5.0 out of 5 stars A Riotous Read!
I read this book in one the-rest-of-life-can-go-hang-type sitting.

Published on 13 Feb 2012 by Leigh Forbes

3.0 out of 5 stars Suz
A story of Sam Sweet and a section of her life. The part where she is living with Simon and comes to the realization that she doesn't really like him, let alone love him. Her mom however has the full wedding and grand kids planned out as far as booking the venue and buying the dress.
Sarah writes with a lot of wit and keeps the reader entertained on this journey of...
Published 13 months ago by Book-Shelf

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Riotous Read!, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: EXPECTED (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in one the-rest-of-life-can-go-hang-type sitting.

Curvy, insolvent, cat-loving Sam, does all that is expected of her. She lives with Simon (who has everything going for him, except kindess, sensitivity, or any kind of sex appeal), and marriage and children seem next on the agenda. But whose agenda? Sam is trapped, mostly by the balance on her credit card(s) and her emotionally dependant mother, and just when it looks as though things couldn't get any worse, her job falls on the line. Sam flounders her way through backstabbing, manipulation, emotional abuse and crossed-wires (not to mention an unexpected encounter with the red-hot Joel) until she even she is pushed too far.

Sarah England writes with a fluid casual style that makes it impossible to put this book down. Her humour is sharp and relevant and (although a few of the jokes are repeated), she had me laughing out loud on countless occasions.

Great writing, which made for easy reading. Totally recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly compulsive read, 26 Sep 2013
kb walker (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Expected (Kindle Edition)
On the surface Sam, the main character and narrator, is a hopeless airhead bumbling her way through life trying to live up to everyone's expectations from her mad mother to her repulsive psychotic boyfriend, with a horrible boss thrown in. Yet somehow, I liked her and found the book compulsive reading. A sure sign of good writing. The satisfying ending left me with a smile on my face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Expected (Paperback)
I LOVED this book. A well-written, funny tale about former-nurse Sam, who's found herself in an unsatisfying relationship while dealing with all the other issues life throws at us. Struggling with a career-change, and work/life balance Sam is a flesh-and-blood flawed heroine you just can't forget. She's not a one dimensional `Little Miss Perfect' which for me made her so much more real and had me rooting for her throughout. Sarah England's writing style is brilliant - chatty and casual yet it draws you in so easily - it's like a friend is telling you what happened next. Not only is it very funny, the novel also examines other life issues, making you question relationships and people's behaviour along the way. All in all a fantastic read, just turn off your phone and be prepared to lose yourself for a while in Sam's crazy life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Expected, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: Expected (Paperback)
If you are going to buy only one novel this year, then it should be Expected. Sarah England has written a wonderful story. I couldn't put the book down when I started because I wanted to know more about Sam Sweet's struggles. Sarah has taken Sam on a wonderful rollercoaster journey. You fall in love with Sam as you learn about her constant problems. In this book the underdog is everyone's hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly entertaining, 13 Jan 2014
C. Plunkett (Brighton UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Expected (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the most entertaining books I've ever read. Firstly I was drawn to the fabulous cover design and from the very first paragraph the character of Sam Sweet totally engaged and captivated me. I read the entire book in two evenings as I simply couldn't put it down. The author has such a talent for creating realistic characters and a story line full twists and plenty of humour. One of my favourite sentences describing a character had me laughing out loud, here's a little taster - 'Bernie, meanwhile, crosses her twiglet legs in her mini-skirt so often she could start a fire.' Hilarious!
I would highly recommend this book and will be looking out for more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam's story...., 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Expected (Paperback)
We join our heroine, Sam Sweet, on a roller-coater ride as she faces the increasing pressures of her horrible boyfriend, anxious mother, devious work colleagues and sexy new boss. Does she falter? Yes, all the time. She suffers, and we suffer with her, until finally she manages to find her way through, and we're finally able to give her a cheer. Written with energy, humour, and a joyful eye for the grotesque, this is a great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and easy reading, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Expected (Kindle Edition)
This novel had me laughing while I waited to have root canal treatment at the dentist. For that alone it deserves five stars. I also read it all. Which these days I only do if I am enjoying a book. There are too many good ones to waste time. A very entertaining read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Red hot real life drama, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Expected (Paperback)
I have read many books in my time but this has got to be the most tumultuous journey I ever gone on that's not my own. She captures true to life drama with a hint of humour that runs through our own lives. Sometimes you sympathise, sometimes you want to slap sense into the woman. A lot of what takes place beggers belief and how she comes through it all you never know. All I know is you will be thoughly entertained or enraged all the way through. One NOT to be missed!
Love you, Sarah.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be dazzled, 5 Nov 2013
SSmith (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Expected (Kindle Edition)
"Prepare to be dazzled" - a line from this book and also my advice to those about to read it. This novel had me laughing out loud all the way through. The protagonist, Sam, is in a mess and goes on a hilarious journey of self discovery. The writing style is very direct, with Sam often addressing the reader directly, and the whole thing moves along at a fast and exciting pace. One of the best chick lit novels I've read this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Depths, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: Expected (Kindle Edition)
I've just finished reading Expected and to be fair it wasn't what I expected at all! What I thought I was getting was a humorous romantic romp, what I got was something a lot more thought provoking than that. There are some serious issues in this book: emotional abuse for one, how easy it is to find yourself trapped in life, the illusion often attached to freedom of choice. All heavy issues but wrapped up in a wonderful sense of humour that prevents it from becoming depressing - an admiral achievement. All the way through I was rooting for our beleaguered heroine, Sam Sweet, to see the light concerning the dastardly Simon. Sam's mother too was another tragi-comic character that Sam needed to stand up to. The ending was good but I'd quite liked to have seen Sam stride into the sunset in need of no one but herself - the fact that I wanted that shows how much the character had come to mean to me. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›