4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Neat Shaver That Does the Job.
Like most men I find shaving a complete chore. For most of my adult life I have always wet shaved and only used an old electric shaver and handful amount of times. I was never overly impressed with the feel and finish of an electric shaver, but after using this Philips shaver I was almost instantly converted.

I had to keep the Shaver on charge for a good few...
Published 10 months ago by Astore Stargazer

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Philips Shaver I have owned
Published 3 months ago by R. Shaw

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Neat Shaver That Does the Job., 13 Nov 2013
Astore Stargazer (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Philips AquaTouch AT899/16, Wet and Dry Fully Waterproof Shaver with Flexing Heads (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I had to keep the Shaver on charge for a good few hours before using it and I was sceptical that it could ever give me a closer shave than a wet shave could. I was wrong. The 3 heads on the shaver gives you an extremely close shave and I was impressed at just how smooth it was. You can also wet shave with the shaver and I tried this also, but I reverted back to using it dry. It probably took my skin about a week to adapt to the dry electric shaves but it is totally worth it. No more expensive razor heads and shaving foam, just a straight forward recharge and you are good to go for around 5 or 6 shaves, the only slight downside is that you tend to need more shaves per week.

My beard is extremely think so I probably get less shaves than most men do after the battery has been recharged and I would estimate that a guy with less beard thickness would probably get 7 or 8 shaves out of the battery per recharge. But I certainly couldn't go back to wet shaving now. I am totally converted to the electric shaver and this is the highest praise I could possibly give this device.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good wet, terrible dry!, 5 Feb 2014
J. Stark "hank_hill" (scotland) - See all my reviews
I have flirted with electric shavers for the last 20 odd years, never being completely happy with the results but liking the convenience.

Like a lot of people I have a sensitive neck area. I could shave the rest of my face with broken glass, but as soon as the neck gets the slightest abrasion it comes out in a rash. Electric shaver companies usually disclaim this by saying you need to persevere for 2 week....Yeah I'm going to continue dragging spinning discs over heavily damaged skin until it just gets used to it!

My last flirtation was with the cool skin model. unfortunately you had to pay loads for refills , and the concept was flawed anyway...You need to apply the moisturiser before not during the shave .

Anyway I got a £5 surprise voucher from amazon and thought I would give this model a go. My first Impression wasn't great, I didn't look any better than a model I had 10 years ago which had the same swivelling head formation. I decided to dive in at the deep end and try a dry shave. This was a BIG mistake. Even when shaving I could feel it tugging, and even my normally indestructible chin area was feeling a bit raw. A few minutes later and my neck was glowing red, and an ugly rash formed. It took 48 hours and a lot of sudocreme to calm down.

A few days later I decided to try again , bit wet this time. Instead of shaving foam I used a post shave moisturiser I happen to have a load of this stuff) and the difference was night and day. The shave was close and my neck was only slightly red. Now this kind of perseverance I can handle. A couple of shaves later and my neck is almost pink!

It does seem to work better with longer stubble. which is unusual for electric shavers. As WET shaver this is almost good enough to make me through the mach3 away. However as a quick dry shave when late in the morning? don't even go there!

4.0 out of 5 stars Go Anywhere at a Great Price, 19 Nov 2013
The Honest Cynic (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Few brands offer a close and comfortable shave, Philips however are one that do. The solid build quality and ergonomic shape means that it's comfortable to hold, balanced, and the well placed and engineered power switch and display means that when you've packed for that all important holiday you can trust you shaver will still be charged when you get to your destination. The `comfort cut' shaving heads and `Skin Glide' surface allow for a close but comfortable shave. The `Wet & Dry' feature allows for the use of foam or not, giving you more choice. And the easy clean flip cap means you can simply rinse the head under the tap when switched on.

Despite it's rather obvious recycled box material and no frills interior, the shaver is securely packaged and comes with power adaptor (to 2 pin shaver plug), a brush for cleaning, plastic head cap and the usual paperwork. I was slightly disappointed not to see a small case or neoprene pouch which some of the others in the Philips range do. I would debate the 8 hour charge and 45mins shaving times with Philips but for most, the battery will hold up just fine. The Lithium Ion battery itself usually guarantees several good years of battery life before you'll notice any sort of degradation. As someone who doesn't shave every day, I did find the Aqua Touch wasn't quite as good for cutting after a few days growth as some others and found myself going over the same spot a few times more than I would expect, but for the price and build quality, it's a shaver you can't argue with and will make any gentleman a happy soul come Christmas day.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Philips Shaver I have owned, 19 Jun 2014
R. Shaw "Powersec" (Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to replace a Philips Coolskin shaver that you can no longer get replacement heads/cutters for. Shame on Phillips that they no longer supply these parts. Back to the AT899-I have used this for several weeks and it does NOT give a close shave. In comparison to my last two Philips shavers, this is a poor imitation. It appears to lack power, resulting in a not too close shave. My only consolation is that I did not pay full price as it was discounted by 60%. This is so poor that I have went back to my old Coolskin, which shaves better. No wonder it was so heavily discounted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shaver, 12 Oct 2013
The AT 899/ 16 is a undoubtedly a good shaver. I got this as a replacement for AT 896 under guarantee which I had purchased December last year. Philips customer care team was excellent. Just gave them a ring and said the shaver had stopped working. They asked me the serial number on the shaver and my postal address and ordered me a AT 899/ 16. I also had to upload the receipt on the website. However, I wasn't very happy because of the lack of a pop up trimmer in the AT 899. Sadly, they didn't have a AT 896 in stock and asked me if I need a PT 860 which is not aquatouch or if I needed a refund. I said I'll manage with the AT 899. I believe they have received many complains on the AT 896. That's the reason they are not giving it as a replacement.

What's good?
It functions exactly the same as AT 896.
Better looking (total Black!)

What's bad?
Charging time- 8 hours for a 45 min shave
No pop up trimmer

Overall a good shaver! And, excellent customer service!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for wet shave, 14 Dec 2013
This was bought for me as a gift during the mad amazon sale week when me and my girlfriend appeared to have lost out minds and bought a lot of gifts for each other. I have used this shaver three times now..twice wet and once dry and I have to say it shaves and feels a LOT more comfortable on the wet shave. This is and was my first time ever using an electric shaver for wet shaving and I was a little sceptical but I am now sold!!! I decided, for the purpose of research and testing, to see how it would perform as a dry shaver and I found it a little too "harsh" on the skin. I am a Philips man and I had to complete the shave using my trusty James Bond special edition Philishave. I will keep it for wet shaves and alternate between wet and dry shaves as my mood suits me. If you are unsure of this shaver as a wet shaver dont hold back!!! Go ahead and buy it...you wont be disappointed..it shaves clean and leaves the skin smooth and irritation free!

3.0 out of 5 stars Austerity strikes, 12 Oct 2013
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Philips shaver delivers its core functionality effectively but falls below the line in some important areas - it might be a "no frills model" but the cost cutting has gone too far. On the positive side the three "Comfort" cutting heads are sprung and give a reasonably close shave, plus, do not seem to irritate my skin like some other shavers do. Ergonomically, the shape is good making the shaver easy to hold and manoeuvre. Also,the fact that the unit is waterproof means that you can simply rinse it under the tap and let it dry out - this is a genuinely useful feature but common on most shavers now.

On the face of it all sounds positive so far but there are a number of downsides to the Philips AT899/16. Firstly, the charging time is 8 hours to give you 45 minutes of shaving time - most rechargeable appliances now work for as long as they take to charge or even longer - this aspect of performance is not in line with contemporary standards/expectations. In addition, the battery charge remaining isn't clearly indicated - given the length of time charging takes you need to plan for it so a clear indication of an impending depleted battery is essential. Also, there's no built in trimmer for sideburns etc. - in the past few shavers have been made without this feature and its absence takes cost cutting to a new extreme. The same also applies to absence of a case - yes, a flimsy plastic cover is supplied for the cutters but no case, again, this is a new low.

I had a look round at other brands of shaver in this price range and whilst it is hard to know how well they actually shave, most of them do incorporate a trimmer and battery indicator plus significantly shorter charging time. In summary, the shaving performance of this unit is good but it is simply too austere even allowing for its price and market position.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's easy to use, but no first time clean shave.., 12 Oct 2013
First impressions were good. Nice design, good weight to it and easy to use with shaving gel and cleaning afterwards. But the performance lets it down. I cannot get clean first shave, need to shave twice and even then reaching the edges and nooks to ensure no missing bristles. So it takes twice as long as a wet razor would without a guaranteed close shave at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good basic shaver, 3 Oct 2013
uncle barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are looking for a good basic shaver of this design, this model is a good option. It doesn't come with add-ons or gadgets. If you want a intigratated sideburn or beard trimmer, you need to order a different model such as:

Philips RQ1195/17 SensoTouch wet and dry electric shaver

If you want the upgrade including the automatic cleaner, this is quite pricey and I don't think it does anything more than you can do manually with a brush. And the cleaning gadget does take up bathroom shelf space.

Philips Senso Touch Wet and Dry Electric Shaver with Jet Clean System

The instructions are minimal and pictorial so I recommend viewing the instructional video above. I was interested to learn that the casing is entirely waterproof and you can shave while showering. I have never been in this much of a hurry but suffice it to say that, to clean or rinse of foam, it is perfectly safe to run it under the tap. The lack of instructions is no real problem since you simply charge and go.

I charged mine for eight hours initially as the instructions stated. However, subsequently I have found it charges much quicker after the initial charge.

It gives a comfortable close shave if you're shaving every day. You do not need to apply much pressure while shaving which makes it good for anyone whose skin is easily irritated. It's not that great for heavy stubble, though.

The RRP seems a little steep which is why I docked it 1 star, but I would recommend this shaver as an everyday basic appliance providing you can get it for a good price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Phillips Aqua Touch AT899/16 Wet and Dry Shaver Black, 13 Jun 2014
Mrs. S. A. Neal (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
On charge for several hours but dit not work. returned and full refund.

Have had two previous Phillips shavers which were excellent