5.0 out of 5 stars Great mixes.
Another excellently compiled collection in the Masterpiece series.Superbly mixed set from the master Carl Craig who takes the listener on a journey through his influences...Heartily recommended.
Published 10 months ago by Graham Henry

3.0 out of 5 stars If you're expecting a 3-disc 'Sessions', look elsewhere
Well I'm trying to love this because I'm an admirer of Craig's work and was very much looking forward to a 3 disc contemporary techno journey, but I'm not surprised that he's tried to make a statement using this package by taking a completely different approach, however disappointed it has left me feeling.

So...
Disc 1 - old school house and tech house...
Published 10 months ago by bosscat2

3.0 out of 5 stars If you're expecting a 3-disc 'Sessions', look elsewhere, 1 Oct 2013

So...
Disc 1 - old school house and tech house electro with a few Craig remixes - so so.
Disc 2 - old school soul, blues, R&B then oddly a dub techno track from Von Oswald and a couple of average detroit techno tracks from back in the day
Disc 3.... experimental original work that is ultimately lacking in fresh ideas and themes to carry it over it's 70-odd minutes.

Does it work cohesively, or is it disjointed...looking at the above, what do you think?

Brave indeed, but it fails to be a classic Craig work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mixes., 25 Sep 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I had hoped it would be!, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: Masterpiece (Audio CD)
As soon as I heard about this I ordered it on pre-release.

This really is 3 different CD's all in the 1 package.

CD1 - Is what you'd normally expect from Carl Craig's live sets. Actually, there is a subtle difference, it's slightly more upbeat and funky than the usual hard driving techno beats. Only slightly, mind you!

Highlights from CD1 are hard to put forward but I've always loved Tom Trago's "Use me again" and Carl's remix is spot on. Ben Sims is another class act and his track "Straight from Bolivia" follows delightfully on from the Egyptian Lover track.

A mention too for Kyle Hall's opening track "Zug Island". Carl picks this out in the liner notes as a new Detroit producer who's starting to make an impact on the scene. It's not someone I've heard of before but the scratchy, dark and brooding start is great but I feel it lasts about a minute too long before the proper beat kicks in with Macronism's "Beat from Barcelona"

CD2 - Is even better than I could have expected. It's billed as Carl's "Inspiration" but I was concerned when I read that the first track, "In the Jungle" was one he'd only recently discovered and therefore couldn't really be classed as inspiration. However, I have to say that this is a brilliant start to the CD and I absolutely love it. I've already started looking up more by "The Messengers".

Also on this disc is a complete range if differing tracks, from Jazz (Melody Gardot & Tribe), to techno (E-Dancer & Derrick May) to R&B (Erykah Badu & DeBarge) & old school blues musician Muddy Waters.

CD3 - This is the real oddity and potentially the main attraction for many.

I haven't given this that much attention. It's very definitely on the Ambient side of things, (well it would be when it's named "Meditation"!) and therefore not my cup of tea.

I've listened to it once so far and my main comments are the tension and dynamics of the slow rhythms work well together to bring an almost cinematic landscape to your stereo (reminds me a little of Disc 1 0n Hybrid's "Soundsystem 01" album, only even more downbeat). It's very calming but also tensely dramatic in places. You do feel there is an untold story behind each track. The one I preferred most was Meditation 2 but I'm sure each listener will end up with their own "Meditation" preference.

So, why should you get this? In my opinion the variety on display here is outstanding. You get your expected techno mix and an interesting ambient selection of new tracks but the real key to why you should get this is CD2. I've been playing this on repeat from the day it arrived. Love it! Well done Carl, your inspiration is inspiring!

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't go far wrong with this one., 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Masterpiece (Audio CD)
Carl Craig knows his craft. Three disks, three styles, and as a package top notch. The price does not represent the quality, I'd encourage anyone with an interest in house/techno to buy this, you won't be disappointed.