5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 23 Aug 2014
brenda (LADERA RANCH, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conversations with the Golf God (Kindle Edition)
“Conversations with the Golf God” by Robert K. Swisher Jr. is an upbeat, feel good little treasure. I love Mr. Swisher’s writing style and inspirational outlook. This book brought a smile to my face even though I am not a golfer. Not even a miniature golfer. I hate to lose and I always seem to be having an off day.

This is a good hearted book that was a great escape from just about anything I could be doing. I was amused and entertained. I found this to be an endearing read that I would highly recommend. You don’t have to play golf to enjoy this sweet little story. I love to laugh and this one had me giggling out loud.

Quote ~

“The Golf God was sitting comfortably in my recliner sipping on a cold beer. Scrutinizing the Golf God closely I didn’t know if I had been truly blessed or not. Looking the way he does if he had not been a God I would have kicked him out of my house knowing he would only leave after eating all my food and drinking all my beer.”

5.0 out of 5 stars "I Don't Play Golf": A Paradox, 22 Aug 2014
Thomas Baker (Santiago, Chile) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Conversations with the Golf God (Kindle Edition)
It is a paradox to read the reviews and discover how many people who read this book but don't play golf. I include myself in this phenomenon. I also, "don't play golf." I think that is one of the most interesting features of this book. It doesn't matter whether you play golf or don't play golf. The book is enjoyable no matter whether you play the game or not. Is this book any good? Yes, it is enjoyable, it is entertaining, it is hilarious. If you like a book that makes you laugh until the tears roll down your face and your sides hurt from laughing so much, get this excellent book. You won't regret it.

Reviewed by Thomas Jerome Baker
Author of How to Coach a Debate Team (Volume 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very funny read, 28 Aug 2014
This review is from: Conversations with the Golf God (Kindle Edition)
I'm not very good at golf and to be honest, I enjoy the walk around the course as much as I enjoy hitting the ball. This is a light read. It's funny, well constructed, and left me feeling, as I should, able to enjoy a game of golf without taking myself too seriously.

I take my golf hat off to Mr Swisher.Jr, who makes me laugh in all his novels.
He is a humourist and he is also a very good writer. This short read is for readers who want to be entertained but it is also for those amongst us, who like to dream about being very good at a sport, and not put off it when it turns out you're not very good, at all.

Well done, sir, for giving me another entertaining while in your company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Conversations with the Golf God (Kindle Edition)
I don’t play golf but, I have been listening to conversations between one boss and his golfing buddies for better than twenty years. So I had a bit of insight into the allure the game has for those addicted. In Alaska is is an addiction without question. Players here wait as they agonize over when the course will be dry enough to play.
This book had me laughing as I recalled some of the conversations over the years. I thoroughly enjoyed this look into the psyche of players. Well written with style and panache, it is a great read. I know a golfer who is going to receive a copy of this book. I’m positive he will be reading and rereading this one. Well done Mr. Swisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for a golfer., 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Conversations with the Golf God (Kindle Edition)
A gem of a read, I chuckled throughout. If you have a golfer in your life, this very funny book would be the perfect gift. But you don't have to be a golfer to enjoy it. I don't play myself but could relate the stories to the sports I do pursue.
For humour to work, the writer needs a keen understanding of human nature and Mr Swisher has oddles of the stuff.

“Why do people play golf?”
“It’s really very simple, golfers are dreamers, we embrace hope and never give up on the dream.”

A highly entertaining short read, I'd recommend to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Conversations with the Golf God (Kindle Edition)
“Conversations with the Gold God” by Robert K. Swisher Jr. is a light hearted and very entertaining book about golf. In its brilliant satiric style it mimics “Conversations with God”, a book that I have read and love myself, without any disrespect to it, I hasten to add.
With great sense of humour Swisher tells the history of human kind with a focus on Golf, and so he walks us through the Genesis and the early history of human kind with the focus on how the game and the Golf God himself came into existence. I did not expect to like the book this much, but its charm and wit are irresistible and will have you in stitches, just like it did with me. Whether it is his musings about the Romans, the land “where the Elephants don’t like it”, anecdotes about golfing, gaming stories or tips on golf play itself, Swisher has a wonderful way of making fun of himself and his sport, combining all too human observations and common sense with sound knowledge of the game.
Maybe it is because I live next to a golf club in the UK, but I seriously chuckled throughout this book. A very enjoyable treat.

Conversations with the Golf God
Conversations with the Golf God by Robert K Swisher Jr.