Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now

on 11 January 2014
have looked forward to Skyler's story since her introduction to the series and felt the story lived up to my expectations. My only complaint is the 20% (according to my Kindle) that is a repeat of the Carpathian chants/ history/ vocabulary that have accomplnnied that last half dozen books- bring an end to them or drop the price 20% to make up for it. I don't buy 6 copies of any book why would I want 6 copies of a chapter?
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 January 2014
When I first started reading the Dark Carpathian series I ordered each book as soon as available. Over the last couple of years I have only purchased when I couldn't find anything else to read. For me the books were more sex than romance and had `lost something'. However in Dark Lycan I felt the style went back to the first books so I immediately bought Dark Wolf. I am not sorry I did. I thought the story line and portrayal of Dimitri and Skyler were excellent, improved on even more by that the fact that they were so many old and new characters. The `plot' is set for many more books - I hope these are in the same writing style as the last two.
on 8 January 2014
This one of the longer books in the 'Dark' series and is fairly packed with action. At first I thought the whole book would be taken up with Skyler's rescue of Dimitri, but it proved to have a much longer and more complicated plot which will enable Christine Feehan to extend this series while keeping it fresh. And, it was nice, for a change, that a 'human' female actually outsmarted both Carpathians and Lycans alike and managed to do what all the ancient Carpathians couldn't!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've been waiting for this book since I first read Dark Guardian in Gabriel and Francesca's story, way back in book seven of this series. Skyler came to them as a damaged young girl, but, it seemed, with a pre-destiny to be a lifemate to one of the Carpathian men, who had a link to wolves.

Here we are, eighteen books later, and her story is now being told. We've met Skyler and Dimitri in previous books and due to Skyler's disturbing past as a child sex slave, I always wondered how CF would bring her story out, consider all her books are filled with romance and erotic deeds.

I was a little bit let down that more than anything their story took so long to get going, and Skyler's connection with Dimitri was talked about so repetitively that I wondered if she'd ever get beyond his rescue--from the scenario set up in Dark Lycan. But after seemingly taking her time for the new couple, considering Skyler's troubling past, and the fact she was only 19 years old, once the couple reached a certain point it was business as usual. And there was nothing different about them than any other Carpathian couple.

I have loved the Carpathian series ever since I first discovered it, and I have bought every book as and when it was released (in paperback). CF has managed to see her way through some massive plots within the series and cleverly invented new dilemmas to keep challenging the Carpathian race. But I do wonder if now is a good point to break with the series, as despite the new larger plots, the writing in each book; the relationships and the action, all follow the exact same blue print.

With the release of Dark Blood already slated for Sept 2014, I am torn. There's a taster at the end of Dark Wolf which I have so far refrained from reading. But at the end of this book there's also all the normal translations and Carpathian culture, which I know from reading other people's reviews hardly anyone reads and everyone finds frustrating as they want more story rather than lessons in Carpathian. Dark Wolf is no different in this respect either; the story ends abruptly and leave a rather sour taste when you consider there are over 50 pages remaining which could have been used to give us more Skyler and Dimitri.

I am on the brink of falling out of love with this series.
on 8 January 2014
Wow!! This book is amazing well worth the money! You fall in love with the characters all over again. Skylers such a inspiration in this book. It makes me want to read the whole series again! I love the way the plot unfolds and the surprises that happen.
Definitely a must have in your collection. I would recommend reading the book where skyler in rescued first x
on 15 February 2014
I'm a fan of this author and have really enjoyed this series. It's hard to review something that is an auto buy for me as I would buy these books regardless of price or hype. It's a series that has inspired many imitators and although the Carpathians in these books are not strictly vampires there's definitely a lot of blood taking involved!
This book gives readers the story of Skyler who has been a character on the fringes previously but now steps up to try and save her man. What a man Dimitri is! He's known for a long time that Skyler is his destined life mate but has never claimed her. Instead he's waited for her to grow up but has forever been there as a part of her life whenever she needed him. Now Dimitri is in trouble and no one seems to realise that this could be the end for him. Skyler will undertake a journey to save him but in doing so she may just help save all those that she loves . Treachery is closer than the Carpathians realise and war looks to be imminent .
I have really enjoyed this series but will admit that I started to get a little disenchanted as sometimes they started to feel too similar . I'm so pleased that the author has injected a new breath of life into them and the more recent tales have opened up a world of possibilities. Yes we still get the sexy bits but the world building has expanded to include additional species and newer characters. As for the characters I loved seeing the younger ones step up and start to shine. Those arrogant ancient Carpathians sometimes need to realise that humans , females and those they consider to be children have a lot to give and luckily in this story that's just what happens.
The plot is set to continue I feel as Ms Feehan has set things in motion with this story that will need to play out. As usual the writing and editing is excellent but I personally would like a little less "chanting" but that's a minor niggle. A series that's probably best read in order if I'm honest but certainly not to be missed.
on 16 January 2014
This is my all time favourite series, and although it's a long one, Christine Feehan never disappoints. The book was once again the highest of standards, taking us readers into the magical world of the Carpathians. With each book I read it's like visiting with old friends.

We first met Skyler as a child in Gabriel and Francesa story and have watched her grow into the strong and very gifted young women she has become, wow who knew ? Dimitri a centuries old hunter has wowed me with the support, love and patience he showed Skyler over the years, knowing she was his lifemate, he waited for her to mature and come to accept him, before claiming her.

I had thought of Skyler as a little timid thing, so was completely surprised when she set out to rescue Dimitri, when he was captured by the Lycans. Only she could find him, their bond so special. Such a warm sweet romance that bloomed and grew into such Hot passion for each other, was just wonderful.

This story really stirred my emotions, Josef, Paul and Skyler more like sibling had me laughing at their antics, and just about crying at times too. Can't wait for those boys to find their lifemates. Fen and Zev loved their banter as they poked fun at each other.
This was an action packed, thrilling story that left us wanting to know more of Zev and his intriguing parentage, so who was his grandmother I wonder. Does Bronnie know he is her lifemate is that why she tied his spirit to hers when he was injured, all question I hope are answered in Dark Blood, can't wait for September and more from my loved Carpathians.
A BIG Thank you to Christine Feehan for giving us a Fantastic story.
on 16 January 2014
I've been waiting almost 10 years for the story of Skylar and Dimitri and after book 1 of this trilogy (within the dark series) I knew it was going to be a cracker and I wasn't disappointed. IT WAS AWESOME!

There was so much action in this book, a lot of tense moments where I wanted to read it peaking through my fingers, like that could shield me from the tension.

There are lots of cameos and bit parts from other Carpathian couples, all tied into the storyline and it was great to see them again. It was also great seeing the younger generation featuring more. Joseph is turning into a great character and I want to see more of him in later books.

Skylar has really come into her own in this book and it was beautiful seeing how she had grown and grown towards her lifemate. She loved Dimitri fiercely and it was really heartwarming how they fought for each other and made each other stronger without descending into smoochy sentimentality.

I can't wait to read the final part of this trilogy and get the answers to the questions that have been building throughout this book and Dark Lycan.

If you haven't read a Dark Series novel before, this is not the place to start but if you picked up the book before this - Dark Lycan - you'd be in the right place to pick up the series as this trilogy seems to be taking the series in a new and exciting direction!
on 22 February 2014
Skyler Daratrazanoff always recognized the miracle that was Dimitri Tirunul, a man beyond any dream that had ever engaged her nights. But Skyler is human....vulnerable, nineteen and destined to age and die. Dimitri is Carpathian, ancient, and nearly immortal. But she holds half his soul, she's the light to his darkness, and without her, he will not survive.

Dimitri is caught between the two warring species and has spent centuries hunting the undead to keep his people free and the humans safe. When other's have chosen to give up their souls, he has chosen to fight honourably. Now, marked for extermination by the Lycans Dimitri finds himself alone and fearing for his life.

But Salvation is coming. No Lycan would ever suspect someone like Skyler would dare to mount a secret rescue operation. A teenage human girl. A human of untested abilities. But Skyler has something no-one else does. She's predestined for Dimitri....as he is for her. There is nothing stronger for Skyler than her desire to see her life dream to come true, no matter the risk.

I find myself hesitant to type this review. I enjoyed the other books, I haven't read all of them, but I've read enough of them. Fans have been waiting a hell of a long time for this book, and so I don't think my comments will be appreciated. I just felt disappointed with this book.

It's gotten to the stage where there are so many books in this series, they probably can't help how repetitive they are. The plot and it's action is very repetitive from the other books, the romance was only meh instead of "omg wow". I find myself reluctant to continue this series at this stage with all the repetitiveness.

The romantic set up is different in this book, as our couple already know each other and are already in love with each other. Skyler's past childhood abuse is the tension in this romance, and if it will allow her to have a sexual relationship with Dimitri, rather than the much done hating the "mate" status and fighting it that is present in most books with wolves. Skyler's reactions and feelings and past where dealt with sensitively, with respect and realistically.

We had some humour in this book which is usually lacking in the others. Skyler's relationships with Paul and Josef add the humour that is needed to break up the action of the book. Other fans will appreciate seeing previous characters, for example Gabriel and Francesca, Skyler's adopted parents, and Fen amongst others.
The Lycan Civil War plot has been building now for a few books, and is the main part of the plot of Dark Wolf. There's tonnes of action and fight scenes, with as I previously mentioned, some humour interspersed.

My main issue with Dark Wolf is the repetitiveness. There's so much repetitiveness with the chants, the descriptions of the sex scenes as well as the action scenes where the same, and there's so much overuse of the made up Carpathian language and words that just wears you down when it comes to the 25th book. The world doesn't evolve, the series is like one long book. I wanted to love it, but I just found myself bored and a bit tired.

I feel I should also mention that the intensity of the relationship was gone. All of the interesting stuff about Skyler and Dimitri was missing. Dimitri who previously would have freaked out and been all over protective if he knew she was going to enter a Lycan camp to save him, he was intense, but the Dimitri in this book was just kind of....blah. He was half hearted when telling her not to come and get him. I find myself skimming alot of the boring filler scenes, and that leaves me with not alot left. It was just...boring. And ended very abruptly. There was an opportunity to use angst and emotional turmoil for Skyler that was never taken.

Dark Wolf was a huge disappointment.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 January 2014
The twenty-fifth book in the Dark series is an action packed and intriguing read.

Human and vulnerable, Skylar Daratrazanoff, has always recognized the miracle that is the ancient hunter, Dimitri Tirunul, a carparthian who has been marked for death by the Lycans. As his destined lifemate, Skylar has the ability to find where the Lycans have imprisoned him and of course they would never suspect a young teenage girl to attempt to rescue the ancient guardian.

This fast plot keeps the readers on the edge of their seat with lots of action and suspense. The author brings the story to life with vivid descriptions that make the reader feel as if they are part of the story and the wonderful and compelling characters are easily related to and grab the reader's attention.

The attraction between Skylar and Dimitri is red hot and sizzling and the sex scenes are scorching hot, but the relationship between them is one made of legends in this world. Dimitri has lived with the darkness for centuries waiting for the chance to claim his lifemate, but he waited and was very patient with the young Skylar. He loved and protected her from a distance to give her the time she needed to be able to accept him as her mate. Skylar gives new meaning to the words overcoming adversity she beat all the odds and survived a horrific past to become a strong and worthy mate for such a warrior.

The author created this mesmerizing world of vampires that has evolved to be so much more, it is believable and just keeps getting more and more intriguing. I love all the wonderful characters and stories in the series so far and I love how all the characters remain a part of every story and conflict. The author manages to impart information in the stories that give the reader's hints of what has been happening to each character personally so that they can stay up to date. Skylar and Dimitri's story is one I have been waiting impatiently to read and I have to say that it is one of my favorites of the series. As always I will wait impatiently for the next one.