Format: DVD|Change

on 20 August 2015
I was a fan of Wolverine since long before Hugh Jackman took on the role but he is something of an added bonus. This was always going to be a winner for me. The Wolverine could not have been cast better. Not too many dodgy special effects, a nice, human storyline and not too much Hollywood schmaltz. This had the potential to be a really bad spin-off but we were pleasantly surprised.
VINE VOICEon 7 August 2014
After the dust had fallen from the greatly anticipated 2009 film ‘X-Men Origins: Wolverine’, it was widely flawed by fans and critics as a general disappointment to the X-Men universe and the character of Wolverine himself. Populated with as many mutants as they could use for “fan-boy” pleasing, X-Men comic nods to pin a story together, a number of big name stars who appeared amongst a heavy CGI action story, it left audiences with a sour taste in their mouths. So with the 4 year gap between films, another Wolverine headlined adventure taking place AFTER the original X-Men trilogy serving as a sequel than prequel (keep up…), this was the chance to prove that the character had a real core to be discovered and make up for a failed attempt at giving fans the hero they wanted.

I was one of the many fans disappointed by ‘Origins’ and feared another Wolverine film would simply add insult to injury. Thankfully, I was proved wrong and am so glad I was. This film is the one that eradicates ‘Origins’ as shows us a hero already established but one where there is real character development, a good story and brilliant action used sparingly but effectively.

The action is nothing new in the modern super-hero rule book, but this is a brutal and painful looking story where Jackman really owns the character more than ever, and every punch, kick and slice is felt and we even have blood stained claws at one point! The CGI is there but it is never used for the sake of it, only to enhance dangerous scenes or “super” powers that couldn’t be done in reality which I’m happy to see. There’s a violent grace to the fight sequences that appeals to all fans without being TOO violent to isolate younger fans. If anything, the Silver Samurai is a little under-used as a main threat, but it does the job of being a CGI throw-away villain and certainly looks good but never really feels as evil as it could have been.

The supporting cast is largely unknown to Western audiences, but that isn’t a bad thing because we take them for who they are – talented and understanding of their role, and authentic too. Taking away Hugh Jackman as the main pull for Western audiences, the rest of the cast is largely European and Asian as the film is based in Japan and it looks so good because of it. Not globetrotting, but developing a feeling for the country and its important history to help enhance Logan’s story and the poignancy being there. The only actor I recognised with Will Yun Lee as Harada, head of the Black Ninja Clan, who starred as Colonel Moon in 2002 Bond film ‘Die Another Day’. However Okamoto and Fukushima are great alongside Jackman and make their characters far more fleshed out and emotive than you could hope for.

With a great visual style (the opening scenes on 1945 Nagasaki are beautiful, yet terrifyingly shot), and a far greater understanding of the Wolverine character by director Mangold, this is the film X-Men fans deserved for Hugh Jackman to really get his claws into and show how excellent an actor he is and the passion he puts into the role he has made his own. A thrilling soundtrack adds to the excitement, and the film leaves room to develop Wolverine even more as a character, which is exciting to feel rather than wishing it would be over as we did in 2009.

And the post-credits sequence is something truly wonderful for X-Men fans that lead us perfectly into the era of ‘Days Of Future Past’. I just never thought I’d say this, but I can’t wait to see more of the Wolverine, because this film has reminded me how excellent a character he is.
on 11 February 2016
Definitley the strongest X-men related film to date. Hugh Jackman explodes onto the screen, set after X-Men the last stand, Wolverine struggles to live with his actions during his confrontation with Phoenix. A closer more personal story that takes us back to one of Wolverines earlier adventures and the consequences and impact he had on an individual whose life he saved.
With amazing action sequences, a brilliant cast and stunning oriental setting, Wolverine has never felt more out of place, yet addictive than he does here. Facing off against a family fued of three generations, with his very mortality threatened, can Wolverine unravel the huge web that is the Yashida family and figure out who's really pulling the string, while fighting off Yakuza, Samurai and the deadly mutant Viper.
Definitley recommended and definitely the strongest X-men and Wolverine outing to date.
on 13 August 2014
The Wolverine is a solid, safe film. The pacing is right on; the action scenes are relentless, the poignant scenes are breathless,
and the dialog is sharp. there is a compelling story, a well-written script and a *superb* cast.
Unfortunately this film has some major flaws:
The unbelievably weak villain, known as Viper. We don't get a Viper back up storie, so the character looks very one-dimensional.
The rediculusy climatic battle with the twist of the big samurai thing.
I think it destroyed the whole movie, from being awesome to just good. The film's final act sink into CGI boredom.
In this final act Mangold slips a little, digressing back into a standard cartoonish antics movie instead of genuine substance.
It plays things safe for the most part, giving the viewer more or less what they expect but not pushing things beyond that.
on 14 December 2013
My husband really wanted to check out The Wolverine due to being a big fan of the Wolverine films. We checked it out together and I noticed that this good film centers around the Wolverine character (played by Hugh Jackman) striking up an expected frienship bond with an attractive but skilled fighter female and a beautiful but vulnerable woman years after saving the life of a soldier in Japan during the second World War. The Wolverine reunites with the man in Japan years later to say goodbye as he is also asked to look after his granddaughter. There is much more to this film, but I must refrain from saying more for those who haven't yet seen the 2013 Wolverine film. However, The Wolverine is perfect for the person on your life who is a big fan of the Wolverine story (my husband greatly enjoyed the plot development and acting in this film).
on 27 January 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I am a massive Marvel fan and did enjoy the original X-Men trilogy (and to an extent even Origins: Wolverine) however this instalment is so different and fresh that I'd go as far as to say it is the best of the series so far.

Unlike the others it doesn't have a massive emphasis on the mutants and the whole war with humanity, but instead nicely tells the story of how Wolverine deals with the events of X-Men: The Last Stand. I enjoyed his character development throughout and loved the way they tied this into the upcoming Days of Future Past.

I only gave this a 4/5 because as much as I enjoyed the story I do think that some parts of the film tended to be a little too slow.

I would highly recommend this to X-Men and comic book fans alike.
on 13 February 2014
Yes! Finally a brilliant adaption of Wolverine & how it should be.
The Origins story was good for the first part of how he became the monster that is Wolverine. But this part of his comic book life in Japan & all his troubles was brilliant and partly with his origins like World War II etc. The only thing I was missing was more mutants in it.
Viper is a kick ass version of Madame Hydra and such a venomous bitch and brilliant main villain together with Silver Samurai who was more of a robotic suit trying to take wolverine out at the end nothing like his comic book origins but still better. Its more modern and just better produced and acted than the Origins tale which don't get me wrong I still like but this is far better.

A all round brilliant and must see verison of Wolverine!
on 9 May 2014
I am generally a huge fan of the X-Men movies but this was pretty crap. Pretty lame plot and not nearly enough mutants. If you are a fan, as am I, then you have to watch it but compared to all the others it is a very poor effort in my opinion!
on 26 January 2014
Hamstrung by the central character's near-total passivity, Mangold's film makes a reasonable fist of a difficult proposal. Just how do you make the angsty emo of the Marvel universe into an engaging hero? The answer, according to this outing, is to prop him up with some decently-drawn supporting characters and let the scenery do the rest.

Jackman's obvious love of the character shines throughout the film, but he struggles to exteriorise Logan's central existential dilemma, with the result that our hero comes off as cold, aloof and reluctant throughout the film.

Better than X-Men Origins: Wolverine (much better, in fact) but still not quite reaching the elusively out-of-reach brass ring of being a good Wolverine film.
on 19 January 2014
As a Wolverine fan of many years, I absolutely loved this movie. It's a great reworking of the Claremont/Miller Japan story arc and an interesting look at the character of Wolverine. However.. the Blu-Ray (and the DVD, for that matter) release is somewhat disappointing. It is extremely thin on extras. I'm not sure I've ever bought a movie DVD/Blu-Ray with so few extras. And both the movie itself and the Blu-Ray release leave me wondering what on earth happened to the explosive (literally) footage from the village fight scene that was included in all the movie trailers (and presumably cost quite a bit to film) and yet was not in either the cinematic or DVD/Blu-Ray release of the movie, not even in the (very limited) extra features.