My daughters liked this film a lot and me I found it entertaining, clever and VERY amusing, especially the fragments in which discreet jokes for adults were included, like the wonderful cameos by Ludvig van Beethoven, Kirk Douglas and Bill Clinton (I lost half of my popcorn because of this last one). Below, more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS...
Published 5 months ago by Maciej

3.0 out of 5 stars IT IS AN ADOPTIVE RELATIONSHIP
Published 4 months ago by The Movie Guy

5.0 out of 5 stars "Sherman, I formally forbid you to fight in Trojan War!" "But Mr Peabody, all my friends fight in Trojan War!", 18 Feb 2014
Maciej "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mr. Peabody and Sherman [DVD] (DVD)

The character of Mr Peabody appeared first on "Rocky and Bullwinkle show" in the late 50s, before starring in its own TV series, "Peabody's Improbable History" in the 60s. Those series told about famous characters from the past being visited by a dog named Mr Peabody (world's greatest genius) and his pet boy Sherman. This film is a highly modernized version of this latter show.

Unlike in the series, Mr Peabody walks mostly on two legs, treats Sherman as his son and not as a pet and is also much funnier and more likeable - in the old series Mr Peabody was a colder, more distant, more cynical character. In the series Sherman was slightly dim - in the film however he is just a regular 7-years old boy, may be just more enthusiastic, cheerful and kind-hearted than most.

Raised by a highly civilized and peace-loving father, Sherman is a very gentle child - which, once he starts school makes him an ideal target for the the alpha bully in his class, the abominable Penny Peterson, a girl cute as a button, spoiled like month old steak, mischievous like a cohort of leprechauns and as mean as a rattlesnake...))) One thing leading to another, poor Mr Peabody is forced into peace talks with Penny's parents and tries to reconcile the two kids - and at that moment the REAL troubles begin...

As I already said, this is a delightful film, both for children and for adults. Children oriented fun is of course the main treat, but adults will also find a lot in this film, like some short lessons on followic topics:

"Definition of smell of victory in Bronze Age" by Agamemnon

"Comparative value of currency in American mating rituals" by George Washington and Benjamin Franklin

"Female sense of humour in Italian Renaissance" by Mona Lisa

"Everything you always wanted to know about eviscerating princesses but were afraid to ask" by King Tut

"Basic headology" by Robespierre

"Solving father issues with moderate genocide" musical presentation by Greater Ajax (featuring The Achaeans)

"Pizza and ancient fortifications - analysis of a duality" by Ulysses

"Dog day afternoon - an earful" by Van Gogh

"Reflection on emptiness and fulfillment of timber" by Trojan Horse

"Raising a child - a dendrological new take on an old problem" by Leonardo Da Vinci

"Taming of a shrew - case study" by Sherman

But all of this is nothing compared to, sorry for repeating it once again, cameos by Ludvig van Beethoven, Kirk Douglas and Bill Clinton. Your children in principle will not understand them - but in the theatre where I saw this film the adults almost rolled on the floor at those moments...)))

My daughters liked this film a lot, I liked it A LOT TOO, and we are so going to buy it on DVD as soon as it is available! Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars The animation is beautiful, 6 Jun 2014
This review is from: Mr. Peabody and Sherman [DVD] (DVD)
Taking this film on just the animation, I would buy it only for that. Seriously, the cgi in this film is breathtakingly beautiful. I thought the stylized look was really nice and the lighting and tones of the skin beautiful. The story was good, not the best animated film ever but very charming. But it is definitely eye candy for those who love animation for animation sake. I really enjoyed it, thought it was well directed and very different from a lot of other animated films coming out. A very good film

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Entertaining, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Mr. Peabody and Sherman [DVD] (DVD)
I thoroughly enjoyed this at the cinema, and agree the date of release should be included. I would recommend to all for the realistic atmosphere created during the film and the links to historic events. I am glad it isn't to fantasy, and some parts really made me feel sorry for the characters, especially as things don't go as well as they were planned. I would also like to say how well some of the mistakes the people may of made were solved so the historic events would still seem like they are today.

5.0 out of 5 stars We've seen this film 9 times!, 22 May 2014
My 7 year old daughter has autism and has been getting used to going to the cinema over the last year or so. She has enjoyed a number of films but they haven't always engaged her sufficiently for her to see them through to the end. This however was a huge favourite from the start - she loved it and so did we. It's visually interesting with very appealing characters for her (personally I like Agamemnon best!) and with enough historical interest and humour for us. It reminded me of Bill and Ted which is no bad thing in my book. It's just as well we liked it as she has insisted on going back to see it 9 times...she almost knows it off by heart now. I suspect some parents have had a less positive experience because their children are just too young for this film - I would say it's appropriate for 5-10 year olds (and their parents!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pro-education, pro-history, pro-friendship film with a lot of action., 17 May 2014
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Despite of my age, I love watching animation films, especially the ones which are made for the universal audience, i.e. that are as interesting to children as well as to adults (thanks to some inside jokes and adult humour). In this, "Mr Peabody and Sherman" starts out very promisingly, with brainy intellectual dog Peabody and his adopted son Sherman time-travelling to the French Revolution, giving a history lesson packaged up in crazy hi-jinks, ah isn't it the best form of educational entertainment? No, not really. I wonder how many kids aged 5 to 12 will remember Marie-Antoinette and her cakes, and how many will remember the "hilarious" passage of Mr Peabody and Sherman through the Paris sewers?

The lessons continue (from Renaissance Italy to Sparta and Trojan Horse, I wonder, again, how many kids will put 2 and 2 together and understand the Spartan war after seeing this film? I bet for many of them it would be just a huge wooden horse as means of transportation), but, surprisingly, it's not all about history. The film ventures into serious contemporary moral territory. There is a bullying story - Sherman being tormented by his school's queen bee. Then there is a situation with the legality of Mr Sherman's court case granting him right to adopt ("I see no reason why a dog can't adopt a boy.") - I wonder how many kids will find this subtle "mixed-race" content amusing?

If you are an adult accompanying a child to the film, just enjoy the "food for though", the narrative's time-travel component allows for plenty of action that kids will enjoy, especially when forced circumstances lead to Sherman and Penny (the girl who bullies him at school) using the time machine unsupervised and tour a number of historical eras, from Ancient Egypt (where Penny is a bride of Tutankhamen) to Renaissance Italy (where Peabody inspires Mona Lisa's smile and Sherman is once again bullied by Penny, to fly Da Vinci's prototype of a modern airplane). I highly doubt young viewers will leave the theatre filled to the brim with academic knowledge. But it's a visually great film with a lot of action, which I do not doubt kids will enjoy, and a lot of adult humour adults will appreciate. As an adult, I would give it solid three stars, but taking into account that this film tries really hard to be pro-education, pro-history, pro-friendship (although I still do not get how come Penny turned from bully to Sherman's best friend within a matter days), I give it 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 12 July 2014
D. Lewis "luckyeddy" (Romford England) - See all my reviews
Absolutely Fantastic! I Loved every moment and wished it was longer. Why anyone could possible leave any negative comments about this movie is beyond me? You will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I don't get it!", 1 July 2014
This review is from: Mr. Peabody and Sherman [DVD] (DVD)
This is a delightful animated family movie based on a segment from a 1950s and 60s American TV series. The previous attempt to make a film from the same show (Rocky and Bullwinkle i9n the mid 90s) was absolutely dire, however this fine toon makes amends in full, with its little-known but well-selected voice cast (Ty Burrell, Stanley Tucci and Ariel Winter to name but three), bright and breezy animated style, and zany, timey-wimey storyline.
Featuring a host of historical characters, including Marie Antoinette and Leonardo da Vinci, crazy inventions, and a hilariously super-smart dog in the eponymous Mr Peabody, this is one of those movies that adults will undoubtedly get more out of, but that has ample interest for children of all ages too.

4.0 out of 5 stars So half way through, I turned to my grandson and said...., 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Mr. Peabody and Sherman [DVD] (DVD)
"Do you realise, we appear to be watching a movie about a time travelling Dog?" He didn't answer, he was too engrossed.
I have never seen the original, and have nothing to compare it to (or is that "with") so my grandson and I have just taken this on its merits.
So: Animated kids movie with adult jokes- check. Boy meets girl, falls in love, uses his parents time machine without asking permission- check. Loads of historical characters giving ample opportunity to have fun with well known figures- oh yes, check. (in fact, on this last point, why has no one mentioned the very real cap being doffed towards "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"?)
Basic plot. Genius Dog and adoptive human son travel back and forth through time to learn history. The lad gets bullied by a girl, who, for reasons not too important, gets him to "borrow" the time machine and thereafter, trouble and chaos ensues. Due to the requirement for happy ever after, a method is found to make everything right, and the scene is nicely set for "Peabody and Sherman- the TV series"
The deadpan delivery of Mr Peabody- the dog, in case you were wondering- is what makes this movie. That and the script. Sharp, funny- sometimes coffee splutteringly so- and well balanced between the serious and the slapstick, the writing is a bit of a triumph.
The jokes aimed at adults- the cameos of Beethoven, Spartacus, and Bill Clinton in particular but not exclusively- are brilliant, and blink-and-you'll-miss-em brief. (the Spartacus and Clinton ones appear towards the end and are within a minuite of each other and are quite frankly, the highlight of the film)
It's warm, fuzzy, funny, sharp, and has a dog parent who travels through time. What is not to like? If you haven't seen it, find an excuse. It's worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars IT IS AN ADOPTIVE RELATIONSHIP, 17 Mar 2014
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mr. Peabody and Sherman [DVD] (DVD)
Having grown up watching the original cartoon, I was a bit disappointed in the film. That is not to say kids won't enjoy it, but an old guy like me will just shake his head. On the plus side of the coin is the modern animation. They managed to keep the pun aspect of the cartoon, although my selective memory believes the older cartoon was more intellectual in that regard, On the negative side was the voices. I didn't like them. Sherman was okay, but not great. Peabody sounded like "Uncle Martin" from "My Favorite Martian" trying to imitate someone on "The Big Bang Theory." Hint: They named the blond "Penny."

Sherman ends up developing feelings for the most contemptible girl in school simply because she is blond with big blue eyes. When social services shows a prejudice against a dog adopting a boy, even though the court approved it, I couldn't help think there was an underlying message for child viewers that "different" parents can adopt children too. Not that I am against gay people adopting children, I just thought it was interesting for the creators of the film to introduce this side bar.

I did like Ariel Winter as the voice of Penny.

I liked the ending of past individuals using modern devices.

5.0 out of 5 stars dvd, 22 April 2014
This review is from: Mr. Peabody and Sherman [DVD] (DVD)
hello i would like to know when this dvd gets released as it doesnt say on your page thank you.

Mr. Peabody and Sherman [DVD]
Mr. Peabody and Sherman [DVD] by Rob Minkoff (DVD - 2014)
10.00