5.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly written
This book wasn't as good as previous books by J.D.Robb, I really missed Feeney and techs, but was cleverly written none the less. I'm not 1 for spoilers so all I'll say is its not as fast paced as her normal books, I missed that a bit, but enjoyed the slower pace.
Published 15 months ago by Mrs A Wells

I used to buy these hardbacks, despite the price, but with the last 5/6 releases, the books have become repetitive and I've been relying on my library. In fact, I only got this a month after its release and didn't even feel the need to chase the library as to when the book would come into stock - the books aren't something that I'm burning to read any more.

I...
Published 14 months ago by Roroblu's Mum

2.0 out of 5 stars Working to a formula, but going with the less is...less decision. Perhaps one of the last JD Robb that I read., 17 Mar. 2014
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Concealed in Death: 38 (Kindle Edition)

I think I found this book tiresome, as there's no deviation to the last few. The interaction with Eve's team was missing - I mean, Feeney didn't even merit a mention in this one, though McNab got about 2 lines of dialogue. Peabody wasn't her usual talkative self and there was no interaction between her and her co-hab, McNab, which makes for a lot of eye-rolling on Eve's part, and which provides the LOL moments in the tale. We had the same old, same old of Eve sort of goading someone into taking a swing at her, letting the other person get in an obligatory punch or two, then arresting and cuffing her for obstruction to an officer's duty and assault on an officer. Even Eve and Roarke's time together was fleeting and of the married-for-years variety of comfortable sex, not passionate sex. And yes, we had Roarke laying out her outfit for her, which is pretty boring now, frankly. Even Galahad barely made an appearance, and seemed to have lost his appetite for filching food off plates or interacting with Roarke and Eve. And yes, Roarke pretty much owning everything in New York and facilitating things for Eve with his 'here's the memo, read and memorise it' style of comms to all of his people, got a bit yesterday...Yes, Mavis made an appearance and had a connection to the case, but all of the above seemed like a basic formula that had to be fulfilled in a certain minimum amount, with that being the only stipulation.

That Eve cottoned on to the culprit so easily seemed a little unbelievable, but hey, she's Eve Dallas homicide cop extraordinaire, so you go with it, but the cases are becoming more and more extreme, and shouldn't be so quickly and easily solvable. Great detective work - actually, great Eureka moment on her part, but I think more clutching at straws than anything else.

What got me, is that at the end, neither the editor nor the author picked up that in the baddie's confession, a certain person got name-changed and referred to by the baddie's name. For an author with a fanbase of this size, with the editing power behind her, this is not acceptable; it's sheer lack of attention to detail/I-can't-be-bothered-ness. As a final test, I may check out the next tale, but I am wondering if that'll prove to be the nail in the coffin for me, as this whole one felt tired.

3.0 out of 5 stars Concealed in death, 18 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Concealed in Death: 38 (Kindle Edition)
I ve been waiting for this and it arrived today.sat and read it in one sitting.I want to know who wrote it.The 12 murders begin the story but the narrative is pedestrian.where is the edgy humour? The passion between Eve and Roarke.The Peabody who bounces around like a fire cracker ,and the fun between her and Mcnab.She doesn't insult Summerset and the rest of her team don t get a mention.Mavis gets a small mention in the middle but even though she has a past history with some of the dead,it seems glossed over quickly.if Nora did write this ,she must be having an off day.I really hope she is back on form for the next episode as I love all her books.I have every one of her Death books on the shelf.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 18 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Concealed in Death: 38 (Kindle Edition)
I did not enjoy this book as much as previous ones in this series, it seemed a bit watered down if you know what I mean and left me wondering if Nora has gone of the boil with Eve and Roarke, I hope not as I love the dynamic so lets hope the next one is back on course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly written, 27 Feb. 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable reading but not her best, 19 Feb. 2014
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Concealed in Death: 38 (Kindle Edition)
If you have read some or all of the previous books in this series then you will recognise some of the familiar elements - Roarke dressing Eve, Peabody's obsession with her weight, Roarke becoming more involved with the investigation than is feasible, various friends from previous novels getting a brief appearance, Eve having strange dreams, etc. etc. I am pleased to say that there is not too much of this referencing of previous novels and not all Eve's acquaintances from the past get a mention - there is just enough for the fan to be pleased to recognise it but to prevent new readers being totally lost.

The story in this novel centres around abused and lost young women who are found dead in a place where they should have been safe. This resonates with Eve because of her deprived background but the author doesn't dwell too much on this which is good as much has been made of Eve's trauma in the past and I really didn't want to read another book about it. The solution to the mystery is not impossible to work out for an experienced mystery novel reader but there is no real reasoning for how Eve reaches that conclusion; she seems to make an almighty leap of faith. Nevertheless the story is engaging and the investigation mostly makes coherent sense although there is a big coincidence at the heart of the book involving Mavis which is pushing credulity a little too far.

There is less of the soppy, family related material of the last book but also less amusing banter between the main characters, there were no real laugh out loud moments. The story is at the core of this book and there is still plenty of characterisation to make you engage with the people. There are two excellent new characters in a bones specialist previously known to Roarke and a young girl who seems to be everywhere - I wish more had been made of them and that the author had included them when tying up the loose ends at the finish of the book. I have to say that if this was the first book in the series rather than the 38th then I might not have given it four stars and I might have talked more about weaknesses in the plot and unbelievability. If you have read some or all of the previous novels then I think that you will enjoy this instalment - I certainly did - but it is difficult now to assess how much of that enjoyment arises from familiarity and pleasure in revisiting previous characters and situations and how much comes directly from this book itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another treat from J.D. Robb for fans of author opus and all the fans of mystery, 19 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Concealed in Death: 38 (Hardcover)
‘Concealed in Death’ is the thirty-eighth novel in ‘In Death’ series written by J.D. Robb with main character NYPD Lieutenant Eve Dallas, another work in a series of tense mystery thriller titles in which the worldwide audience will enjoy.

The novel begins when Roarke, Eve Dallas husband, will buy an old building and during its demolition process he will find two bodies wrapped in plastic behind the wall he demolished. He will call in his wife, Eve Dallas, for help and by the end of the day twelve bodies of young girls will be discovered behind the walls.
This building was once called The Sanctuary and served as a shelter for troubled and homeless teenagers; fifteen years ago the building was vacated while everyone moved into fabulous structure that was donated by one philanthropist, while The Sanctuary remained vacant all those years.

When the investigation of found bodies will be completed, the terrible truth will be revealed that for all them the shocker was cause of death. And suddenly Eve will discover that there is a connection between the found victims and the person she knows; and she will not stop until finding out what happened to those sad girls many years ago, that waited for justice so long…

J.D. Robb latest work ‘Concealed In Death’ will be a real treat for fans of author opus and all those who love the mystery genre, and have not previously read the J.D. Robb works. I read six or seven books in ‘In Death’ series, but of those I read it seems this is the most complicated case that Eve Dallas ever worked on, a real jigsaw puzzle with which she deals on this 400-page novel.

Except standard motifs that permeate the author's books which make them the real page turners, inside its covers author introduced additional emotional motives that are not so common in her work, thus making this story even more interesting to read.

Therefore recommendations certainly go to all those who previously have read and enjoy J.D. Robb, while those who decide to embark on after reading this work, will certainly want to read some of her earlier published titles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dallas., 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Concealed in Death: 38 (Kindle Edition)
I've always enjoyed all of the books written by JD Robb, but somehow this one didn't quite grab me as the others did, I enjoyed it but was a bit disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her best books., 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Concealed in Death: 38 (Kindle Edition)
I was disappointed by this book because the murderer was revealed far too early in the book. consequently the story lacked pace and tension.

3.0 out of 5 stars 12 cold cases, 28 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Concealed in Death: 38 (Paperback)
Lt Eve Dallas has a very cold case on her hands: 12 bodies, killed over a decade ago, and many of them delinquent runaways who nobody cared about then, or now. And when it starts to look like the killer might also be dead, then why should anyone care? But Eve, of course, cares.

This provides an interesting bit of backstory to Mavis, and to her original relationship with Eve, but not much else about the various characters.

This provides yet another example of why caring matters, and the devastating effect that murder has on those left behind. Here, although many of the murdered girls are abused runaways, some are not, and we see the effect on their families even these many years later. It’s one of the good things about this series; although there is a lot of gruesome killing, this is always shown to cause suffering to friends and families: the victims do not exist in a vacuum, there only to provide a hook for the crime.

2.0 out of 5 stars Concealed in death, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Concealed in Death: 38 (Kindle Edition)
Loved the Eve Dallas books, but this one is awful. There is no excitement in it, missing are Feeney and the other members of her department. It gives you the impression that she has run out of ideas and doesn't know where to go next. I have bought all of her books but if the next one doesn't improve it will be the last - shame because I really enjoyed them and would have given all the previous books a 5 star rating.

Concealed in Death: 38