5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic and witty with moments that will touch your heart
This was my first book by Lucy-Anne Holmes so I wasn’t sure what to expect, but after finishing Just A Girl Standing In Front Of A Boy, I can say I’m very much looking forward to reading more of her novels!

Published 10 months ago by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Missing
Wow, there was a bit too much going on in this book for my liking.
The main character had suffered from depression, family problems, relationship problems and that was just for starters.
It moved along very quickly though so I seemed to race through reading it.
Published 6 months ago by jg

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic and witty with moments that will touch your heart, 3 Feb 2014
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Jenny Taylor finally has things worked out in her life, but after meeting musician Joe King her life is turned upside down, and then on top of that boyfriend Matt proposes. And then her mum unexpectedly turns up too and Jenny’s life is thrown up in the air…

I really enjoyed this – I opened the first page and I was soon swept up in Jenny and her world, I didn’t want this book to end!

Lucy-Anne Holmes writes with such ease, the words flow beautifully and every chapter moves seamlessly from one to the next. Her humour is just brilliant and she had me giggling and smiling. There are also more serious moments that made my heart ache, and I had a few tears too. If I’m honest it just made me love the story that much more, wow.

The characters were wonderfully written – I immediately loved Jenny, her personality shone from the pages and I was really rooting for her throughout. The great thing about Jenny is that she is SO relatable, I really cared about what happened to her and I’m sure many readers like myself will instantly connect with her.

I LOVED the men in this, especially Joe King! He is handsome, charming, funny and oh how I wished he were real!

Just A Girl Standing In Front Of A Boy is romantic and witty, with a few moments that will really touch your heart. This is a truly stunning story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Something Missing, 23 Jun 2014
Wow, there was a bit too much going on in this book for my liking.
It moved along very quickly though so I seemed to race through reading it.
I have rated it as OK and I wouldn't actively seek out other books by this author. Others have obviously felt differently about it but I didn't really form a favourable opinion of the main character or any of the others for that matter and this affected how I felt about the book overall.The ending was also very far fetched!
Not a bad book but for me lacked the feel good factor and I much preferred other books that I have read and reviewed recently.

5.0 out of 5 stars great to make you smile, 14 Feb 2014
This review is from: Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy (Kindle Edition)
I brought this book and Loved it so much I went on and brought all the others from this writer.. Chick lit definitely but well written, fun and addictive with characters you actually care about.. perfect chilled out reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Charming, 11 Feb 2014
I really loved this book. Jenny Taylor is not your typical chick lit lead- she's a witty and slightly dirty mouthed receptionist with bright pink hair. I found that to be a refreshing change. She is afraid of getting hurt like she has been in the past, so she accepts the proposal of her dull but safe boyfriend Matt. Everything seems to be going smoothly, if not that happily, until Joe King walks into her life and makes her realise how much more there could be to her life- if she is brave enough to go for it.
This is a romantic novel but my favourite aspects were the relationships between Jenny and her best friend Phillipa and Jenny and her mother. It was great to read about positive female relationships. And between the moments of romance and humour there were some genuinely heartbreaking moments that I did not see coming. This novel has a brilliant balance of fun, love and tears and I would recommend it not just to chick-lit fans but to anyone who loves a good story with vibrant characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Fun, 3 Feb 2014
ACB(swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy (Kindle Edition)
As soon as the first page is turned, the floodgates open and a torrent of humorous dialogue and adventure pours forth. This is such a headstream of fun taken at a pace where the reader has to stop and pause for breath. The protagonist, 27 year old Jenny (Fanny) and her best friend and ex-schoolmate, Philippa race through life as if tomorrow doesn't exist. Jenny had a hard childhood. Her father hated her. She was bullied at school. She has been given a list of 10 things each day to do by Philippa to alleviate Jenny's 'depression'.

This she does for 6 years when she meets Matt who proposes marriage, eventually. Jenny sees this as, 'not a heady love, it's a sensible love and it feels safe'. Fine, until she meets rock musician Joe King and the sexual chemistry kicks in. This ties in with the arrival of Pam, Jenny's 54 year old mother, who finds her husband has been having an affair. Pam regresses to a wild life-style of men, drink and hangovers. The mother-daughter bond becomes stronger as her relationship with Matt flounders.

Jenny is a loveable character and appealing lady surrounded by a bunch of zany friends in a bizarre world. Although the humour runs off the author's pen like water from a tap, there are moments of sadness that crop up. The moral is that if you are a girl standing facing a boy, don't tell him you love him. Lucy-Anne Holmes has written a witty, fun-packed book aimed straight at the reader with a message and honesty. An easy, wonderful and engaging novel that may lead you to look more closely at relationships.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your usual chick lit. Fabulous, 1 Oct 2014
Michelle Read (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
When I picked this book up I was intrigued but thought it was the usual chick lit book, how wrong I was. It took me a couple of chapters to get into it as I wasn't used to the writing style, but I soon got swept along with the brilliantly honest and humorous writing. It was a wonderful story, unconventional, yes, but I liked that. It resonated with my own life in ways so I couldn't help laughing and crying along with the story. This is the first book I've read of lucy's and I'm now racing to get her other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars many a late night had!! lol!, 16 Aug 2014
This review is from: Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy (Kindle Edition)
I loooovveed this book! I've read all of Lucy-Anne's' books and they have all been fabulous!

It's funny that sometimes the books you choose often mimic your life or touch you for certain reasons and as an 'unlucky in love' girl, it's strangely comforting to read stories with happy endings when reality can be abit pants!

Beautifully entertaining and wonderfully written!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic read! Made me laugh out loud and cry but enjoyed every page, I will defiantly be reading more of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy (Kindle Edition)
Great read predicable, but really enjoyed it

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy (Kindle Edition)
I laughed, I cried, what a brilliant story. Struggled to put it down after I downloaded it on a whim and glad I did.

Just a Girl, Standing in Front of a Boy