on 25 March 2016
I own about 4 ABUS locks, lifelong fan and believer, mostly the Granite Extreme Plus which are great. I've only ever lost a bike to one ABUS lock and that was an obsolete Granite Lightweight Carbon lock which wasn't that secure anyway. I got given one of these uGrips as a prize a couple of years ago and although the old saying goes "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" I'm going to have to say something about this lock. It is bad. Heavy, Bulky, not as good protection as other just slightly more expensive ABUS locks. And most importantly the pointless silicon outer casing; the rubber just gets in the way, it makes it difficult to lock the bike to posts, it catches in the spokes, the larger side might not even fit through your spokes and you should be locking your bike through the back wheel. Ask Sheldon Brown. I know it's eye catching on the shelf, it feels sturdy yet soft, a bit like Hattie Jacques in Carry On Matron. But trust me, put it back on the shelf. If it's a secondary lock then yes it could be for the frame and the silicon might protect your paintwork but it's a heavy not so hot lock to be carrying around as a secondary lock. To top it off, the silicon gets grubby very fast and eventually degrades, the barrel section of mine has crumbled away leaving the ugly innards exposed and possibly tempting the bike thieves to have a go. It's not worth the money, buy a different lock. ABUS should really discontinue this lock and tell the rubber loving designer who dreamed it up to move onto designing dildos or something that needs so much silicon.
on 17 August 2015
This lock is much heavier than I expected, which only means it's tough, so it's a good thing, but I have a full sized folding bike and it's too big to be fitted on it, so I have to carry it in my rucksack when I need it, and it feels like carying a bat'leth. Seriously, you could kill someone with it.
Another thing is it's colour. My bike is white, so I wanted to be fancy and have a white d-lock, but after only one day of use in the streets of London it looks so dirty... You should either clean it every day or use it only indoors. Oh, it even has a led light on the key, so you know it's high end.
To sum up, this is a great looking lock that feels extremely secure, but make sure it's right for you before you spend a lot of money on it.
on 19 August 2014
I don't understand why don't all D-locks come in this type of silicon sleeve. It feels great to touch and will never damage the paint on your bicycle frame or rims. I also think it will make it a bit more difficult to use a bolt-cutter since those can't open too wide.
It's only a level 10 security lock (Abus' own security rating system from 1 to 15) unlike the level 15 of the Abus Granit series, but then again nothing is indestructable, so if someone really wants to steal your bike they will find a way to do it. Also the green colour makes it really stand out which is what a deterrent should do.
My only complaint is that the keyhole cover isn't spring activated or that you can't lock it without the key inside.
on 1 August 2015
This lock is great, it's very sturdy and very heavy. I would be surprised if thieves could break in to it without some serious high powered electric tools. It is rubberised which means it hasn't damaged my bike at all, although as I said it is very heavy.

The lock is easy to use and the key hole has a little slider to protect it from the elements. I have given it 4 instead of 5 because after several months of use with an extra cable looped around it, the rubber has started to get damaged. This wont affect the security of it but it makes it look less cool.
on 7 January 2014
Sadly it's heavy but keeps people too scared to approach your bike.

Seems to be very strong and the lock is triple barrelled so very difficult to get through with no key.

Very good lock highly recommend
on 30 October 2014
Solid are a rock and will make your bike unstealable. On the heavy side though.
on 23 December 2015
Solid and does the job. I don't think you are going to get this off in a hurry
on 1 March 2015
Good strong lock but fitting instructions were a bit vague
on 24 November 2015
Excellent security and coating protects the bike..