seems very realistic. She makes it very easy to become invested in the characters, to understand their emotions and to really capture their stories.

Without wanting to give too much of the story away, there is a sad part, so you may want to have the tissues on hand. Or maybe that's just me being a big softie!

It is a really heart-warming story about following your dreams and the things you are passionate about, fantastically written, the story moves at a good pace and I can't wait to pick up one of her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute as a button, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Little Beach Street Bakery (Kindle Edition)
Oooo just gorgeous! I loved this sweet summer read from Jenny Colgan. Beautiful setting, cute characters and lots of yummy baking (with recipes in the back); what’s not to love?

My only gripe would be the misleading cupcake design on the front cover. Do not be fooled. Our heroine Polly is a lover of bread: perfectly baked, melt in your mouth, carbolicious bread and I, for one, agree with her and if you’re not with us yet you will be by the time you finish his book.

When Polly’s relationship breaks down after an official bankruptcy, the only place she can afford to live in a battered old flat in a tiny coastal village that is barely habitable. Lonely, broke and afraid of her menacing landlady Mrs Manse, Polly is miserable. The only thing that makes her happy and wins her friends is baking fresh bread…and a small, vivacious puffin.

Soon the locals have all fallen for Polly’s loaves and her warm, infectious personality. All except Mrs Manse who looks set to make her life hell. Can Polly be brave and pursue the life she wants? And will she manage to catch the eye of some of the tasty local crumpets?

This book is cute as a button and a must summer tale. Read it and be inspired to follow your heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, emotional holiday read, 19 Aug 2014
I don't know how, but this is the first book I've read by Jenny Colgan and it definitely won't be my last. Polly is a very likeable heroine who I engaged with immediately as she coped with bankruptcy and a failed relationship and very bravely steps out into a harsh environment on her own. She very quickly meets a cast of interesting and engaging characters, including fishermen, a bitter and grumpy landlady and an American beekeeper (who I couldn't help but visualise as Owen Wilson from the first meeting!). We spend a year with Polly and a puffin called Neil through the ups and downs of life in Polbearne, connected to the mainland by a causeway that is only accessible at low tide. The story had depth, but was written in a light and engaging way. I have read quite a few books that have recipes included, but for the first time I might actually try a few of them. I would recommend it as a perfect summer holiday read, especially if holidaying in Devon or Cornwall!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic escapism, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Little Beach Street Bakery (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book! The characters are wonderful and I want my very own Neil... Didn't want it too end and am feeling homesick for this fabulous place!

Little Beach Street Bakery